• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Foray Into GA Has Begun!

175 posts in this topic

Well, as many of you know, I've completed my AF 15, ASM 1-100 run and nearly finished w/ the run up to 328 (end of McFarlane era). Anyhow, I've finally decided to start poking around in the Golden Age era of comics with none other than Batman! Of course, I will be sticking to my low grade roots! :grin:

So, many thanks to Jon (PointFive) for getting me started...and hopefully more to come!

Hey Forrest, just noticed this thread. Great to see you so excited about GA!

Even on a budget, you can have a heckuva lot of fun in the shallow end of the pool. I just love the cool art and cool history of these early books. I'm usually happy with nice-looking reader copies myself.

I kinda hate to see the Tec go, but I thought it was the perfect "starter GA" (or maybe "gateway GA" hm ) book for you.

Hope you enjoy! (thumbs u

or maybe "gateway GA" hm
Pusher. Now another one's going to be hooked! Soon he's going to be selling everything to get that Golden Age fix.

Sure he thinks he can stop after just one or two. Next thing you know he's on the expressway to ruin!

or maybe "gateway GA" hm
Pusher. Now another one's going to be hooked! Soon he's going to be selling everything to get that Golden Age fix.

Sure he thinks he can stop after just one or two. Next thing you know he's on the expressway to ruin!

The downside is Forrest or Myself could sell everything and not land a "mega" key...

I wish people valued my collection as much as I do :(

Welcome to the GA club, and more specifically the "GA Batman collectors on a budget club". I too collect bargain GA Batmans. I'll never be able to compete with the people who collect $5000+ comics, but it's fun to be able to participate at all. I like to find CGC graded books that display better than their assigned grade. So I might accept a Qualified grade, with a cut coupon. Or a book with lower page quality, but a nice looking cover. Or a big defect on the back. It allows me to buy budget books (<$300) and have some decent books that don't look like beaters. I'll post some scans later.

You are now "in"

Good to have you join us.

Just stay away from GGA as it's not too expensive yet.

Tec and batmans are always great.... You can't go wrong if you enjoy them.

Welcome! That is a great Tec cover to start out with...one of my favorite post-Robin covers.

I agree, and congrats Forrest. (thumbs u

We can blame Jon when you go broke!

Ha ha ha! Thanks guys! As I told Jon, I'm a little nervous as the entry level books are simply at an entirely different level than entry level Silver Age (both price and availability), but I'm also pretty excited to be going after books that were printed when Batman was still a relatively new phenomenon!

Collin, no fears about my going after the GGA books--while I can certainly appreciate them, they're not within my collecting focus (for now.... :devil: ) But thanks for the official invite to the club!-)

And Rob, I couldn't agree more! What you have described is exactly how I've established my Silver Age Marvel "Charlie Brown Christmas Tree" Pedigree. lol It's a great way to go after books that I'd normally have no shot at acquiring otherwise. However, I do think this is MUCH more of an uphill battle to collect than ASM ever was (ASM 1 and AF 15 notwithstanding).

Pat--wanna understand how much of a newb I am to this field of collecting? I still think if I did sell my entire collection, I could afford one decent GA key (though not one of the big two, obviously). lol

Ha ha ha! Thanks guys! As I told Jon, I'm a little nervous as the entry level books are simply at an entirely different level than entry level Silver Age (both price and availability), but I'm also pretty excited to be going after books that were printed when Batman was still a relatively new phenomenon!

Collin, no fears about my going after the GGA books--while I can certainly appreciate them, they're not within my collecting focus (for now.... :devil: ) But thanks for the official invite to the club!-)

And Rob, I couldn't agree more! What you have described is exactly how I've established my Silver Age Marvel "Charlie Brown Christmas Tree" Pedigree. lol It's a great way to go after books that I'd normally have no shot at acquiring otherwise. However, I do think this is MUCH more of an uphill battle to collect than ASM ever was (ASM 1 and AF 15 notwithstanding).

Pat--wanna understand how much of a newb I am to this field of collecting? I still think if I did sell my entire collection, I could afford one decent GA key (though not one of the big two, obviously). lol

Maybe All-Star3..

AA16 is money, Flash 1 money, MMC1 big money! Hell Bats 1 is money ( and my next major grail!)

Here are some scans of a few of my budget GA comics that I was able to afford, which will hopefully encourage you. Notice that three of these were between $175-$178 (plus shipping).

Detective 47 2.0 - $178

Detective 56 2.5 - $176

And a few GA DC Christmas comics in Qualified 5.0:

Batman 27 (my favorite comic, used to own the Crowley 9.2) - $175

Sensation 38 - $51

tec47cgc20.jpg

tec56cgc25.jpg

batman27cgc50q.jpg

sensation38cgc50q.jpg

Well, as many of you know, I've completed my AF 15, ASM 1-100 run and nearly finished w/ the run up to 328 (end of McFarlane era). Anyhow, I've finally decided to start poking around in the Golden Age era of comics with none other than Batman! Of course, I will be sticking to my low grade roots! :grin:

So, many thanks to Jon (PointFive) for getting me started...and hopefully more to come!

TEC 52:

tec52.jpg

tec52back.jpg

Mac this is not an issue you see posted here very often but its one of those post "Batman only" Tec's that I really like. (thumbs u

I've kind of decided what some of my Golden Age "grails" might end up being. Since Bats 1 and Tec 27 are well out of my league, I think I'm going to try and pursue the 2nd and 3rd appearances (except for Batman...obviously). So, Tec 39, Bats 2, and I might even aim for a pre-Robin Tec. AND I've seen a few for prices that aren't too spooky, but I still feel like I need to learn more about the market before I start dropping really large amounts of coin.

And Rob, that 47 & 56 are really great looking for the grades! :golfclap:

I've kind of decided what some of my Golden Age "grails" might end up being. Since Bats 1 and Tec 27 are well out of my league, I think I'm going to try and pursue the 2nd and 3rd appearances (except for Batman...obviously). So, Tec 39, Bats 2, and I might even aim for a pre-Robin Tec. AND I've seen a few for prices that aren't too spooky, but I still feel like I need to learn more about the market before I start dropping really large amounts of coin.

And Rob, that 47 & 56 are really great looking for the grades! :golfclap:

Something you will learn forrest is that you can buy a low grade 2.0/3.0 GA book and while the flaws are generally the same the cover stock makes it easier on the eyes. I would not own a 1.5,2.0,2.5 Silver Age book they look like a dog mauled them. But the GA books hold up better. Most common flaw I have seen is a corner missing or tears..