• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

O'Barr's "The Crow" love
7 7

2,755 posts in this topic

No way! :o James O'Barr signed the front cover? :o I thought he wouldn't do that for his own reasons. :o

I had never heard this, that's an interesting development. hm

Yeah he doesn't like the guy who did the cover,or something to that effect.Bosco knows the full story,but he never signs the front cover.Well I guess not ever! (worship)

Hi Dave,

:hi:

No way! :o James O'Barr signed the front cover? :o I thought he wouldn't do that for his own reasons. :o

Yeah he doesn't like the guy who did the cover,or something to that effect.Bosco knows the full story,but he never signs the front cover.Well I guess not ever! (worship)

I found out about this when I submitted a book to be signed by Tim Vigil and James O'Barr. Of course Vigil always signs the front as it contains his artwork (he was the bigger name at the time), and O'Barr signs the back of the book because it contains his artwork.

Supposedly, there is bad blood between them due to their Caliber Comics days. Gary Reed (founder of Caliber Comics) had some comments online about how difficult O'Barr became once The Crow started taking off, to the point they had a not-so-nice parting of ways. Vigil was/is good friends with Reed, and took the stance O'Barr helped impact the growth of Caliber Comics with his departure.

Back in 2010, myself and one other board member submitted our Caliber Presents #1s to get signed and CGC graded. The other guy was at the Chicago show when O'Barr noticed Vigil had signed the book in advance, and supposedly went off. The story I was told is he made a scene about how wonderful it was to see "The great Tim Vigil" signing before him. We thought both our books had been trashed based on what he told me.

I'm not sure how accurate this supposed blowup was, because mine came back a 9.8 White Pages.

Man, we had such a great time on here back in the 2009-2010 period. Going back through this thread, I found where we all were trying to figure out the print run of all the books. Comix4fun emailed Gary Reed directly to get answers.

:eek: So... Does anyone know or have a guess what the print run of Caliber Presents #1 is?

Gary said, going from memory, that it was 10,000 copies or slightly less.

Somehow during all the discussions, experiencing paranormal events came up. I forgot the Stanley Hotel photos I posted back then.

Is the Stanley Hotel haunted? It is definitely a strange ride.

Unnamed.jpg

I just picked up a Crow 1 for what I think is a decent price at an LCS. Correct me if I'm wrong but one can tell a 1st print by the 2/89 date in the indicia inside the front cover? Do later printing state that they are 2nd and 3rd?

I just picked up a Crow 1 for what I think is a decent price at an LCS. Correct me if I'm wrong but one can tell a 1st print by the 2/89 date in the indicia inside the front cover? Do later printing state that they are 2nd and 3rd?

Yes. It will clearly state the later printing.

Yes. It will clearly state the later printing.

Very good. Thank you, sir.

How often to #1 9.8s pop up for sale?

I haven't been able to find one.

Not often. I didn't realize until I :bump: my WTB thread a bunch of times and Dave told me to look at the Census! I feel like when I did look at the time there were only 8! There are 10 now. But 1 isn't going anywhere so that means there are 9.

I'm sure you can account for most, if not all, of the other 9 in this thread. ;)

So... they don't come up often. :sorry: