• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comicconect Oxymoron on Action #1? ..... "the whitest cream/ow pages"

38 posts in this topic

If you guys think CGC was harsh on the PQ, maybe you should all rethink your PQ standards. So many of you turn your noses at CR-OW paged books, when the actual difference between WHITE and CREAM may in fact be quite negligible.

Couldn't agree more Andrew (thumbs u

If you guys think CGC was harsh on the PQ, maybe you should all rethink your PQ standards. So many of you turn your noses at CR-OW paged books, when the actual difference between WHITE and CREAM may in fact be quite negligible.

Yes, it may be quite negligible in some cases, but it could also be quite material in others; you won't really know unless you've seen it raw.

If CGC calls a book CR-OW, then chances are that part of it will indeed have creamish (or at least borderline creamish) pages, you just don't know how much. From what I understand, it could be negligible like 10% or less, or it could be more material, like say 90%+. However, if you buy a book with White Pages, then chances are it's going to have White or at worst border-line White Pages throughout. As such, while not perfect, CGC's PQ designation does at least give you a general idea of the range of the PQ within...

--> Theoretically, I suppose that just like the degree of restoration noted by CGC on the label could be expanded upon (e.g. if pieces were added, roughly how much was added?, etc.), so too could the PQ be expanded upon (e.g. 10% Cream / 90% Off-White vs. just stating CR-OW). Doing so would of course further increase the cost to slab a book.

Yes, it may be quite negligible in some cases, but it could also be quite material in others; you won't really know unless you've seen it raw.

If CGC calls a book CR-OW, then chances are that part of it will indeed have creamish (or at least borderline creamish) pages, you just don't know how much. From what I understand, it could be negligible like 10% or less, or it could be more material, like say 90%+. However, if you buy a book with White Pages, then chances are it's going to have White or at worst border-line White Pages throughout. As such, while not perfect, CGC's PQ designation does at least give you a general idea of the range of the PQ within...

--> Theoretically, I suppose that just like the degree of restoration noted by CGC on the label could be expanded upon (e.g. if pieces were added, roughly how much was added?, etc.), so too could the PQ be expanded upon (e.g. 10% Cream / 90% Off-White vs. just stating CR-OW). Doing so would of course further increase the cost to slab a book.

I guess the fact that you can't see the pages before purchasing makes no sense to devalue/value the book based on the degree of page coloring. To me anyway (it's my opinion, so ignore if you like :) ).

The way I see the whole PQ issue is that all comic books have been printed on paper that contains acid. So "white" or "off-white pages" doesn't mean the book you now have in your hands will deteriorate any slower than one that has been designated "cream". What you could argue is potentially saving a book from further deterioration is the fact that it is encapsulated in a mylar sleeve and kept in a cool (dark and dry) place. Any book, whatever the page quality, will deteriorate fairly quickly to brittleness, through the process of acid hydrolysis, if stored incorrectly. Not to mention that to make certain of correct conditions you would need to run routine pH and humidity tests. At the end of the day, we are talking about Action 1. Personally PQ would be the last thing I would look at to determine value for a book of this scarcity. :foryou:

I don't know why some of you guys are ragging on Metro because they disagree with CGC's version of the PQ? I thought that they looked OW from what I could see. Do you guys always agree with the grades CGC gives your books? Somehow I doubt that very much. Ever see a book get resubbed only to see the PQ or grades change, it happens believe it or not.

I don't know why some of you guys are ragging on Metro because they disagree with CGC's version of the PQ? I thought that they looked OW from what I could see. Do you guys always agree with the grades CGC gives your books? Somehow I doubt that very much. Ever see a book get resubbed only to see the PQ or grades change, it happens believe it or not.

I find metro complaining about CGC's grading to be laughable.

I find metro complaining about CGC's grading to be laughable.

Reason I made my point is because I have bought a few books from Metro in the past where I agreed with their grading and was greatly dissappointed with CGC's version of it once I had the books slabbed.

Sure the pages look nicer than CR/OW in the photos, but the book it self looks less than 6.0 as well, so resubbing could be risky - it might come back 5.0 OW/W - and I don't know if that would make anyone happy.

Sure the pages look nicer than CR/OW in the photos, but the book it self looks less than 6.0 as well, so resubbing could be risky - it might come back 5.0 OW/W - and I don't know if that would make anyone happy.

I really doubt that CGC would change anything about the label if such a high profile book was resubbed.

I wonder if it would come back 6.0 CR-OW just because it's of such a high profile.

I really doubt that CGC would change anything about the label if such a high profile book was resubbed.

Probably not, but my point is the same - that the discussion about whether CGC was tough on the page quality overlooks the argument that they may have been a tad lenient with the overall grade.

Not to give the impression I'm dogging the book - it's an attractive mid-grade copy with decent pages no matter what, and I'm guessing that anyone seriously bidding on it is evaluating the book on those terms, not the specifics of the label.

Knowing CGC's policy to grade the worst part of the PQ, this looks correct. Check out the 2d interior picture near the top of the spine. That looks pretty dark to me.

To be honest with you I am looking more at the interior centerfold/spine of the book.

While the outer edges do show visible tanning, the spine looks nice and OW/W, and to me this is more important then outer edge wear when determining overall PQ, but that's just me.

Because the spine of a book is it's lifeblood, and when it's shot the book is toast.

Dead on Z. I concur; some outer edge chippiness on the pages is somewhat tolerable, but if the spine is fragile.......it's a goner. :cry:

Book sold for $317,200.
while I didn't win it, I did pick the correct ending price!!!!

and, I agree, I thought the pages were ow overall, but I know why cgc designates PQ the way the do, and that is how I bid on it (thumbs u

Book sold for $317,200.

Darn I was sniped at the end! I thought I could have gotten it for $300k!

:jokealert:

Posted from the GA forum.

We will be having another ComicConnect auction in about a month. In that auction will be another original owner unrestored CGC Action #1.

Wow. Who would have thunk it.

:/

Somebody explained this possible scenario weeks ago.