• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green Lantern sells for $600k

81 posts in this topic

Call it what you will, IMHO, high art is usualy some high artist expressing his opinion to the right audience. The rest of us just go WTF!

There is some truth to that of course, but the proper investment of the viewers time is required to make that decision. To an outsider, isn't a kirby comic just kids ? After learning why that was important in this field you know what it stands for and can see it's merits. It's no different really.

That being said an artist who needs 4 pages of a statement to get you to understand what he is doing is missing the point. I DO think art should be accesible to the people, and that does not preclude it from being appreciated by the elite. That's what I strive for.

Call it what you will, IMHO, high art is usualy some high artist expressing his opinion to the right audience. The rest of us just go WTF!

There is some truth to that of course, but the proper investment of the viewers time is required to make that decision. To an outsider, isn't a kirby comic just kids ? After learning why that was important in this field you know what it stands for and can see it's merits. It's no different really.

That being said an artist who needs 4 pages of a statement to get you to understand what he is doing is missing the point. I DO think art should be accesible to the people, and that does not preclude it from being appreciated by the elite. That's what I strive for.

thanks for an artist's insight matthew.

Thanks for making me feel bad for saying it looks like azz, Matthew. :sorry:

I feel bad, but it still looks like azz. :shy:

I like the Ramos more than any given Rothko.

http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4ADBF_enUS295US295&q=ROTHKO&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=JU6pSYvgFtLjtgep-73VDw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

All in all, I think there needs to be an examination of super heros as token symbols of the unconscious in the fine art canon and this piece begins to engage this question.

Here is a working link for the Ramos Batman. I got a call from an 86 year old guy about wanted to buy some comics. After a little discussion about original art I found out he had an original Mel Ramos painting up on his wall. Back in the 60's he traded Mel Ramos a stack of golden age comics (Including a Detective 35) for the painting. The current owner had no idea is was worth this kind of money. I knew he wouldn't sell it to me so we worked out a deal to sell it in current Heritage Auction that's ending tonight.

http://fineart.ha.com/itm/fine-art-painting/mel-ramos-b-1935-a-sinister-figure-lurks-in-the-shadows-1962-oil-on-canvas-18-3-8-x-13-1-4-inches-467-x-337-cm-total-3-items-/a/5262-69028.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

That's the thing with fine art. You can't look at an image without knowing the backstory to make any sort of informed decision. When was this done? Who else was doing this at the time? What risks did the artist take?, what was the artist saying about current culture? Is a "poorly painted" green lantern from the 60's less important to the human condition than a poorly painted Jesus from the 1500's? It's an entirely different ballgame, and much more study into the piece needs to be done before it can be dismissed.

^^

The socio-intellectual milieu :cloud9:

:cloud9:

That's the thing with fine art. You can't look at an image without knowing the backstory to make any sort of informed decision. When was this done? Who else was doing this at the time? What risks did the artist take?, what was the artist saying about current culture? Is a "poorly painted" green lantern from the 60's less important to the human condition than a poorly painted Jesus from the 1500's? It's an entirely different ballgame, and much more study into the piece needs to be done before it can be dismissed.

^^

The socio-intellectual milieu :cloud9:

:cloud9:

That was really well said shiver (thumbs u

Yeah, I think that GL painting is pretty bad, especially by comic book standards, but it's probably cheap for someone who just wants something by Ramos. I agree that some of his nudes are fantastic and are probably worth the price, but definitely not this GL. And certainly not his Superman, which looks like he's posing for gay p0rn.

Still, this Catwoman is pretty cool.

158518.jpg.b969389d30538e67057efe7a7bc3b0cf.jpg

colors are nice. hand holding whip is gimpy. chest looks like purple naked breasts instead of breasts under clothing.

as an illustration, its really nothing special. As fine art, I couldn't tell you.