• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tampa...next weekend....whose going?

47 posts in this topic

Just went to the site - Largo? WTF? I doubt I am down for a drive all the way to Pinellas.

Tim has been steadily battling rising rates from the Doubletree Hotel for years. He has resisted raising prices on admission and dealer tables for fear of losing the average collector/dealer. Give him credit, he gets some decent guests and there is always a great cross-section of dealers at a show with $5 attendance.

Just went to the site - Largo? WTF? I doubt I am down for a drive all the way to Pinellas.

Tim has been steadily battling rising rates from the Doubletree Hotel for years. He has resisted raising prices on admission and dealer tables for fear of losing the average collector/dealer. Give him credit, he gets some decent guests and there is always a great cross-section of dealers at a show with $5 attendance.

Of course, he has to do what he has to do to keep the show going. For me, it's an additional 30-40 minutes of driving (making the one way trip over an hour) and that probably makes the difference in whether I make time for it on my weekend, not the admission price. I am sure it is shorter for many now and that's what he is banking on, just not for me. Good luck to him, it's a nice show for the area to have. (thumbs u

Of course, he has to do what he has to do to keep the show going. For me, it's an additional 30-40 minutes of driving (making the one way trip over an hour) and that probably makes the difference in whether I make time for it on my weekend, not the admission price. I am sure it is shorter for many now and that's what he is banking on, just not for me. Good luck to him, it's a nice show for the area to have. (thumbs u

I was at the first at the Dale Mabry HWY Stadium Holiday Inn. &, if it comes to it, I'll very likely be at the last.

I was at the first at the Dale Mabry HWY Stadium Holiday Inn. &, if it comes to it, I'll very likely be at the last.

I believe I went to that one as a kid, but not sure. What year was that? I remember one on Fowler in the 80s as well. Maybe one on Busch at one point as well?

Most of the dealers are coming from either Orlando, North Florida, or Miami-Dade, it isn't convenient for them either. I come from Hernando, and it will probably add 10-15 minutes to my journey as well. The venue change sucks, but you still get one of the best comic show values in the South for $5, and kids under 12 are still free. Herb Trimpe as featured guest, a very decent selection of comics dealers, contests and prizes for the kids, all for $5? Are you kidding me? This isn't just a Tampa show, this is Florida's best regional show...period, and it needs our support, especially during these difficult ecomomic times. No one wanted this, and from what I've heard from dealers, no one is excited about the new site. However, the show needs everyone's support. Otherwise, in a year's time we may be reminiscing on the boards about the defunct Tampa Comic show, and we'll have no one to blame but ourselves. Tim had to change venues or be forced to raise admission prices & dealer table rates, whereby he loses the "average collector". He'll probably lose traffic either way, but I think he chose the lesser of two evils to try and keep the show as fan friendly as possible.And I'll put my money where my mouth is, if you are a Forumite who was planning on not attending the show, I'll reimburse your cost of admission. That offer is good for up to five people (it does not include your spouse, girlfriend, etc...you need to be an active Boardie). Just give me your forum name at the show, and I'll make good on my pledge. I'll post details here about the logistics of it when I have it figured out.Here is a link to Googlemaps with directions from the Doubletree. They say its 22 minutes, but Sunday mornings on I-275 are free and clear, and you should be able to do it under 20. Gas is still cheap, so do it while there is still a Tampa Comic show to go to.'Nuff said. :sumo:

View Larger Map

I believe I went to that one as a kid, but not sure. What year was that? I remember one on Fowler in the 80s as well. Maybe one on Busch at one point as well?

Tim Gordon's first show was back in either '98 or '99 it seems to me; possibly 2000 but I think it was slightly earlier.

In the early 1980's, a number of conventions were held at the Day's Inn at Busch & Nebraska and at the Holiday Inn on Fowler. Those were sweet shows: Don of Greenshift Music smoking cigarettes behind his booth & the Fandom Zone family in attendance.

I believe I went to that one as a kid, but not sure. What year was that? I remember one on Fowler in the 80s as well. Maybe one on Busch at one point as well? [/quote ]

Tim Gordon's first show was back in either '98 or '99 it seems to me; possibly 2000 but I think it was slightly earlier.

In the early 1980's, a number of conventions were held at the Day's Inn at Busch & Nebraska and at the Holiday Inn on Fowler. Those were sweet shows: Don of Greenshift Music smoking cigarettes behind his booth & the Fandom Zone family in attendance.

Ha! Yes, the ones in the 80s were the ones I was referring to. Those were some sweet shows. I remember paying $25 for a "scarce" G.I. Joe #2 at one of the Fowler shows. Two "old" NMs Iron Fist 14s at the Busch show for $1 each. Good times.

Do you happen to remember The Fandom Zone husband's later shop, The Comic Cafe (also on Busch)?

Tim Gorden works hard to keep the Tampa show going, If I was still living there, I would be at every one of them. If you like Comics, it is a great show that he runs no matter what location he has it in.

I believe I went to that one as a kid, but not sure. What year was that? I remember one on Fowler in the 80s as well. Maybe one on Busch at one point as well? [/quote ]

Ha! Yes, the ones in the 80s were the ones I was referring to. Those were some sweet shows. I remember paying $25 for a "scarce" G.I. Joe #2 at one of the Fowler shows. Two "old" NMs Iron Fist 14s at the Busch show for $1 each. Good times.

Do you happen to remember The Fandom Zone husband's later shop, The Comic Cafe (also on Busch)?

I was a South Tampa kid and rarely made it up to Tom's stores on 30th & then Busch. In fact, to the best of my knowledge, I never walked into the Fandom Zone once he renamed it the Comic Cafe.

I used to go to the tiny hole in the wall Fandom Zone run by his very, very nice parents on Kennedy Blvd. It had nothing at all but new books. I was just about the only customer: a 13 yr old kid with a pocket full of lawn money.

Those were the halcyon days of comics for me. Now it is just NOD this & pressing that. What a change.

I am going just to pick up some OA that Austin Janowsky has made for me of Iron Man - he came by a yard sale I was having and worked a trade for some books - my biggest problem is no $ - it is going to be tough walking around broke!

I think I need to try and sell something on here in the next couple days just to have some cash to play with at the show

Plus last time Trimpe was there, I had him sign a few beaters and will probably do the same this time around