• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is comic grading subjective?

136 posts in this topic

It's subjective up to a point. But there are limits to the subjectivity. For instance, two people may see the same book as either an 8.0 or a 9.0, but no one, unless under the influence of heavy LSD, will see this book as a 3.0

It's not easy grading comics when you're trippin'. :insane:

FISHEYE.jpg

Grading is subjective...but only to a very small degree.

Given that CGC can grade exactly the same book differently on any number of occasions, I think that's proof enough of that.

However, people who fight you for hours regarding its subjectivity are usually the ones who can't grade for sh!te and like to have a loophole to cover their dishonest arses. (thumbs u

I've found that the term 'near' ......when used in conjunction with the term 'mint'.....has become increasingly subjective.

It's like having an ugly child. All comics should be NM. :luhv:

The problem with that is I have seen some F- children.

Some people hammer flaws harder then others. Some people think most books are overgraded/undergraded because they ahve not put much stock into the science. There are simple tactics to approach with grading, and it all comes from experience and looking at other books.

A good example was in the PGM recently. I had graded a book, and afterwards TFL another member came and graded the same book. There was a .5 difference in opinion so I asked what he was looking at to assign the grade? He started at a different point then I did which I believe was the difference. We both saw the same flaws and adjusted accordingly.

So I agree with Nick also that you will have a general "grade" amongst people who can grade that will sway an average of half a grade. But not much more then that, unless one deducts for printing defects and the other doesnt.

Grading is a fun science, not an exact one. But worth learning for sure.

As long its being done by more then one person then it is somewhat subjective. Even with a set guidelines people still have to use their own judgement and discreation on deciding the severity on the defects.

It's subjective up to a point. But there are limits to the subjectivity. For instance, two people may see the same book as either an 8.0 or a 9.0, but no one, unless under the influence of heavy LSD, will see this book as a 3.0

Agree with all the thread members that were along this line. A tiny deviation is okay.

But when you receive a book from some of the eBay sellers out there that post "guaranteed Near Mint to Mint" and you get a 7.5 to 8.5, that is way too big a deviation.

Agree with all the thread members that were along this line. A tiny deviation is okay.

But when you receive a book from some of the eBay sellers out there that post "guaranteed Near Mint to Mint" and you get a 7.5 to 8.5, that is way too big a deviation.

9.4 to 9.0 is too big a deviation IMO.

So I agree with Nick also that you will have a general "grade" amongst people who can grade that will sway an average of half a grade. But not much more then that, unless one deducts for printing defects and the other doesnt.

Pat, I think where the grading challenges may come in as well is with folks that judge a comic just by the front and back covers (if someone even takes a comic out to examine the back versus a quick cover scan before selling).

CGC has taught some a lesson that when examining a comic, they inspect the entire experience of a book. That's how they catch things like printing errors. But from the cover, a book may look like a NM++++.

I saw this with a friend's copy of the 1st appearance of X-23. When he bought the book off eBay, the condition was so strong he was overjoyed that the seller had pegged this wonderfully - a solid 9.6/9.8 copy.

When he submitted it to CGC and received it back, it was a 9.8 alright. A qualified 9.8 because the printer had left out a page.

So I guess we all would have to take the time to examine the entire book to be dead-on in agreement.

I returned a Flash 110 last year because the Ebay seller claimed F/VF and I gave it a VG+ because it had a sub crease not visible in the scan. Actually you could not tell unless you looked at the back cover. He reluctantly refunded my money and said. "Most people don't even look at the back cover, the next high bidder didn't have a problem with the book". (I had to wait until the other buyer recieved the book before he refunded me.)

I argued that..and especially when paying $200 plus for a supposed near VF copy.

Always have to check for surface indentations!

It's standard procedure. How can anyone grade a book without doing this? ????

You do it all the time.

You do it all the time.

I just ignore those defects assuming the buyer is going to press them out anyway. ^^

You do it all the time.

I just ignore those defects assuming the buyer is going to press them out anyway. ^^

Everyone else does it and charges the higher grade's prices. :gossip:

You do it all the time.

Everyone else does it and charges the higher grade's prices. :gossip:

I knew I was doing it wrong.... :tonofbricks:

Most of the books I collect are in 9.2-9.6 range. I've found that the biggest problem with sellers is that they FAIL to check the books at an angle under the light....

ASM239FC.jpg

Interesting!

Grading is subjective...but only to a very small degree.

Given that CGC can grade exactly the same book differently on any number of occasions, I think that's proof enough of that.

However, people who fight you for hours regarding its subjectivity are usually the ones who can't grade for sh!te and like to have a loophole to cover their dishonest arses. (thumbs u

I've found that the term 'near' ......when used in conjunction with the term 'mint'.....has become increasingly subjective.

It's like having an ugly child. All comics should be NM. :luhv:

The problem with that is I have seen some F- children.

(tsk) I was a F- child. That was pressed to NM. :grin: