• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics # 1 [6.0] Unrestored up up and away!

1,020 posts in this topic

I wonder if a celebrity or sports star gives [or knows] a hoot about purple or blue labels and would it make a difference to them?

With that aside, I do agree with steves statement above for all the same exact reasons. My difference is that I think its going to take someone from outside the hobby to get the Mega numbers this book has the potential for.

If Michael Jordan makes 30 million dollars a year..... If a gallon of milk costs $5...... If a pair of blue jeans costs $200....If a newspaper cost 50¢....If a cup of coffee costs $3....then that Action #1 is worth at least $500,000.

I wonder if a celebrity or sports star gives [or knows] a hoot about purple or blue labels and would it make a difference to them?

With that aside, I do agree with steves statement above for all the same exact reasons. My difference is that I think its going to take someone from outside the hobby to get the Mega numbers this book has the potential for.

but what celebrity or sports star is now all of a sudden interested in this book that wasnt' before...

when Charlie Sheen and Nic Cage, etc wanted a copy, didn't they goto Metro and Metro found them a copy?...they didn't bid on heritage's copies, or Southeby's etc?

right, they didn't just "discover" action 1 because it was in an auction ,did they (shrug)

the difference is, i am basing my "estimate" on what I am willing to pay, versus just some "fantasy" number that other folks are pulling out of their @$$ or wherever they are getting it from...

My estimate, Mr. "willing to pay" Detective27Kid :baiting: , is based on real life experiences of watching rarely offered Mega-Keys exceed everyones wildest expectations once the dust settles from a high profile auction like this one. Remember when AF15 in 9.4 sold for $227,000?...... old news now, but I remember the shock wave of disbelief throughout our little comics community here when that price was realized.

If a NM AF15 is worth almost a 1/4 Million, and an 8.0 Action 7 is worth $140,000, then it is not a stretch for me at all to imagine this book selling for over 1/2 Million.....especially when you factor in the rarity of a truly unrestored ( no graders notes / blue label ) Fine 6.0 from 1938 ----- that just happens to be the Grail of all Grails for our entire hobby

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, your post would be a big fruitcake. :baiting:

funny how you can learn about someone from the words they post, ain't it?

I certainly learned something today.

So how is ComicConnect's bandwidth? I can imagine 100s of people refreshing this auction over and over and a few snipers missing their bids because of a non-responsive server *

(* Yes, I am a computer guy)

the difference is, i am basing my "estimate" on what I am willing to pay, versus just some "fantasy" number that other folks are pulling out of their @$$ or wherever they are getting it from...

My estimate, Mr. "willing to pay" Detective27Kid :baiting: , is based on real life experiences of watching rarely offered Mega-Keys exceed everyones wildest expectations once the dust settles from a high profile auction like this one. Remember when AF15 in 9.4 sold for $227,000?...... old news now, but I remember the shock wave of disbelief throughout our little comics community here when that price was realized.

If a NM AF15 is worth almost a 1/4 Million, and an 8.0 Action 7 is worth $140,000, then it is not a stretch for me at all to imagine this book selling for over 1/2 Million.....especially when you factor in the rarity of a truly unrestored ( no graders notes / blue label ) Fine 6.0 from 1938 ----- that just happens to be the Grail of all Grails for our entire hobby

I don't pay attention to SA like you do, I will admit...

but I will still say that you have offered no foundation or support for your estimate outside of "watching" and speculation, which was my point to begin with :baiting:

There is no arguing this is undiscovered country for any book as a new price threashold is at hand.Really, you can only intelligently speculate as is the case with any new price threashold.

If Michael Jordan makes 30 million dollars a year..... If a gallon of milk costs $5...... If a pair of blue jeans costs $200....If a newspaper cost 50¢....If a cup of coffee costs $3....then that Action #1 is worth at least $500,000.

I pay $1.99 for a gallon of milk, and $19 for jeans at Old Navy.

but what celebrity or sports star is now all of a sudden interested in this book that wasnt' before...

when Charlie Sheen and Nic Cage, etc wanted a copy, didn't they goto Metro and Metro found them a copy?...they didn't bid on heritage's copies, or Southeby's etc?

right, they didn't just "discover" action 1 because it was in an auction ,did they (shrug)

Im not saying there is a celeb here. Im just wondering.

I think Metro would rather enjoy the promotion of this Action 1 to help promote there website as apposed to selling it to a celebrity privately. Could potentially be worth more in promotion than a big private sale check.

Based on this new info, the book will sell for $75,000.

Based on this new info, the book will sell for $75,000.

:takeit:

Will Hollywood bid?

Will a sports star bid?

Will the bids stay amongst our hobby people.?

Within there is the answer to the final price.

Do you really think Leo DiCaprio or Shaq are going to be sitting by their computer clicking the "refresh" button in a few hours?

I agree with Rick. If these guys wanted an Action 1, this is not the avenue they are going to acquire one. The winning bidder will be someone from the hobby, a collector.

I think Metro would rather enjoy the promotion of this Action 1 to help promote there website as apposed to selling it to a celebrity privately. Could potentially be worth more in promotion than a big private sale check.

This is very true. They have already gotten potentially millions of dollars in free advertising. Front page of USA Today, spots during the national and international news, coverage throughout the hobby itself. What is all of that exposure truly worth?

it is not undiscovered country...

at least 3 other higher grade action 1's have sold over the past 5-10-15 years (sure, economic situations were diff, but that aside)...in public type auctions, and 2 of them at a time when JP was "active" (I believe)... so, I don't consider this auction any more signficant or any more deserving of attracting folks any more than the others (shrug)

This is very true. They have already gotten potentially millions of dollars in free advertising. Front page of USA Today, spots during the national and international news, coverage throughout the hobby itself. What is all of that exposure truly worth?

I think with the all the back and forth economic and political news over the past month, a lot of that publicity got wasted and overlooked.

I'm not sure if tonight will be a historic sale of an iconic comic book or just a really good auction of an Action 1.

Oh, I know what tonight will be. It's pancakes night! :banana:

We have "breakfast for dinner" here at the showcase-4 shack about once a week..... yummy! :cloud9: