• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Journey into Mystery 83 CGC 9.0

48 posts in this topic

Is he a sophisticated scammer?????

Prefers money order/cheques, has a zero rating but quotes GPA etc etc etc

Interesting twist.

If it is real it is not the book to start off your ebay selling career with. Its'not April 1 is it? insane.gif

didn't realize that Bob Storms (Please spell it right) had that much of an effect on prices. $20,000 for a 9.0 JIM #83 with cream to offwhite pages? Sorry, I'm not buying that. My 9.0 was not a quick sale and even with the current JIM craze I think 20K is a very very optimistic price.

First, sorry about the spelling Bob.

Second, anytime a huge amount of quality material hits the market, it can have a short term affect. While a high grade run of FF's might not sound like a lot, I know of several big time collectors, selling what I consider quality material to pay for the FF's. It only takes one or two of the big time collectors to NOT bid on a quality item to affect the final price.

Third, I had a pretty good feeling that this was the copy you had, as I was definitely interested, but unfortunately had no "feel" for the market value at the time (I was just getting back into collecting after 3 years off).

It's a great book, but it always seems strange to me to pay so much for a very high grade copy only to settle for lesser page quality. Regardless of what a few board members think, Silver-Age (and newer) Cream to Off-White page books (especially in high-grade) seem to sell for 20-40% less than their Off-White (or better) counterparts.

In general, I feel (but not sure I would put my money where my mouth is), that a VF+ book with White pages should sell for as much as VF/NM with Cream to Off-White. It's quite conceivable that the VF+ has just a touch more wear, but has much better overall eye appeal (no yellowing) and obviously, nicer page quality.

In general, I feel (but not sure I would put my money where my mouth is), that a VF+ book with White pages should sell for as much as VF/NM with Cream to Off-White. It's quite conceivable that the VF+ has just a touch more wear, but has much better overall eye appeal (no yellowing) and obviously, nicer page quality.

It's next to impossible to tell where this cream-look is on S.A. and Bronze books. There's occasional ones that actually show some cream color, but I've got about half dozen that have no indication of cream anywhere but that's what the label says. If people are willing to sell me their 9.4 c-ow books at 9.2 prices, I'll gladly take them if they look like the ones I already have.

Brian

Two things..

1. Why are you selling?

2. Where is the rest of the "2nd best JIM collection up for sale on eBay" that you mentioned in the description?

I placed a bid on the JIM 83, had no idea it was worth that much.. actually thought I had a shot with my bid of 6k. Guess I will just have to stick with just one JIM book frown.gif

Brian

I will try to answer any and all questions in order, but 2 things first:

1. the 20k price was a JOKE, I was being sarcastic, and I said as such a couple posts later.

2. Can anyone help me getting this scan stealing scammer reported to ebay? Please let me know how I can report that.

Two things..

1. Why are you selling?

2. Where is the rest of the "2nd best JIM collection up for sale on eBay" that you mentioned in the description?

I placed a bid on the JIM 83, had no idea it was worth that much.. actually thought I had a shot with my bid of 6k. Guess I will just have to stick with just one JIM book frown.gif

Brian

I am selling because I changed my mind on collecting comics in South Florida. My goal in collecting was to pass them on to my kids 30-40 years down the road, but after that whole thread with an ice cream freezer 893blahblah.gif, I decided I would rather put my money in something else.

The rest of the "2nd best JIM collection" was sold last week, but I do have another 29 that I will get back from CGC in January. Incidentally, once Captain Tripps put up his beauties, it became the 3rd best in the registry. I realized it after bids were placed, and could only add to the description, not change it. You can see the prices I got for last weeks books. Hope that helps.

You're not collecting them anymore because you don't think you'll be able to keep them for 30-40 years? Can't you just buy mid-grade ones than if that's what you want to do. I guess I missed the ice cream conversation.. :\

Brian

I know I would never be happy with mid-grade books, just because of my obsessive nature. My JIM's and my X-men started with me saying"ok, 6.0 or better", then bought an 8.0 and I said "8.0's or better" then 9.0's etc, etc.

I could see me starting a mid grade collection when the great crash comes 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Is it just me, or is the seller also planning to do a bit of gouging with a 893whatthe.gif 40$ shipping fee? What is that..? For registered Us Postal mail?? foreheadslap.gif You could send it NextDay Air Fedex for that price !! Give me BRE AK ! For that kind of money, you can't pick up the shipping charges? Whoever buys this may not be getting ripped off on the fair market value of the book, but they sure will be taken to the cleaners for the shipping charges... !

Before you accuse someone of "gouging" which would imply dishonesty, you should know more about what you say. I just put in a shipping number based on another big sale of the same book in CGC 6.5 a month ago, which I paid about $40 for--I don't know why it was so much, it just was.

I just plugged in all the pertinent info for this book inthe USPS website, registered mail (priority) with return receipt and with a value of 15k, and the price came to $33.20. I would hardly call that gouging, and registered Mail seems to be the most secure method, I guess that is why CGC requires it. That price is also if it is a domestic sale, which it very well may not be. I also estimated dimensions of a Large priority Mail box. As far as "throwing in shipping for that price", I did not inherit the book, I paid lots of money for it, and my reserve is not that much more than what I paid. If it gets to 20k, which was thrown out there in jest, , I will be happy to include shipping. I am sure the book will go for market value, whatever that may be. grin.gif

P.S. who else besides me hates that paper tape?? sign-rantpost.gif

Is he a sophisticated scammer?????

Prefers money order/cheques, has a zero rating but quotes GPA etc etc etc

Interesting twist.

If it is real it is not the book to start off your ebay selling career with. Its'not April 1 is it? insane.gif

Those are my pictures and my words. How do I report him to ebay??