• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comicconect Oxymoron on Action #1? ..... "the whitest cream/ow pages"

38 posts in this topic

Not that I've got the $$ to buy this but ..........

Check out this ACTION #1

Here is their description:

"The whitest cream/ow pages we have ever seen. Will undoubtedly make its way back to CGC for a page upgrade."

The term "whitest cream" to me sounds like a classic oxymoron.

Am I missing something here?

How can they "see" that these are the "whitest" C-OW pages?

Unless they saw the inside of the book before it got slabbed.

In which case it was recently slabbed.

So why would CGC be inclined to bump up the page qualty if it got sent back for re-grading, if it was just recently graded?

I assume this "whitest C-OW pages" is just sales hype?

It's the same as saying "the nicest 1.5" or the "nicest 9.0". The page color is just as subjective as the rest of the grade, they're just saying the grading was overly harsh, and the pages look better than the label gives them credit for. (thumbs u

Knowing CGC's policy to grade the worst part of the PQ, this looks correct. Check out the 2d interior picture near the top of the spine. That looks pretty dark to me.

I laughed out loud when I read that! It would take a supreme insufficiently_thoughtful_person to pay CGC to re-grade a $500,000 comic in the hopes of getting a freakin page upgrade.

:makepoint:

I swear, they think we are all . Ridiculous.

My 2 cents:

I don't think that the buyer would need to re-grade it to get a PQ review; I thought I heard that you could send a book in for a PQ review without having to regrade it. I could be wrong, but I don't think CGC charges as much for a PQ review as they do for an actual grading (I think a PQ review probably has a somewhat negligible charge compared to the grading charge). Even if a full grading fee was required to get a PQ review, isn't the max charge to grade a book capped at a few thousand? If it's capped at say $2,000, then the cost to get the PQ review would only be 4/10 of 1% of the $500,000 that you guesstimated the value to be, which is really quite negligible (in terms of $ or %) when you're talking about a $500K book, especially since a PQ increase from CTOWP to OW would increase the resale value by many, many multiple of this additional cost.... (i.e. IF the value is $500K for an Action #1 with CTOWP, an identical looking Action #1 except with OWP would probably be worth $520K+, IMHO)

Knowing CGC's policy to grade the worst part of the PQ, this looks correct. Check out the 2d interior picture near the top of the spine. That looks pretty dark to me.

I seem to recall reading that that was what CGC's explanation was to the folks at CC when questionned on the PQ that it was assigned...

To be honest with you I am looking more at the interior centerfold/spine of the book.

While the outer edges do show visible tanning, the spine looks nice and OW/W, and to me this is more important then outer edge wear when determining overall PQ, but that's just me.

Because the spine of a book is it's lifeblood, and when it's shot the book is toast.

Those are definitely COW pages - Look at the story South Seas Strategy. A clear cream halo around the top of the book and the rest of the pages are off white. The PQ is not just the most prevalent page quality but the overall page quality.

You guys really think they messed up the PQ on one of the most important books ever, and if they resubmit it it's going to get a bump? If it does then there is seriously something amiss either way.

PQ assignment, much like grading isn't an exact science. Take 10 graded books of various grades and PQs and resubmit them to CGC, and I'd think that chances are pretty good that you'll get a few different grades come back, and possibly even one or two different PQ assignment (or more than one or two if you resub an old blue label book, from what I've read).

The difference between Cream and Offwhite isn't black and white. There will be books out there that are border line cream / offwhite that could get called cream one day and off white the next.

Also, CGC might label this book CTOWP today due to a little area that is cream colored whereas years down the road, assuming CGC refines their grading and PQ standards over time (not sure if they do or not, since nothing is published) they could decide to label it OWP since a very small area is deemed to have cream PQ...

If you guys think CGC was harsh on the PQ, maybe you should all rethink your PQ standards. So many of you turn your noses at CR-OW paged books, when the actual difference between WHITE and CREAM may in fact be quite negligible.

Oh I forgot, you're all label whores. Never mind.

Those are definitely COW pages - Look at the story South Seas Strategy. A clear cream halo around the top of the book and the rest of the pages are off white. The PQ is not just the most prevalent page quality but the overall page quality.

I could be wrong, but the way I understood it, CTOWP means that CGC found the book to have PQ as low as Cream in one or more areas, and as high as OWP in others, in which case, I agree that a CTOWP assessment is probably pretty accurate, IMHO (even if it is mostly OWP).

Of course based on the way I understand it, you'd think some small number of books could have PQ as low as Cream in one area (say the outside edges) and White in others (say towards the spine), but I've never seen a book labeled with Cream to White pages. Maybe CGC starts with the worst PQ and caps the high end at one level higher, so CTWP becomes CTOWP...

Certainly is the nicest CR-OW paged book I've seen. I'm surprised that this book wasn't at least offwhite pages. I guess even a skinny line of cream color on a single page can designate the book being cream. It's kinda like brittle pages that I've seen. Even if a few tiny brittle spots are present on the spine or corner let's say, the label would still read slightly brittle. As much as I disagree with these notations (because once it's slabbed, the owner wouldn't know for sure how much of the pages are brittle or cream or whatever), CGC is basing it from the lowest point to the highest point per say.

Certainly is the nicest CR-OW paged book I've seen. I'm surprised that this book wasn't at least offwhite pages. I guess even a skinny line of cream color on a single page can designate the book being cream. It's kinda like brittle pages that I've seen. Even if a few tiny brittle spots are present on the spine or corner let's say, the label would still read slightly brittle. As much as I disagree with these notations (because once it's slabbed, the owner wouldn't know for sure how much of the pages are brittle or cream or whatever), CGC is basing it from the lowest point to the highest point per say.

Indeed.

Saw this book before it was slabbed. The pages are not cream to ow. Looked ow to white to me. The pictures make the pages look a little darker.

Saw this book before it was slabbed. The pages are not cream to ow. Looked ow to white to me. The pictures make the pages look a little darker.

Per your post in the Gold Forum, "...The middle of the pages are white. The bottom of the pages are ow/white. The top has slight tanning."

Like it or not, to Dark Knight's point, it appears as though under CGC's presumed current PQ standards, due to the tanning (or creaminess?) at the top, it doesn't surprise me that CGC would grade this as having CTOWP.

So under CGC current PQ standards, and assuming slight tanning or creaminess at the top as you and others have suggested, is a PQ upgrade likely if sent in for a PQ review? My guess is not.

Is a PG upgrade possible in the future? This could happen, if CGC's PQ standards shift over time, where they grade more on the PQ of the book as a whole...

To Dark Knight's point (regarding how CGC currently appears to assign PQ), did any part of any of the pages look cream or worse to you?

I do not remember any of the pages looking cream. I thought the interior was pretty killer.

To Dark Knight's point (regarding how CGC currently appears to assign PQ), did any part of any of the pages look cream or worse to you?

I do not remember any of the pages looking cream. I thought the interior was pretty killer.

Sorry about that, please see my edited post...