• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vampirella

36 posts in this topic

WoW,...very hot,...my mom wouldn't let me buy those back in the early 70's,...but now that I got my own apartment in the basement (separte entrance too!!), she would never know,...I just might get them....

He's been winning a lot of the CGC graded magazines lately!

Seems like almost all the HG Vampi's have been scooped up by him and one or two others. Some of the prices have been..."out there", shall we say. Well, who am I to argue...VAMPI RULES!!! cloud9.gif

Gene

HOOOOLLLYYY CRAAAPPPPP!

my vampi's i am waiting on to come back from cgc were bought from this seller raw. they came from the same "warren personal copies" source as the ones he listed. My Vampi #7 was a possible 9.6 candidate, my #100 is a possible 9.6 as well. I also bought some creepy & eerie as well as vampi #101, 103. man oh man, the wait is killing me! 893whatthe.gif

A question for Vamiprella fans...I was born in '67, so I guess I missed the whole Vampi thing. The covers of many of these books look great, but was the art and stories inside any good? I'm just curious...what well-known artists worked on these besides the covers?

And are there any "classic" or "well-known" issues of Vampirella that stand out from the rest?

The covers of many of these books look great, but was the art and stories inside any good? I'm just curious...what well-known artists worked on these besides the covers?

Yes, the stories were good (much different and better than the Harris Comics' Vampi stories of the 1990s to the present). Back then, Vampi had a great supporting cast (Pendragon, the Van Helsings), had a great set of villains (Dracula, the Cult of Chaos, the Blood Red Queen, etc.) and the book struck just the right balance between horror and camp. The Modern incarnation of Vampi has largely featured Vampi on her own, with no regular supporting characters and with a heavy emphasis on pin-up T&A appeal over story and substance.

The art from the Warren series was amazing. Jose Gonzalez is an absolute master - hugely underrated compared to his peers who drew superheroes in tights. Gonzalo Mayo in his prime was outstanding as well - he never reached the heights he scaled when drawing Vampi back in the '70s ever again. Rudy Nebres in the later issues could have his day as well. The covers, of course, were superb - Frazetta, Ken Kelly, San Julian, Gonzalez, Mayo and the king of Vampi covers - Enrich. His covers were sometimes hit or miss, but his best covers (like #28) could rival those that Frazetta did for the run. Probably the most well-known covers of the series are #1 (Frazetta) and #19 (Gonzalez - this image was also used for the famous 6' Warren poster later reprinted by Harris).

And are there any "classic" or "well-known" issues of Vampirella that stand out from the rest?

Unfortunately, the vast majority of the Warren Vampi run had only 1 short Vampirella story (or part of a story) per issue, so there are not a lot of well-known individual issues, but rather storylines that spanned several issues. Some of the better storylines were reprinted by Harris in TPB format and can be had for cheap on eBay (look for "Transcending Time and Space", "A Scarlet Thirst", "Versus the Cult of Chaos" and I think there may have been one more..."Death and Destruction" maybe?) If I could recommend an individual issue, it would be #64, as it contains a full-length 7-part story that is wonderfully written in the pulp style with fabulous art by Gonzalo Mayo.

Gene

IMO, Vampi #8 is pretty solid as a stand alone story.

For a new reader, it's a great place to start.

Also, IMO it's the most key of keys besides #1.

IMO, Vampi #8 is pretty solid as a stand alone story.

For a new reader, it's a great place to start.

Also, IMO it's the most key of keys besides #1.

In terms of continuity, Vampi #8 is a great place to start, but the story (think it's by Goodwin) and the artwork (Sutton?) is far, far less compelling than the later offerings. If you want to introduce/hook a new reader to Vampi, you gotta give 'em Gonzalez or Mayo, IMO .

Gene

Couple of things...

1. Am I nuts or is that top left corner split and curled?? Looks like an extremely bad example of the aforementioned injury.

2. Judging by CGC's inability to show any consistency in grading with 9.2-6 I would be loathe to drop this kind of money on a fairly common mag like Vampi 8.

WoW,...very hot,...my mom wouldn't let me buy those back in the early 70's,...but now that I got my own apartment in the basement (separte entrance too!!), she would never know,...I just might get them....

yeah, but she knows what you're doing and you'll go blind ! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Well, while the CGC mag specs and deep-pocketed collectors were busy bidding up CGC'd Vampi copies to nosebleed levels, I guess they missed the auction for this little beauty - a virtually perfect condition copy of the 6-foot 1972 Warren Vampirella mail-away door poster by Jose Gonzalez (in actuality, an Enrich oil painting copied from Gonzalez's original). The $227.50 price may seem high, but finding one in this condition is like finding a freaking unicorn (when it arrived yesterday, I was sure it was one of those Harris reprints from the '90s because it looks brand new...however, it has the telltale Warren info at the very bottom and is on the heavy stock of the original). Compared to the prices we're seeing on some not-difficult-to-find CGC'd Vampi copies, I'd say this was a virtual steal. Thanks to DAM60 for winning this on my behalf while I was temporarily without 'Net access last week. thumbsup2.gif

Gene

360568-Jose%20Gonzalez%20Vampirella%20poster%20a.jpg

589a8b7d24ec7_360568-JoseGonzalezVampirellapostera.jpg.895aafcbff6fbe96778102ae020a1198.jpg