• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many collectors ever worked in a comic store as an underaged worker?

33 posts in this topic

:hi:

I worked at Heroes World in the Galleria Mall in White Plains, NY from ages 16 to 18. This would have been around, mmm...1987 or so. Got my first exposure to Cherry Poptart there... :blush:

On a side note, my LCS when I was twelve-years-old was Fantasia, which was owned and run by the infamous Danny Dupcak AKA Robojojo. This was in Hartsdale, NY, around 1983.

Started working at Dreamland Comics in Buffalo Grove IL when it opened in 1991 (formerly a Moondogs Comicland). Worked there starting at 15, ended when I left for college at 18. Not quite underage, but wow, what a job! Wish I could have bought all the Amazing Spiderman 1's that came in the store in low grade. Its amazing what a $100 could buy back then! Having a comic crazed kid working in a comic store is like letting an alcoholic run a liquor store. I amassed about 10,000 books, that got whittled down to the good stuff (full run of daredevil, and about a half run of Strange Tales 1-100, with a good deal of SGT Fury's). Got to be a part of alot of signings (got great sketches, and cheap original art), Chicago Comicons, and friends with a ton of dealers in the Chi-town area. I miss it!

Started working at Dreamland Comics in Buffalo Grove IL when it opened in 1991 (formerly a Moondogs Comicland). Worked there starting at 15, ended when I left for college at 18. Not quite underage, but wow, what a job! Wish I could have bought all the Amazing Spiderman 1's that came in the store in low grade. Its amazing what a $100 could buy back then! Having a comic crazed kid working in a comic store is like letting an alcoholic run a liquor store. I amassed about 10,000 books, that got whittled down to the good stuff (full run of daredevil, and about a half run of Strange Tales 1-100, with a good deal of SGT Fury's). Got to be a part of alot of signings (got great sketches, and cheap original art), Chicago Comicons, and friends with a ton of dealers in the Chi-town area. I miss it!

Wow, my story is eerily similar. I worked at the Schaumburg Moondogs from '86-'88' before leaving for college as well. The store exists today as a Dreamland. Still the best job I ever had.

OK, apparently no one else ever worked under age!
I did! I worked at a comic store from 13-17. Well actually the comics were all sold as a collection (about 500 longboxes) when i was about 15, but the store continued on as a gaming store that also sold DVDs and collectible sneakers and clothes.

It was a blast even though in hindsight the owner was a little shady.

I worked at Comic's A to Z (changed their name from Comics Etc) from age 12 to 19.

1992-1999.

Suburbs of Philly.

First worked for store credit just making bags and boards all the way to opening/closing the store for regular under the table $6.00 an hour.

Man if I only knew what I know now. I would have had a stockpile of CGC submissions awaiting 2000.

I worked occasionally at a comic store called the Book Swap (later changed to Book Swap Inc, later changed to BSI) in Metairie, Louisiana. When Carl, the owner, would get huge quantities of comics, I would bag them for him. This was back from 1979-1981 I am guessing and I got $2 per hour in store credit. I was 13-15, so any work was good work, but he definitely got his money's worth out of me. A couple of years later, I sold a lot of those books back to him to pay for dates. Sold him an Iron Man #1 in VF+ condition for $10 so I could take out a young lady. Didn't even get a kiss. Wish I had that Iron Man back...

Anyone want my wife and a 23 year old slug of a step daughter who thinks the world owes her a living.

Wrong forum. :rulez:

You should start a sales thread.

I worked in a comic store from about 12-15 when it was no longer cool to work there. I worked for comics rather than cash. The one big eduction that I did get is how the big dealers (at least in my little town) do restoration. Go behind the curtain, out of sight and use a little pen and perfect, mint book.