• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why cant ebay sellers with 1000's of feedback mail books to canada!!!

109 posts in this topic

The fourth time this week I can't bid on a book. This time from an Ebayer with a few thousand feedback. This is not just some guy selling a couple of books from his collection. Here are my weeks attempted purchases.

Book #1 ended just over $200 and I was willing to bid $250, so the seller lost out on up to $40-50. Went to snipe and did not notice he was not shipping to Canada. He stated it in his notes but did not set the auction up that way. I usually check auctions at school without logging in, guess I have to log in when I check.

Book #2 I had a boardie buy for $240 for me, the seller would not ship outside the US after contacted.

Book #3 is around $100. The seller states they will sell to Canada but USPS express. Went to buy the book out and can't, only US bidders, instant payment required. The book is a good price and I am actually worried it will sell before I get a response. I would actually pay about 50%-100% more for the book as it is a book I am actively seeking. One of my faverate covers, period. Maybe ze-man will buy another book for me :grin:

Book #4 sells for around $40 and I was willing to bid $100. Seller will not ship out of the US.

There was also a piece of original art last month that I was thinking about but thought it was going to go for a lot more so I did not inquire about shipping to Canada, I don't know art prices. Went for just over $500 and I would have bid north of $750 on it. I would have bought all those books or the art, but not both.

I am sure I am not the only Canadian or foreigner for that matter in this situation. I understand it is more work for the seller, but you would figure for books say $100 or more it would be worthwhile. Expecially when you consider non US markets are starving for good material.

Bruce

I reluctantly ship globally, but quite frankly, it is both scary and a pain in the @ss.

I respect why some do not want to expose themselves to the additional grief and risk associated with international shipping.

The fourth time this week I can't bid on a book. This time from an Ebayer with a few thousand feedback. This is not just some guy selling a couple of books from his collection. Here are my weeks attempted purchases.

Book #1 ended just over $200 and I was willing to bid $250, so the seller lost out on up to $40-50. Went to snipe and did not notice he was not shipping to Canada. He stated it in his notes but did not set the auction up that way. I usually check auctions at school without logging in, guess I have to log in when I check.

Book #2 I had a boardie buy for $240 for me, the seller would not ship outside the US after contacted.

Book #3 is around $100. The seller states they will sell to Canada but USPS express. Went to buy the book out and can't, only US bidders, instant payment required. The book is a good price and I am actually worried it will sell before I get a response. I would actually pay about 50%-100% more for the book as it is a book I am actively seeking. One of my faverate covers, period. Maybe ze-man will buy another book for me :grin:

Book #4 sells for around $40 and I was willing to bid $100. Seller will not ship out of the US.

There was also a piece of original art last month that I was thinking about but thought it was going to go for a lot more so I did not inquire about shipping to Canada, I don't know art prices. Went for just over $500 and I would have bid north of $750 on it. I would have bought all those books or the art, but not both.

I am sure I am not the only Canadian or foreigner for that matter in this situation. I understand it is more work for the seller, but you would figure for books say $100 or more it would be worthwhile. Expecially when you consider non US markets are starving for good material.

Bruce

Some sellers have had BIG hassles with shipping to Canada, usually because the buyer is sometimes levied with an additional tax or fee, and they get mad at the buyer, unnecessarily, mind you. I have never had a problem, having sold numerous things to Canada, but reading some of the horror stories some sellers have posted elsewhere, I can understand their trepidation.

I guess my only advice for the future is to try and e-mail the seller beforehand, and he might make an exception.

:sorry:

-slym

This is the real reason why...

"Hi Richard!

just wanted to confirm shipping date...and if 1st class was used.

haven't recieved yet.

also ... would like to know if you adjusted the cost of the book for customs...if not...might be held up there...just searching for reasons why it would not have arrived as yet.

thanks again,"

Well I just found another book I am willing to pay around $50 for. Currently at $20 If it was 9.6/9.8 slabbed would pay $100ish. Hopefully this guy will ship to Canada and I will be online when the auction ends.

Bruce

Well I just found another book I am willing to pay around $50 for. Currently at $20 If it was 9.6/9.8 slabbed would pay $100ish. Hopefully this guy will ship to Canada and I will be online when the auction ends.

Bruce

What's the book???... hm

This is the real reason why...

"Hi Richard!

just wanted to confirm shipping date...and if 1st class was used.

haven't recieved yet.

also ... would like to know if you adjusted the cost of the book for customs...if not...might be held up there...just searching for reasons why it would not have arrived as yet.

thanks again,"

That too.

Hopefully that reply was sent after 2 weeks. That is when I will ask a seller about a book. Just recently had to ask, seller admitted to delay in shipping. But I gave him perfect because he left me feedback right when I paid. I liked that, plus he was honest. Guess I have to change my address to Ze-mans :D.

Bruce

Bruce

What's the book???... hm

I will post the books I was looking at when they sell, either to me or another buyer. The one book will be within a day or two as if I cant buy it I will see if Kenny will buy it now for me, thats the one I would pay double the buy-out.

Bruce

Cause the postal service on your side of the border sucks... :makepoint:
You work well as my US shipping bltch. :acclaim:

'tis my lot in life... :insane:

You are the best comic packaging bltch ever. :acclaim:

Cause the postal service on your side of the border sucks... :makepoint:
You work well as my US shipping bltch. :acclaim:

'tis my lot in life... :insane:

You are the best comic packaging bltch ever. :acclaim:

Yup...I'm person_without_enough_empathyin' ... :grin:

Easy: Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs). The stars that sellers get rated, for things like shipping speed and shipping cost. Intl buyers are more likely to give you low ratings, as everyone knows postage to destinations outside the US is more expensive and takes longer. Often times, the buyer takes it out on the seller.

Add to that the fact that sellers have Seller Protection with PayPal, as long as they ship to a confirmed address. That policy may have changed recently, and PayPal may have started confirming Canadian addresses. But the fear of buyer chargebacks without recourse is very scary.

In addition, I like to print my postage online, and the postman picks up my packages at work. With intl first class (what most buyers prefer), I have to buy postage at the post office, and fill out the customs forms.

Just alot of hassle. You may be willing to bid $50 more, but I'll only see $1 of that, due to proxy bidding.