• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Glass vs Plexiglas

6 posts in this topic

Guest Grails

Did a lot of googling (even went to a framing chat board) and there still seems to be mixed reviews on Plexiglas vs glass.

In a nutshell, my take on it is Plexiglas is stronger, lighter and lead free but harder to clean and not as clear as glass. Any personal experiences, preferences or insights?

Glass transfers heat

plexi does not

so anything under glass is going to have long term damage from heat transfer which will potentially brittle whatever is framed underneath it

What? Why would museums then use glass frames instead of plexi?

I personally use a combination of both - regular plexi for the cheaper items, Tru-Vue's Conservation Clear glass for slightly more expensive items, and if I'm going all out, Tru-Vue's Museum glass. The Museum glass is amazing - it's pretty much invisible to the naked eye, gives you almost perfect UV protection, and is, of course, rather hellishly expensive.

The Conservation Clear glass has the UV protection as well - but you can definitely tell it's there.

Guest Grails

That Tru-Vue Museum glass is incredible. I have two pieces in it.

I'll have to find the site again but the Smithsonian uses a combination of both depending on the article. If I remember correctly, Plexiglas was used the most with watercolor paintings. Something about the moisture rate.

That Tru-Vue Museum glass is incredible. I have two pieces in it.

Agreed. After I got my first piece framed in it, I'll never go back to regular glass. From most angles, you can barely even tell any glass is there! Glare is almost completely reduced/eliminated.