• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

O'Barr's "The Crow" love
7 7

2,755 posts in this topic

"The Crow" follows Eric who sits reading "forgotten lore"as a method to forget the loss of his love, Shelly. A "rapping at [his] chamber door"reveals nothing, but excites his soul to "burning". A similar rapping, slightly louder, is heard at his window. When he goes to investigate, a crow steps into his chamber. Paying no attention to the man, the crow perches on a Bowen Wolverine bust.

Amused by the crow's comically serious disposition, Eric demands that the bird tell him its name. The crow's only answer is "Bosco!". Eric is surprised that the crow can talk, though it says nothing further. Eric remarks to himself that his "friend" the crow will soon fly out of his life, just as "other friends have flown before" along with his previous hopes. As if answering, the crow responds again with "Bosco". Eric reasons that the bird learned the word "Bosco!" from some "Schmo" and that it is the only word it knows.

Even so, Eric pulls his chair directly in front of the crow, determined to learn more about it. He thinks for a moment, not saying anything, but his mind wanders back to his lost Shelly. He thinks the air grows denser and feels the presence of angels. Confused by the association of the angels with the bird, the narrator becomes angry, calling the crow a "PLOD" and a "Presser". As he yells at the crow it only responds, "Bosco!". Finally, he asks the crow whether he will be reunited with Shelly in Heaven. When the crow responds with its typical "Bosco!", he shrieks and commands the crow to return to "Idaho", though it never moves. Presumably at the time of the poem's recitation by the narrator, the crow "still is sitting" on the bust of Wolverine. The narrator's final admission is that his soul is trapped beneath the crow's shadow and shall be lifted by "Bosco!".

Glenn, what pub are you drinking at with wireless service? I'm on my way, buddy!

drinking61.gif

:cloud9:

Yet you glossed right over the character traits of the 5'3" dude with the skin tight spandex, mutton chops, and blades that came out of his hands huh? hm

:kidaround:

Classic revenge story. Loving couple murdered by gang members, the Crow comes, raises the protagonist from the grave, imbues him with invulnerability and reflexes to allow him to "balance the scales" and make those responsible pay for the crimes. Once this is completed the murdered protagonist's soul will then be able to rest and rejoin the woman he loves.

thx!

as for the other attributes, hey I will overlook a lot (talking ducks with shirts but no pants = winning ) but I don't know, my first impression based on nothing more than the covers was "moody soap opera downer" so I never did buy them. But, I've heard enough people speak well of it - your summary included - that I know there must be some substance. This thread alone makes me willing to give them a try.

Agreed...if this book came out today I would probably run from it from looking at the covers. I never knew how much I hated Emo until they gave Emo a name. Back then I paid no attention and Emo was in its infancy and much more rare than it is today. The Crow isn't an Emo story by any stretch but his look and his angst threw gas on the Emo fire.

Agreed...if this book came out today I would probably run from it from looking at the covers. I never knew how much I hated Emo until they gave Emo a name. Back then I paid no attention and Emo was in its infancy and much more rare than it is today. The Crow isn't an Emo story by any stretch but his look and his angst threw gas on the Emo fire.

Please choose your new avatar after all that non-Emo Emo talk.

emo-smiley_design.png

emo-smile.gif

2c-t-shirts_design.png' alt='2.gif.9fc66b13abe5d736a39bc1a668f42ae9.gif' alt='2c'>-t-shirts_design.png'>

:baiting:

so can someone tell a newb what this series is about and what they like about it. I was always really into indies in the 80s and 90s but I have to admit I stayed away from getting the crow issues because the facepaint on the character just seemed weird and I wasn't sure it would appeal to me.

Just watch the Brandon Lee movie.

:gossip:It's way better than the original miniseries.

The Crow: Wicked Prayer was way better than the original movie. Looking foward to the remake too. :popcorn:

Yet you glossed right over the character traits of the 5'3" dude with the skin tight spandex, mutton chops, and blades that came out of his hands huh? hm

:kidaround:

Classic revenge story. Loving couple murdered by gang members, the Crow comes, raises the protagonist from the grave, imbues him with invulnerability and reflexes to allow him to "balance the scales" and make those responsible pay for the crimes. Once this is completed the murdered protagonist's soul will then be able to rest and rejoin the woman he loves.

thx!

as for the other attributes, hey I will overlook a lot (talking ducks with shirts but no pants = winning ) but I don't know, my first impression based on nothing more than the covers was "moody soap opera downer" so I never did buy them. But, I've heard enough people speak well of it - your summary included - that I know there must be some substance. This thread alone makes me willing to give them a try.

If this book came out today, it would have went in the wrong direction, most definitely. Not only would have Eric had Adam Lambert hair, but most of the cast(including Shelly, maybe even the crow bird too), pictures of Eric & Shelly would have been on every hoodie for sale at Hot Topic, there would have been a forbidden romantic triangle with an always shirtless Fun Boy, the climax would have happened at an abandoned ballet hall, everyone would cry all the time(substituting for rain)...

Met James at the albuquerque comic expo and was just blown away at how down to earth he is. Super nice guy! Highlight of the show for me.... Picked this up below guide because of some loose microchamber.....

caliberpresents1web.jpg

Thanks guys! I have wanted this book for a long time and I finally found a deal that good make it happen. The guy selling this book said this on ebay......

Selling Caliber Presents 1 this is the first ever app of The Crow which has been featured in movies and the like. It is CGC graded 9.2 making it nm and a really nice book the comic does have a page that is somehow not aligned correctly. Other wise it would be a high grade of comic. Thanks for taking a look.

I knew there was a perfectly fine 9.2..... there is no "otherwise"! Its just the microchamber dude..... He scared away buyers I think, and maybe I could have found a nice raw for cheaper but im happy with it.

Speaking of O'Barr Crow love... While at the convention I bought a lithograph print thats a version of the print used to promote a show he had in 97' at the Goat Gallery....

obarr_print.jpg

sig_print.jpg

Apparently the original this is based off of only had a print run of 500. That means that poster might be one of the rarest O'Barr prints out there.... this is what it looked like......

Goat.jpg

And I also got my custom made signature plaque signed by him!

obarrplaque.jpg

Notice I used the Eric image of the original art posted here earlier. Along with an interior art panel from the comic and other flourishes. If some of you are going to meet O'Barr at a convention and would like a version with the place and time on it... PM me and I will shoot you a high rez version for print.

One more thing while I am at it... if any of you havent heard this interview with James you should.....

http://comiczoneradio.com/interviews/?q=james_o'barr

Edited by Define999

thought i'd share a couple books i originally picked up raw at a local show. i gave my off-the-rack set away, about twenty years ago.... she was a cute lil' goth chick. :cry:

The day was going to come that another Crow 3 CGC 9.8 would pop up. Just amazed how long it took.

Nice job! :applause:

thought i'd share a couple books i originally picked up raw at a local show. i gave my off-the-rack set away, about twenty years ago.... she was a cute lil' goth chick. :cry:

The day was going to come that another Crow 3 CGC 9.8 would pop up. Just amazed how long it took.

Nice job! :applause:

sorry, i was bummed when my single highest marvel spotlight # 7 9.8 found its twin. i'm glad i managed to snag it before it got bent up in dealer stock. and, i didnt press these.