• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qualified Question

27 posts in this topic

I've tried this question on a few other threads and have yet to receive an answer. Maybe here... :wishluck:

I have a blue labeled 9.2 book with an interior signature. The grade was definitely affected by the sig because it's structure is beautiful (looks like a 9.6, possibly a 9.8). If I were so inclined, would it be possible to have this book qualified to receive the superior grade?

I've tried this question on a few other threads and have yet to receive an answer. Maybe here... :wishluck:

I have a blue labeled 9.2 book with an interior signature. The grade was definitely affected by the sig because it's structure is beautiful (looks like a 9.6, possibly a 9.8). If I were so inclined, would it be possible to have this book qualified to receive the superior grade?

Call for graders notes first, chris - there might be some other flaw that knocks it down to a 9.2. Otherwise, yes, you can ask for a qualified label.

This book has an interior signature - but is still a 9.8, so I'd be a bit cautious about thinking that the interior signature would knock the grade so much:

0156665002O.jpg

Call for graders notes first, chris - there might be some other flaw that knocks it down to a 9.2. Otherwise, yes, you can ask for a qualified label.

This book has an interior signature - but is still a 9.8, so I'd be a bit cautious about thinking that the interior signature would knock the grade so much:

0156665002O.jpg

What he said.................

0156665002O.jpg

My Cerebus #1 was definitely knocked at least a 1/2 point because of the interior sig. Matt Nelson graded it 8.0, CGC said 7.0. Maybe it depends on whether the grader is a fan of the series. Yeah.. that's it. Aardvark-hating rodent lovers! :frustrated:

hm..Actually, I wonder if it has anything to do with your Mouse Guard being a sketchbook. Sketchbooks get signed 99% of the time, right? Can anyone else produce a 9.8/9.6 slab with an interior sig?

0156665002O.jpg

My Cerebus #1 was definitely knocked at least a 1/2 point because of the interior sig. Matt Nelson graded it 8.0, CGC said 7.0. Maybe it depends on whether the grader is a fan of the series. Yeah.. that's it. Aardvark-hating rodent lovers! :frustrated:

hm..Actually, I wonder if it has anything to do with your Mouse Guard being a sketchbook. Sketchbooks get signed 99% of the time, right? Can anyone else produce a 9.8/9.6 slab with an interior sig?

There's a Mouse Guard #1 CGC 9.6 Qualified in the CGC census - 2 copies of Sandman #1 CGC 9.8 Q, 5 copies of Sandman #1 CGC 9.6 Q, etc, etc.

0156665002O.jpg

There's a Mouse Guard #1 CGC 9.6 Qualified in the CGC census - 2 copies of Sandman #1 CGC 9.8 Q, 5 copies of Sandman #1 CGC 9.6 Q, etc, etc.

I meant universal blue labels. Like your sketchbook.

0156665002O.jpg

Whoa, that's interesting. I'll definitely call. Thanks Michael.

Got a question.. Is it better/more valuable if a book received a blue label in lower grade than a green label in higher grade? Or is it about the same price?

I think it would depend on the book giving preference to a "higher graded green label" on modern/copper books and a "lower graded blue label" to bronze and older books. Buyers on eBay seem to be more wary of the green label though.

Got a question.. Is it better/more valuable if a book received a blue label in lower grade than a green label in higher grade? Or is it about the same price?

I would say in the case of these sig books I would go for higher graded Qualified because it really isn't a flaw on the comic persay(in terms of damage to the comic), but more from an un verified sig.

Unlike a qualified 9.6 with a 3/4 inch tear somewhere. :frustrated:

Thanks guys for your feedback. In case I come across books that look NM, but has say a 2" split, then I would have to make a decision based on what I think is better.

A 2" split is not going to give you a qualified label - all that's going to give you is a book that isn't NM.

Thanks guys for your feedback. In case I come across books that look NM, but has say a 2" split, then I would have to make a decision based on what I think is better.

A 2" split is not going to give you a qualified label - all that's going to give you is a book that isn't NM.

Apparently anything is possible

Apparently anything is possible

Apparently so - I stand corrected. I would, however, assume that this is not CGC policy anymore.

big_town_006.jpg

A Qualified NM- with "small tears on back cover".

There are two tears, a half inch and a quarter inch, totaling less the 2 inches and it still garnered a Qualified label.

IMO they should just have blue labeled it an 8.5 instead.

The original submitter may have specifically requested a Qualified label.

big_town_006.jpg

A Qualified NM- with "small tears on back cover".

There are two tears, a half inch and a quarter inch, totaling less the 2 inches and it still garnered a Qualified label.

IMO they should just have blue labeled it an 8.5 instead.

The original submitter may have specifically requested a Qualified label.

While I agree this might have happened, it is a slippery slope.

"Hey..my book is HG except for this flaw, please dont downgrade for it"

Never did make sense to me, except from a sellers perspective.