• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anyone out there do any amatuer restoration to their beat-up comics?

16 posts in this topic

looks like the pic has been removed so i missed it. darn......

OK, I will bite. Why not share your books since you were the one who brought it up? I am honestly curious to see your work, as I imagine many others are.

Besides they are tired of seeing me post my twiddling efforts.

first let me say that i am no professional restorer--that is, i don't have any of the correct chemicals to use, knowledge, or a lab to actually restore books. you all know what i mean. my better samples have no "before" scans, so it's moot to show them. so anyhow, here is an ok example of a book i fixed up recently with a little left to go. as you can see, there was a large rip on the left part of the book, which now looks more like a wrinkle. i make sure i don't "overwork" a book--that is, i only restore these until i have the desired result (leaving some wear). i'll post larger scans next time as the before pic shown here is what i grabbed on ebay after the auction. lets see some other samples from some other collectors. i learn a little bit more every time i work on a book. basically, these are beat-up books worth 10 or 15 dollars. after i work on them, they are still a 10 or 15 dollar book (to me) but they look much nicer and are much more stable to hold and read. would love to learn more about this, including where to purchase info and supplies on the subject, since it seems to be "taboo" with many--and pro restorers don't share knowledge (i don't really blame them), at least as far as i know. it's just a fun hobby and a way to give some books a little more life.

3369383426_cfbe0c3a3c_o.jpg

Nice , looks like you can pick up the book again without worry, and to me thats the most important reason to work on a book. (thumbs u

And there are several places online to buy materials and books.

Talas Online and University Products are two good ones.

Post more books when you get time.

thanx nocutename. ze-man i saw your post with your work and it looks great! i'll certanily check out the sites you mentioned and most likely have a few other questions for you if you don't mind (i'll not become a pest). i find paper restoration extremely interesting and would love to dive in and learn it all. i've been using only basic household items (very watered-down white glue (gasp!!) and acrylic), but need to purchase the standard "paper safe" products. i'll post better scans of other books soon. there is A LOT i'd love to learn. anyone out there who is willing to share knowledge or hints and tips feel free to let me know. thanx guys!