• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registered CGC mailing from 2/12 still among the missing

144 posts in this topic

Hi.

My package was shipped 2/11.

I got an official case #. They told me my reg. insured shipped out of Tampa and that it was never recieved in JFK airport...............and that I should start a claim.

I underinsured and am out a MASSIVE amount. Most ever in my life. I am so bugged out about this!

I know one other person who is missing a package from NYC so lets all cross our fingers. And if youknowwho starts selling our books I live 20 mins from his house!

Good Luck,

Sean

I hope they just "missplaced them" but when I saw the last post it worried me for sure. Does CGC cover the $$ for the books plus the grading? or is it just the original estimated value. There were 2 I was hoping and praying :wishluck: for bronze Avengers 9.8's (thumbs u

Best of luck to you as well :wishluck:

WEBHEAD

There is indeed a Federal investigation going on. I don't know anything more than that. Looks like we are all going to have to file claims and just get our "insured amount". I'm probably out $500 but I sympathize with those of you who are out a lot more. I have to start my claim process Monday. This is really a shame. Mine was a Phantom Lady 17:( At least those are not that common and mine is distinguishable if the thief starts to sell it.

Seriously, don't sweat it. My last two packages from CGC.

One took over 2 weeks to arrive while the other was back in less then 5 days.

I agree completely - you are nowhere near worry-time for registered mail.

At 4 weeks I would be worried.

What is driving me nuts is that you can track a priority mail but register mail seems invisible.

I'm trying to call 800-222-1811 first.

WEBHEAD

Tracking on registered mail appears to use the old-fashioned system until delivery. My understanding is that each postal employee responsible for the package must physically sign for it, establishing an old-fashioned paper-trail. I do not believe it is electronically scanned except at mailing and delivery.

Which is exactly why registered priority mail takes longer than normal priority mail (thumbs u

I DONT WANT MY INSURED AMOUNT! I WANT MY BOOKS! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I will post a list of the 8 books inside this package in a bit. If they ever surface again they will be unmistakable.

I guess I will start my claim Monday. Cuz this week sucked! OFF TO A BOOZE FILLED WEEKEND! DID I MENTION I FIGURE I AM OUT 6K!

I will post a list of the 8 books inside this package in a bit. If they ever surface again they will be unmistakable.

I guess I will start my claim Monday. Cuz this week sucked! OFF TO A BOOZE FILLED WEEKEND! DID I MENTION I FIGURE I AM OUT 6K!

That is friggin' awful - my sympathies.

This is really terrible. Aside from reigstered mail, can't CGC ship it out by other means? Like overnight perhaps?

Honestly this is not CGC's fault. They try to ship the safest way possible. They also accomodate with UPS or Fed Ex I have seen. It depends on the account/way the person wants the books to be shipped to them I think.

I never thought of the overnight option though. (shrug)

You should ask CGC how they insure the books when they are coming back to you. When I insure my books going to CGC I go by either guide or whatever I paid. I can't estimate based on the final grade since I don't know what that is. But say you have a nice Hulk 181 which you think is a 9.2 and you insure it as a 9.2. Let's say they grade it a 9.8. Do they insure for the what the book is now worth?

Does the answer change if they call you up and ask you to pay more because your books moved to a higher tier because the grades were higher than expected? hm

This is really terrible. Aside from reigstered mail, can't CGC ship it out by other means? Like overnight perhaps?

I'm sure they can. IF you want your shipping charges to triple. CGC can't be responsible for what is obviously a problem with the PO in this case.

But it would be interesting to know how they determine what to insure the packages for. The amount you stated on the invoice or an amount based on the final grade. Obviously those two amounts could be world's apart if they grade a bunch of 9.8s that you thought were 9.4s.

They do not call back and ask you if you want to up your original insurance amount. What you write on the form goes. I think you can call back and ask for it to be raised if it is in a timely manner reasonable to your shipping date.

I'm sure they can. IF you want your shipping charges to triple. CGC can't be responsible for what is obviously a problem with the PO in this case.

But it would be interesting to know how they determine what to insure the packages for. The amount you stated on the invoice or an amount based on the final grade. Obviously those two amounts could be world's apart if they grade a bunch of 9.8s that you thought were 9.4s.

You set the insurance amount on the way in - on the sub form.

That kind of sucks. How are you supposed to know ahead of time what grade they will give a book and subsequently what it will be worth?

That kind of sucks. How are you supposed to know ahead of time what grade they will give a book and subsequently what it will be worth?

Well, wouldn't you at least be able to guesstimate the value of the book ahead of time? I mean, I wouldn't assume that any of us send in books we think are 9.0's and have them come back as 9.8's from CGC?

I personally do "best case scenario" based on what I think the final grade might be - it would suck to loose books in the mail, but this way I'll be completely compensated if it happens.

I was gambling and doing the cheapest shipping scenario.............................I thought registered insured always made it.

well you learn the hard way. I am NOT going to get burned again.

Well, wouldn't you at least be able to guesstimate the value of the book ahead of time? I mean, I wouldn't assume that any of us send in books we think are 9.0's and have them come back as 9.8's from CGC?

I personally do "best case scenario" based on what I think the final grade might be - it would suck to loose books in the mail, but this way I'll be completely compensated if it happens.

I guess you could do it this way. If you keep insuring Hulk 181s at "best case scenario" of 9.8, which sell for $25K and you keep getting back 9.4s which sell for $2500, you are going to be shelling out a lot of extra money for unnecessary insurance. That's a 10X difference in value for .4 difference in grade. Pretty normal to have a .4 diff in grade at the high end based on what CGC sees from one day to the next.

I guess you could do it this way. If you keep insuring Hulk 181s at "best case scenario" of 9.8, which sell for $25K and you keep getting back 9.4s which sell for $2500, you are going to be shelling out a lot of extra money for unnecessary insurance. That's a 10X difference in value for .4 difference in grade. Pretty normal to have a .4 diff in grade at the high end based on what CGC sees from one day to the next.

$2,500 worth of USPS insurance costs $15.70

$25,000 worth of USPS insurance costs $42.10

If you're sending in books valued in the 4 or 5 digits, are you seriously going to squabble over a measly $25?