• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my first book submission

119 posts in this topic

But why bother spending the money?? If you enjoy the books, enjoy them RAW, where you can actually touch them, open them, smell them, READ them... If it's just a display issue, just buy a hard plastic case for a couple of bucks... I just don't get it (shrug)

The voice of sanity.

Says who? I would think he was nutty if he was expecting some sort of return, but he already stated that the numbers mean nothing to him, so why does it matter? They're his books to enjoy whichever way he sees fit. Sanity is relative, especially when it comes to collecting.

I'm also struggling to understand why submit mid-grade low value books when you could buy the same books in high grade for cheap then get those ones slabbed?

I understand you just want them slabbed because you like the books - I do that myself - but a slab containing a 9.6 copy of the book you love will look a lot better than a 7.0 copy of the book you love. Even to you (thumbs u

not realy! if it looks toooo new then the book to me,has no history. i like the books that look like they have been enjoyed :) i would prefer a hulk #1 in 5.5 than 9.0 .

if i turned picky and wanted all 9.0 most the books would be out of my want range.heck some arent even around in high grades. most purchases i make have to do with memories or art.

I still don't understand why people like Rhubarb Pie, to me it tastes disgusting. I just don't get it (shrug) Those people must be demented somehow.

I love Rhubarb Pie, I'll take that over the Strawberry Rhubarb any day. Strawberries in pies seem to mushy! I also make a nice Rhubarb Soup, almost like my grandmother's! I still use the same patch of Rhubarb that she used when she bought her house in 1925.

FYI, ant.

I have no problem with you submitting whatever books you want to submit. However, I can tell you that there are a few options for displaying books without getting them graded.

My LCS has BCW comic book display holders. I put my blank sketch covers from local artists in them and they display very nicely. 7.99 each. frameitagainsam.com has frames for raw and slabbed books. I haven't tried any, but they look nice and are around $15 for a single book holder, probably less. And I'm sure Hotflips has nice alternatives as well!

The up-side to all of these is they are likely cheaper than grading, you don't have to go without your books for any period of time, and you can take them out if you ever want to read them and simply put them back when you're done. Just throwing it out there.

Sorry if someone already brought this up.

nothing special, just was right under the #1 so i figured why not. plus there was a grade difference and it would be nice to see the difference. i dont even remember buying the superman wedding book but it was there in the box next to the death books.

these first 2 subs will be speratic with all kinds of grades. the rest will be a little more specific.

while we are here i have the big thick combo book "the death and return of superman" is this too think for grading. it is still sealed.

But why bother spending the money?? If you enjoy the books, enjoy them RAW, where you can actually touch them, open them, smell them, READ them... If it's just a display issue, just buy a hard plastic case for a couple of bucks... I just don't get it (shrug)

The voice of sanity.

Says who? I would think he was nutty if he was expecting some sort of return, but he already stated that the numbers mean nothing to him, so why does it matter? They're his books to enjoy whichever way he sees fit. Sanity is relative, especially when it comes to collecting.

Well, in ant's second post in this thread he states the following.

Best of luck to you but let me be the first to ask. Why would you sub these books in these grades?

some i collect like the smurfs , love me some smurfs. they have been my sanity for ages now.

hex i figured they are here and there is talks on a movie so ill wait to sell till the time is right.

superman i love when he dies so i figured why not. the others are just product to sell later.

and the moment of silence has a great cover and meaning so it deserves a home.

i am a art collector realy so its not about grades and such. i dont even mind worked on books as long as the meaning is still there. you will see many strange books like my lenores,and dirge collection. also my wrightson , and some non comic book artists are doing some art for me on covers so they will be in slabs also. i am a very random guy and i dont just collect one type of book. though i do like dc better than marvel. more of an old school art type thing :)

The bolded parts suggest that he's at least considering trying to sell them at some point. That would indicate that he's thought of trrying to get some kind of 'return' in the future.

@ ant - do what makes you happy. Some of us may not get it but it's your money. :thumbsup:

nothing special, just was right under the #1 so i figured why not.

Shoulda been right under #2... :baiting:

More power to you ant... (thumbs u

Guys, this entire thread is a spoof - he's taking the p***

Well maybe this is the learning curve he has to go through to figure out what books are worth slabbing if the intent is to flip? Or perhaps he thought they would have graded much higher and this is an eye opening experience like it was to me when I first subbed some books years ago from what I thought was my NM collection.

:eek:

Sure - but when I received those 8.5/9.0's back on my supposedly "NM+" books in my first CGC submission, I was actually expecting them to be 9.4/9.6's - I wasn't expecting them to be 7.0-9.0 like Ant does.

I just don't get it, I'm afraid - you can pick up NM copies of Smurfs #1-3 from Lone Star for $3/book (and probably cheaper here on the boards or on ebay), so why on earth wouldn't you submit NM copies instead of ones that you know are VF-/VF?

This thread brings back memories of early submissions.

I was submitting high grade BA Mass pedigrees and did pretty good on my first

couple submissions. I did miss a couple qualified's with a staple detached.

However, when I started submitting my 'high grade' silver I got spanked a few times.

I didn't realize a small water stain or foxing would kill the grade. And then the occasional PLOD, including an AF15 ! I wasn't as disappointed in some of the grades but with the FMV of the grade. Even if rare, a 7.0 with nice eye appeal

simply wasn't that valuable anymore.

Regarding Ant's submissions, I think he will be disappointed with the resulting FMV of the books in the grades he expects.

Moment of Silence nn 2/02 Marvel Comics Modern WHITE 9.6

X-Men 2 Prequel: Nightcrawler 1 5/03 Marvel Comics Modern WHITE 8.0

X-Men 2 Prequel: Wolverine 1 5/03 Marvel Comics Modern WHITE 8.0

Jonah Hex 1 3-4/77 D.C. Comics Modern CREAM TO OFF-WHITE 6.0

Jonah Hex 9 2/78 D.C. Comics Modern OFF-WHITE TO WHITE 8.5

Smurfs 1 12/82 Marvel Comics Modern OFF-WHITE TO WHITE 4.0

Smurfs 2 1/83 Marvel Comics Modern OFF-WHITE TO WHITE 4.5

Smurfs 3 2/83 Marvel Comics Modern CREAM TO OFF-WHITE 3.5

Superman: The Wedding Album 1 12/96 D.C. Comics Collector's Edition Modern WHITE 9.2

Superman 75 1/93 D.C. Comics Modern WHITE 8.0

Congrats on getting the grades!

You are keeping all of them for yourself, right?

:roflmao:

If not, I get first crack at this one:

Smurfs 3 2/83 Marvel Comics Modern CREAM TO OFF-WHITE 3.5

Seriously dude. Enjoy your books.