• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

re-reading the WATCHMEN thread

37 posts in this topic

Has anybody actually re-read the Watchmen recently? seriously, we tend to read things when we are young thinking they are cool but when as read as a adult we have a different interpretation. I am going to re-read the Watchmen over the next few days and see if I still consider it a classic. anybody else care to do the same thing and post thier thoughts here over the next few weeks? I know when I re-read the Dark Knight Returns I was bitterly disappointed.

I did right after I heard the movie was going to move forward. I still enjoyed the story, but I think over the years so many amazing story arcs have come out, I was not as blown away. But I still enjoyed it.

Has anybody actually re-read the Watchmen recently? seriously, we tend to read things when we are young thinking they are cool but when as read as a adult we have a different interpretation. I am going to re-read the Watchmen over the next few days and see if I still consider it a classic. anybody else care to do the same thing and post there thoughts here over the next few weeks? I know when I re-read the Dark Knight Returns I was bitterly disappointed.

I love the DKR and have re-read it a few times with better appreciation on each read. I just read Watchmen for the first time and was quite bored through most of it. I would love to read someelse thought on it.

I'm on Book X. I remember being disappointed a few years back by the ending, thinking it was just mad villain cliche. I no longer remember the ending, just my response, so it should be interesting to see if I feel the same way.

I reread it about a year or two ago. I found it held up. I thought the ending was weak, but I thought it was weak on first reading Watchmen when it came out.

"I pity the fool" who reads WATCHMEN the first time now, in 2009, because all the things that were special about it have been copied, reused, assimilated again and again in the past 22 years in comics have robbed it of its revolutionary power.

Its like reading ECs today for the first time. We have seen, read and heard so many of the plotlines in TV and movies already that you yawn at even the most gruesome or twisty ended stories.

Does WATCHMENs failure to remain so powerfully extraordinary 20 years later diminish it? Maybe. Maybe great art should always shock and surprise us. I was still blown away by Moores mastery of storytellling devices, plotting and characterization. And I was still let down by the ending...

Face it, "kids" - - Moore did his job so well you are now too spoiled by well-crafted comics to appreciate it!

when it came out, it had ZERO hype. or lived up to the little pre-release comics trade distrib pre-sales publicity it had.

but if you first heard of it as one of the 100 greatest novels etc etc , sure! how could it NOT seem "overhyped?"

Sure I re-read it, just like I am re-reading a thread about this same topic...

that was created a few weeks ago.

Search button,...

it's a good thing.

:tonofbricks:

Not spending so much time here that such things cause you worry is also a good thing.

:tonofbricks:

It's all about having the proper board etiquette by showing a little props to

the person before you.

Or I don't know, maybe their question has been already answered in the other thread...

But what is really puzzling is - Why would anyone give a ratsass (like yourself)

that supposively doesn't "spend so much time here" to make a comment on my comment...

So basically feel free to STFU, or please remind me when you have something you want to post

about so I can make sure that I create several exact threads to make sure yours gets ignored too.

Have a nice day!

:P

I always like V better.

You know, I have to agree. That storyline reached out to me more, but I still love re-reading Watchmen and Dark Knight every few years.

Yeah I'm not saying Watchmen sucked I just think some other stories were better.

I thought V for Vendetta was a decent film. I grew up reading early silver and late atom age stuff, so when ever I revisit the silver it always seems limited. Of course my frame of reference was much narrower then. I hate to admit it but I've never read Watchmen. I didn't get back into comics until '97 and then just GA.

I always like V better.

You know, I have to agree. That storyline reached out to me more, but I still love re-reading Watchmen and Dark Knight every few years.

Yeah I'm not saying Watchmen sucked I just think some other stories were better.

any guy with a Doom 1 avatar is aces in my book, no matter what you read! I wanna hit 4 for my gattling gun everytime I see your posts!

I always like V better.

any guy with a Doom 1 avatar is aces in my book, no matter what you read! I wanna hit 4 for my gattling gun everytime I see your posts!

:banana: I used to play Doom till I got motion sick. :cloud9: