• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's More Important?

Slab case or Book  

309 members have voted

1. 1. Slab case or Book

54 posts in this topic

I'm going to start a new company; CGCSGC - Comic Guarantee Corporation Slab Guarantee Corporation. I really think slab grading is the next logical step in the evolution of this hobby.
which of course is followed by grading the slab that grades the slab that grades the comic -- ad infinitum. :insane:

Do you have the equipment to encapsulate the slabs, to assure your slab grades?

It'll be a hard plastic sleeve that will protect the slab from being bent and crushed. :makepoint:

But what will protect that hard plastic sleeve from being scratched....?

hm

( ;) )

I'm going to start a new company; CGCSGC - Comic Guarantee Corporation Slab Guarantee Corporation. I really think slab grading is the next logical step in the evolution of this hobby.
which of course is followed by grading the slab that grades the slab that grades the comic ad infinitum. :insane:

Encase the case that encases the case in Carbonite. Problem solved.

which of course is followed by grading the slab that grades the slab that grades the comic ad infinitum. :insane:

Ohhhhhh....I see!

Do you have the equipment to encapsulate the slabs, to assure your slab grades?

It'll be a hard plastic sleeve that will protect the slab from being bent and crushed. :makepoint:

But what will protect that hard plastic sleeve from being scratched....?

hm

( ;) )

Magic!!!!

:banana:

Exactly...to me it's ridiculous. Unless there's a major scratch or factor that violates the integrity of the slab then you're still getting what you pay for...a certified comic...

Being dissatisified because the slab isn't pristine is the height of anal retentiveness in my opinion...

Jim

Carbonite is diamond's beeyotch, so diamond encasement is the plan. Unfortunately, there will be no economy tier.

I scratch my initials with a utility knife in all slabs I take to shows in case they get stolen. Right across the front so it can't be missed.

I scratch my initials with a utility knife in all slabs I take to shows in case they get stolen. Right across the front so it can't be missed.

Heh. That reminds me. Where's Borock? I remember a few months ago he was talking about implementing some kind of security idea so that CGC'ed books would be traceable.

Exactly...to me it's ridiculous. Unless there's a major scratch or factor that violates the integrity of the slab then you're still getting what you pay for...a certified comic...

Being dissatisified because the slab isn't pristine is the height of anal retentiveness in my opinion...

Jim

You mean it's worse then this?

Anal retentive chef

:D

I get what you're saying but the fact of the matter is that's still a 9k book whether the case is scatched or not.

Exactly - it can be re-holdered for a mere fraction of what the book is worth, if that's the case. I am not going to let a scratched case stand between me and a good sale!

-slym

Well, no, it didn't stop me either. But I'm not terribly excited about taking the chance of shipping the book coast to coast and back again to get it reholdered. Bad things happen to good comic books.

I have seen those before, people ask me all the time if the case can be restored.

I have seen those before, people ask me all the time if the case can be restored.

lol

I think they need to invent edge bumpers to go around the slab, that way when clowns like my self drop them, they don't crack :cry:

I think they need to invent edge bumpers to go around the slab, that way when clowns like my self drop them, they don't crack :cry:

They make 'em for cell phone, why not slabs? hm