• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just came home from Watchmen

271 posts in this topic

Saw it yesterday - loved it. Have never read the novel or even the comics. I was able to follow it just fine. If you don't know what is supposed to be in the storyline - you can't be disappointed by what you don't see. I

t is always hard to condense intricate book details into a movie. I believe the same has always been the fact with Stephen King's movie adaptations - the books are always better.

Gore didn't bother me - high flying sex scene wasn't necessary - full frontal on Dr. Manhattan - well we women say - it's about time. Full frontal nudity of women is commonplace and the men love it. Welcome to our side of the fence.

Definitely too much male frontal nudity. Don't know why the need for it. Could have been left out in my opinion.

It's the new fad - I saw Watchmen and then checked out Forgetting Sarah Marshall on the Movie Channel, and I was thinking "WTF is this world coming to?".

When's the last time you saw a close-up of a shaved "you know what" in a studio movie?

Boogie Nights? Crying Game? Vegas Vacation? Oh wait, that last one was a statue.

Huh? I was obviously talking about a shaved close-up of the FEMALE anatomy, similar to what we saw in Watchmen.

Full frontal nudity of women is commonplace and the men love it.

Like I said before, name me some big budget studio movies that clearly display shaved "kitties" a la Doc Manhattan.

Definitely too much male frontal nudity. Don't know why the need for it. Could have been left out in my opinion.

It's the new fad - I saw Watchmen and then checked out Forgetting Sarah Marshall on the Movie Channel, and I was thinking "WTF is this world coming to?".

When's the last time you saw a close-up of a shaved "you know what" in a studio movie?

Boogie Nights? Crying Game? Vegas Vacation? Oh wait, that last one was a statue.

Huh? I was obviously talking about a shaved close-up of the FEMALE anatomy, similar to what we saw in Watchmen.

Sorry, got confused. With all the mention of "Lil' Manhatten" thought that was still the topic. Not the first time for those type 'appearances.'

Like I said before, name me some big budget studio movies that clearly display shaved "kitties" a la Doc Manhattan.

I think Dr. Manhattan's "presentation" is there for two reasons: (1) to correspond to his hairlessness, and (2) perhaps more importantly, to make his member less obvious... principally because of skiddishness in presenting full frontal male nudity. Movie-makers don't have that same skiddishness about full frontal female nudity and if anything, want to DRIVE attention to it when it's presented.

[Movie-makers don't have that same skiddishness about full frontal female nudity and if anything, want to DRIVE attention to it when it's presented.

Actually, they far more hesitant to show the actual female reproductive organs, and I can't remember the last time I got a full shot of the female kitty in a mainstream studio movie.

Some pubes here and there, but that is definitely not the same thing. Have you seen Forgetting Sarah Marshall? Blatant and repeated like that.

I think Dr. Manhattan's "presentation" is there for two reasons: (1) to correspond to his hairlessness, and (2) perhaps more importantly, to make his member less obvious... principally because of skiddishness in presenting full frontal male nudity. Movie-makers don't have that same skiddishness about full frontal female nudity and if anything, want to DRIVE attention to it when it's presented.

Movie makers don't have the same skiddishness with female nudity because it's been done for years. Some men have discussed that they are uncomfortable with Dr. Manhattan's frontal shots - when females are shown all the time and it really isn't surprising - to the point where anyone here would start a discussion about how shocked they were to see it. And it is only shaved because that is the personal hygiene a lot of females practice these days. It wasn't common practice 30 years ago lol!

I was on my sabbatical from collecting comics hwen this series came out. But a friend did loan me the trade paperback back in 1988 or 89. I remember him telling me how wonderful it was. After reading it, I thought it was good but it didn't move me as much as it has others. Perhaps one of the biggest problems I had was that I had no attachment or investment in the characters. And, reading the TPB, might have been some of the culprit as I was reading it in a weekend versus over a year of installments. ("Kingdom Come" resonated far more with me that Watchmen ever could have. But KC might not have existed without Watchmen.) But, it was still a fascinating story, yet one that I never thought would succeed on the big screen due to it's dark nature and lack of exposure to the general public.

I saw the film on Friday night and I liked it overall. Here's a list of what I would describe as "pros & cons":

CON'S

1. Enough with the "normal" superheroes (like Night Owl) throwing bad guys around like they have super strength. Of course, you can probably argue this with most superhero movies.

2. Too much gratuitous carnage shown. Maybe I'm getting too old, but I don't need to see the guy getting his arms cut off. I can get the idea and the impact without having to see that. It's something I hate about many new Hollywood films. They seem to have lost the ability to convey pain or horror without having to present it graphically. (It's my rant against most "horror" films. ) Same goes for showing Dr. Manhattan's ..... Try discreetly putting objects in to block some of it. Just becareful it doesn't become an Austin Power's scene. lol

3. What I mentioned before, there's not much emotional attachment. I think "superhero" movies generally need that. People go to them because they've been exposed to Superman, Spiderman, Batman, etc. all their life. For some reason, the lack of emotional attachment isn't an issue for most films but I think Superhero and other "theme" movies (Star Trek, Star Wars) need it. Maybe I'm off-base on this one.

PRO's

1. Rorschach and the non-comic back story was great. His tipping point in connecting with the audience for me was when he yelled to the other inmates that they were "locked in with him".

2. I thought it was decently paced and did the best it good going "forward & backward".

3. I had no problems with the CG effects. They worked well for me.

4. It's an alternative to the traditional superhero movie. Though this is more testament to Alan Moore's work.

Overall, I don't think it will gather as a big an audience as some think. For example, Spiderman or Dark Knight would be a movie my wife or parent's would watch, probably on DVD. Watchmen would not be one of those. But, I do think you can enjoy this film whether you read the book or not. My friend who went with me never read it and liked it better than me. I'm glad I went and saw it but it won't stay with me like some of my favorite movies.

and that's enough with this topic.

Still waiting for all these examples of full-groinal female nudity in major studio releases.

I watch a ton of movies and I don't think I've ever seen an "full and open package shot" of a female like in either Watchmen or Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

"Same goes for showing Dr. Manhattan's ..... Try discreetly putting objects in to block some of it. Just becareful it doesn't become an Austin Power's scene."

You exactly proved my point. Why are MEN so uncomfortable with this? Women have had no other choice than to accept it. Any ladies on this forum want to comment?

Personally I can't. If I've seen it in a movie, it didn't make an impression on me mainly because I'm a woman and get to see my own anatomy daily. :)

Still waiting for all these examples of full-groinal female nudity in major studio releases.

I watch a ton of movies and I don't think I've ever seen an "full and open package shot" of a female like in either Watchmen or Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

As compared to a ton of movies with just full frontal female nudity. Most of the "full and open package" shots are reserved for movies with a different rating. To tell you the truth, until someone mentioned it on this forum, that "shot" in the movie didn't even make an impression on me. Guess I'm just calloused to the female nudity issue.

Porky's

"There's enought wool in there to knit a sweater!"

You didn't see it in Watchmen either... what you saw was FAKE... a computer generated cartoon basically. A little reserch on the internet will get you to plenty of films that show real live women in even more graphically explicit presentation... Basic Instinct, Eyes Wide Shut, Showgirls, The Dreamers come to mind.

Knocked Up :eek:

Just got back from the matinee showing...

The movie has issues. Too drawn out in spots...and just because the text worked in a comic doesn't mean it works in a movie. Some of the dialogue came off as extremely silly.

What this movie needs badly is a good editing and trim job. Count me out as breathlessly waiting for the Director's Extended Cut. It's much too long as it is...

I will say that Haley's Rorshach was spot-on and the most enjoyable part of the movie...

Two out of Four Stars in my book...and count this as yet another superhero movie I won't be rewatching. Only X-Men 3 and Iron Man have made that cut in my opinion...

Jim

To tell you the truth, until someone mentioned it on this forum, that "shot" in the movie didn't even make an impression on me. Guess I'm just calloused to the female nudity issue.

I must have missed it too... (shrug)

Jim