• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics # 1 [6.0] Unrestored up up and away!

1,020 posts in this topic

And while we can't predict what books will be collected three generations from now, it is probably safest to say that a vast majority of our children will have no interest in collecting what we collect.

I think most kids who become collectors grow up with a fondness for childhood and those things that remind them of that time. Todays kids don't read as many comics or buy as many cards as they play videogames. Still comic characters are everywhere not just in the comic books. They are in the biggest movies and in the biggest videogames.

I think it is possible for a child to be into the Xmen (or Spiderman or Batman etc) because of the movies and videogames. Then never having read a comic grow up and start tracking them down because he wanted to see how it all started. Once hooked well then it is all about bragging rights and he is eyeing up an unrestored Action #1.

It's the same thing in baseball cards. How many people are Honus Wagner fans and for that matter how many people could tell you he played for the pirates and played shortstop.

and at least 4 unrestored tec 27's (my 3.0, an unrestored vg in a private sale, metro's 6.0 and the brokered 7.0) have changed hands in the last year or so (thumbs u

I had forgotten about Metro's 6.0 copy. Do you remember exactly when it was sold by Metro?

I am actually surprised that they did not put the same hype and PR on the 'Tec 27 as they have done with the Action #1 on this go round. If they had done the same thing with the 'Tec #27, it probably would have sold for a lot more than the measly $160K which it got in the end.

We had this discussion in briefly in another thread, and the real argument is that the availability of ultra-high grade copies of Tec 27 (between 87-92 the Allentown sold twice, the Mile High sold and the 2nd nicest copy sold three times - compared to NO high grade sales of an Action #1) are what caused the price to have a temporary jump over Action #1.

Actually, didn't Kramer acquire his Action 1, which ended up grading out at 8.5, during the 87-92 period?

We had this discussion in briefly in another thread, and the real argument is that the availability of ultra-high grade copies of Tec 27 (between 87-92 the Allentown sold twice, the Mile High sold and the 2nd nicest copy sold three times - compared to NO high grade sales of an Action #1) are what caused the price to have a temporary jump over Action #1.

Actually, didn't Kramer acquire his Action 1, which ended up grading out at 8.5, during the 87-92 period?

I believe it was in SDCC in 91, if memeory serves me correct... PCE VF 78, $137K

It's not so much that an indiviual movie that can effect a book like this as it is the boost it can give to the character's pop culture recognition level. Movies just happen to be a medium that contributes greatly to that recognition level.

I think what could have more of an effect long term is a lack of movies or tv shows and loss of recognition of the character within pop culture. Look at Captain Marvel, Tarzan, the Lone Ranger, Zorro, etc. If two or three decades (i.e. a generation) were to pass with no Superman movies, TV shows or cartoons, what will happen to Action 1? Will it continue to increase in value? Will the demand still be there? It will still be a very historically important book, but then so is Funnies on Parade. :shrug:

Excellent post. I agree completely.

Before buying the Tarzan All-Story pulp, I spoke with friends of mine in Europe and Russia to confirm that the character was well-known there, with local language films, TV shows, and books having been produced about him. Looking back 50 years, there were plenty of characters that were quite popular domestically that are now obscure. A large international awareness is a big help in ensuring continued popularity, as it diversifies the cultures for whom the characters have significance. Look at Donald Duck's durability, for example, despite stagnating under Disney's poor usage of their core characters in the 1980's/90's.

I think worldwide knowledge of Tarzan and Sherlock Holmes, for example, is broad enough to give those characters more durability despite periods of time in which their franchises are stagnant. Not so for the Lone Ranger and possibly Buck Rogers, I'm afraid.

All the smart bidders are waiting till the end.

on an auction like this, where there is extended bidding, the time you initially bid is irrelevant...whether you bid first or last, where the bidding is at now, doesn't matter... so maybe "most" all the smart bidders are waiting till the end (thumbs u

And that started the movement which put Action #1 back on top - a new record cash price being paid for a comic, besting the $82K for the Allentown Tec #27, and the $101K that was paid for the 2nd nicest Tec #27.

And that started the movement which put Action #1 back on top - a new record cash price being paid for a comic, besting the $82K for the Allentown Tec #27, and the $101K that was paid for the 2nd nicest Tec #27.

...and where was all this info when I had my thread about A comparison of biggest keys through the years?

:baiting:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2952424&fpart=1

let me also add, since some folks have inquired about my bidding, that I bid high and early because if I have a ceiling, and someone surpasses that ceiling earlier than later, it is less time I have to worry about "do I have a chance" to win type...

kind of "bidding = relief" mentality (thumbs u