• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turn Off the Oven, Watchmen is DONE!

124 posts in this topic

JC you neglected to mention the foreign BO was woeful

I know, it's absolutely horrible - tanking worse worldwide than domestic (and with very high distribution/promotion costs, the movie will likely LOSE money overseas), but I laid off that angle so that the Snyder fanboys didn't slit their wrists too early in the morning.

I don't see huge lines over here in Japan to see it.. tickets ranging from 1600 to 2700 yen (depending on the area of sitting in the theater), I think it's a tough pill to swallow if there is any kind of slight possibility that it may suck.. and the rumors are spreading like wildfires, I have even heard talk from people to just "wait for the DVD" .. I still have not seen it... :/

I think that being rated R is a huge factor in this movie.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

300, same director, same R rating, similar openings:

Domestic: $210,614,939

+ Foreign: $245,453,242

= Worldwide: $456,068,181

Yes but you listed movies like The Hulk and Witch Mountain which are not. On top of this 300 came out in what 2006-2007 while the economy wasn't struggling as much. This movie has come out while hard times and many people are loosing jobs and don't have that extra cash flow.

1. limited viewers because of R rating

2. limited cash flow because of economy

These can be huge factors when it comes to a movie.

JC you neglected to mention the foreign BO was woeful

I know, it's absolutely horrible - tanking worse worldwide than domestic (and with very high distribution/promotion costs, the movie will likely LOSE money overseas), but I laid off that angle so that the Snyder fanboys didn't slit their wrists too early in the morning.

I don't see huge lines over here in Japan to see it.. tickets ranging from 1600 to 2700 yen (depending on the area of sitting in the theater), I think it's a tough pill to swallow if there is any kind of slight possibility that it may suck.. and the rumors are spreading like wildfires, I have even heard talk from people to just "wait for the DVD" .. I still have not seen it... :/

I think this will be my plan.

Hope this doesn't effect Wolverine origins, I already know I want to see part 2 and 3, it has to be good, it just has to!

I don't think it will. I'm fairly certain mainstream America is used to both good, and not so good comic movies. Since we had Iron Man and The Dark Knight last year, and they did so well, most people will most likely look over Watchmen. (That made a lot of sense in my head, not so much typed out.)

However, I hope this doesn't start a trend. Last year comic book movies were really great, even Hulk was pretty good. This year comic book movies may suck, unless Wolverine is really super amazing.

I have high (as in pie-in-the-sky Fanboy high) hopes for G.I. Joe, but just as a popcorn flick with some nostalgia attached, not because I think Ray Park is going to win the Oscar for his amazing dialogue. meh

:roflmao: He said 'amazing dialogue' :roflmao:

Yes, pun fully intended. :hi:

Not meaning to take anything away from the thread but, damn.. I almost peed in my pants when I read that about Ray Park.. :D But, seriously now..I got it, I'll spell it out D U N, Done son!!!

Yes but you listed movies like The Hulk and Witch Mountain which are not. On top of this 300 came out in what 2006-2007 while the economy wasn't struggling as much. This movie has come out while hard times and many people are loosing jobs and don't have that extra cash flow.

Unless the movie sucks eggs, ......then they're extremely irrelevant.

On top of this 300 came out in what 2006-2007 while the economy wasn't struggling as much. This movie has come out while hard times and many people are loosing jobs and don't have that extra cash flow.

Actually, if you took the time to research your post a bit, you'd find it's the exact OPPOSITE, and movie revenues have increased with the recession, as more families are choosing "staycations" and low-cost entertainment like movies, rather than expensive jaunts around the world.

Don't believe me? Look it up, studio box office numbers are up considerably since the economic downturn.

On top of this 300 came out in what 2006-2007 while the economy wasn't struggling as much. This movie has come out while hard times and many people are loosing jobs and don't have that extra cash flow.

Actually, if you took the time to research your post a bit, you'd find it's the exact OPPOSITE, and movie revenues have increased with the recession, as more families are choosing "staycations" and low-cost entertainment like movies, rather than expensive jaunts around the world.

Don't believe me? Look it up, studio box office numbers are up considerably since the economic downturn.

Leave facts out of this. Thank you.

Box office is booming as economy goes downhill

But history shows that in tough times, movies can do well

The markets may be in a death spiral, but the movie business hasn't seen such rosy returns at the box-office since Vivien Leigh famously looked forward to tomorrow at the tail end of Gone with the Wind.

North American box-office totals for the first two months of 2009 are in, and the numbers are both boffo -- and baffling. February 2009 generated more than US $770 million at the ticket wicket, which in adjusted dollars makes it the most lucrative February on record -- ever.

http://www.canada.com/office+booming+economy+goes+downhill/1360359/story.html

Wow dude, you got some crazy lil facts there, I would never have thought about looking stuff up like that unless it was something that was extremely interesting or I was incredibly-archi-dooper-super curious about..but hey, someone has to be that interested...

I would still give the movie a 4 out of 5. Also, peoples expectations of the movie where great because of the book. Some dialogue and things where changed from the book thus causing dislike. Personally I read to about chapter 6 of the book and got bored. Movie was just an easier way for me to get thru all the content and I semi enjoyed myself.

Sometimes movies are not meant to be and sometimes they are. For example one that I have an opinion about was the comic series Wanted. I found the books to be a great read but thought the movie wasn't as great. Sin City which I read some where great reads and I thought the movie was ok.

Still though I think there was more factors then just not enjoyable that played a factor in this movies abilty of making money.

Good point. And you are right I did not research. Still though no reason for you to mock me!

Btw when you quote something you should really link it too.

I would still give the movie a 4 out of 5. Also, peoples expectations of the movie where great because of the book. Movie was just an easier way for me to get thru all the content and I semi enjoyed myself.

I take it your head literally explodes when you substantially more than semi-enjoy yourself?.... :baiting:

Hope this doesn't effect Wolverine origins, I already know I want to see part 2 and 3, it has to be good, it just has to!

I don't think it will. I'm fairly certain mainstream America is used to both good, and not so good comic movies. Since we had Iron Man and The Dark Knight last year, and they did so well, most people will most likely look over Watchmen. (That made a lot of sense in my head, not so much typed out.)

However, I hope this doesn't start a trend. Last year comic book movies were really great, even Hulk was pretty good. This year comic book movies may suck, unless Wolverine is really super amazing.

It's a shame because I thought Watchmen was very good. I don't think the Wolverine movie will have any problem drawing crowds.

I would still give the movie a 4 out of 5. Also, peoples expectations of the movie where great because of the book. Movie was just an easier way for me to get thru all the content and I semi enjoyed myself.

I take it your head literally explodes when you substantially more than semi-enjoy yourself?.... :baiting:

lol

I copied the URL, but forget to add it. I just went back and put the link in.

Is he writing a Graduate level thesis? Where he NEEDS to quote his sources.. Or is it just your curiousity? No real reason to make up facts here in the forums, I would think. Links are nice but, too many numbers and detailed facts make yourself get lost in the topic many times..

No worries, as it's been widely reported that box office numbers are breaking records, with February being the best EVER, so I just assumed that everyone had heard about it.

The link is back in, and a quick Google search will yield hundreds of articles on the same subject.

I for one am glad that the hype has died down

because I didn't think it was that good of a movie...

That story was great (because of the comic), but other than that

I wasn't very entertained. I could drag puppets across a stage

that had better acting skills than 80% of the cast...

The actors for the comedian and Rorschach semi-saved it from a

total bomb IMHO.

2.5 to 3 out of 5 when it could of easily been a 5 star classic.

:P

I copied the URL, but forget to add it. I just went back and put the link in.

Is he writing a Graduate level thesis? Where he NEEDS to quote his sources.. Or is it just your curiousity? No real reason to make up facts here in the forums, I would think. Links are nice but, too many numbers and detailed facts make yourself get lost in the topic many times..

No its just that if you point out something its good to have links of your source. If you want to educate someone on something it helps to show them where to look to get the info and where they are getting their info. That is why I said should link your source info.

Its like me saying pigs can fly now

"TODAY SCEINTISTS MADE PIGS FLY!

Today scientists cloned a flying pig using methods of combining a eagle and a pig together. Witnesses saw the pig flying around and where totally amazed. Scientist spoke person Santa Claus said that they are working on a Giraffe that can swim under water next....... "