• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink results....holy cr@p!

375 posts in this topic

GA market is soft, but not soft enough on some of the books I really want. rantrant

Yeah, me too. I was watching three books in particular last night and pricing was solid: Tec 7, $7200; Tec 44 CV $12,800; Tec 92 9.4 Rockford $3500.

I'll say it again, I think the overall GA selection in this auction was pretty weak... at least for my taste buds. It was probably my shortest "watch list" that I can remember.

And also, a lot of these books are re-treads that are not new to the market at all. Half these books we are discussing were or have been available in the last year or two, some over and over again. I think that reduces the luster on a lot of these beauties.

Actually, even the ultra-HG stuff is starting to hurt. Whoever bought all the ultra-HG ducks on Heritage in Nov 2006 took a bath of epic proportions when selling them on CL just now. Granted, they overpaid back then, and I continue to think that anyone who sells Ducks on CL is making a big mistake, but even factoring those things in, prices were pretty weak.

And no, unfortunately I wasn't the winner of any of them because I had the times all mixed up.

Does that mean you might have gone stronger on some of the books? You're right about the HG Four Colors. The seller is looking at 50% losses on every book or about $10k total. That may be nothing compared the bloodletting that may occur tonight on the WDCS.

Tim,

A simple formula. The high bidder for Ducks the last few years now becomes the seller and the two underbidders from the last few years have a friendly chat and decide to split our purchases rather than beat each other up for them. I can say with a degree of certainty that you will not

1. See these books for sale again anytime soon

2. See prices that low again for Duck books

The only books I missed tonight were when I could not get back to the bidding screen in time to enter my bids

So your timing out is the reason I won my thrill bid #147? Same deal for the WDCS tonight?

it's interesting to me as well because as a Low grade collector, I have seen many many GD to VG examples over the last 4 months where Ducks have been selling stronger than ever. Both earlier WDCS & One shots. 2-5 times what the same books would have ended at a year ago. It always seems to me if the low grades are moving there is more "Ground floor" interest in the genre, which is a good sign.

I've often thought this end of the market was slow in general. Interesting observation about recent trends Shiv. I wonder if these are normally mid-grade collectors forced to move down for $$ reasons.

Not much time left and a classic cover More Fun #58 in 9.0 is sitting well below guide price. :popcorn:

Can you believe that it sold for $4,900! :screwy:

I paid $4,700 2.5 years ago for the CGC 8.5 Nova Scotia copy, and that - I thought - was cheap since it was from a Mastro auction.

same as it sold on ebay for last month.... I think adam sold that book last year in SD for like $6000?

So, should I keep the Nova Scotia CGC 8.5 or the 9.0? :popcorn:

Mark, I've owned the 9.0 copy and I thought it was a gorgeous, solid book. Stick with the higher grade over that pedigree, IMO.

Low grade ducks have been slow for a long time, and anything that is plentiful (Like early scrooge, FCs after #238 or WDCS past #60 or so still) are selling for peanuts. For awhile I thought It was me who was pushing up some of the sales, since 1 bidder can make a big difference, but even after I stopped bidding on the books, there have still been stunning results.

Not much time left and a classic cover More Fun #58 in 9.0 is sitting well below guide price. :popcorn:

I paid $4,700 2.5 years ago for the CGC 8.5 Nova Scotia copy, and that - I thought - was cheap since it was from a Mastro auction.

same as it sold on ebay for last month.... I think adam sold that book last year in SD for like $6000?

Mark, I've owned the 9.0 copy and I thought it was a gorgeous, solid book. Stick with the higher grade over that pedigree, IMO.

Sell me the 8.5. As amrket price for the 9.0 is now $4,900 the 8.5 should be below $4k :baiting:

Low grade ducks have been slow for a long time, and anything that is plentiful (Like early scrooge, FCs after #238 or WDCS past #60 or so still) are selling for peanuts. For awhile I thought It was me who was pushing up some of the sales, since 1 bidder can make a big difference, but even after I stopped bidding on the books, there have still been stunning results.

I felt the same way about some books that I've pulled out of the running for....there must be new people stepping up to the plate.

Sell me the 8.5. As amrket price for the 9.0 is now $4,900 the 8.5 should be below $4k :baiting:

lol I was going to make the same offer

Tim,

A simple formula. The high bidder for Ducks the last few years now becomes the seller and the two underbidders from the last few years have a friendly chat and decide to split our purchases rather than beat each other up for them. I can say with a degree of certainty that you will not

The only books I missed tonight were when I could not get back to the bidding screen in time to enter my bids

Hey Bob, if you and the other candidate I`m thinking of were the winners of the FC Ducks, then I`m really happy! :applause: Some of the prices yesterday were absolute steals.

As for #2, well, it depends on whether more copies come onto the market, no? If they do, and now you and/or the other guy is out of the picture, who knows what price it`ll settle at. After all, who knows what else lurks in the vaults of the Gepper?

I know it's been talked about briefly already, but what do Duck people think about the price for the FC#9 7.5? It seems a little low but considering it's nowhere near highest graded, I'm not sure that it is so surprising in this environment. Any other thoughts?

I think its about right. With a 9.0 not meeting reserve at CC what more could you expect. This is a book that is not scarce by any method considering its age or importance.

I agree. Mid-grade copies and even VF-ish copies of FC 9 have never been hard to find.

Actually, even the ultra-HG stuff is starting to hurt. Whoever bought all the ultra-HG ducks on Heritage in Nov 2006 took a bath of epic proportions when selling them on CL just now. Granted, they overpaid back then, and I continue to think that anyone who sells Ducks on CL is making a big mistake, but even factoring those things in, prices were pretty weak.

And no, unfortunately I wasn't the winner of any of them because I had the times all mixed up.

Does that mean you might have gone stronger on some of the books?

I was thinking of going 66% of what I sold them for. I figured a 33% fee for "renting" out my books for a couple of years would be a good deal! :grin: Whether that would`ve been enough to win, who know.

The seller is looking at 50% losses on every book or about $10k total. That may be nothing compared the bloodletting that may occur tonight on the WDCS.

Definitely on the #140. The price that he paid for it was crazy, and since then a bunch more copies, including a 9.6, have hit the market.

So your timing out is the reason I won my thrill bid #147?

Nice pick-up! I should note that was one of the FCs that was NOT my copy, though.

The seller is looking at 50% losses on every book or about $10k total. That may be nothing compared the bloodletting that may occur tonight on the WDCS.

Definitely on the #140. The price that he paid for it was crazy, and since then a bunch more copies, including a 9.6, have hit the market.

So your timing out is the reason I won my thrill bid #147?

Nice pick-up! I should note that was one of the FCs that was NOT my copy, though.

:boo: I forgot about the 9.4 #147 which I assume is what you meant. I was just so shocked that I got the 9.0. That 9.4 went for almost 11k in 06 and sold for just 4k last night. Ouch.

So no tth2 "Common Bear Mountain" pedigree for me, huh?

Also,

4.) The wrong venue being used to sell certian books.

For instance, I'm not going to make a profit selling snow shoes in the Bahamas! I think as others have mentioned, certain books need to be sold via Heritage auctions, others via CL or CC, and the remaining ones should be given time to find the right buyer via long listings on Ebay or these boards.

I have never sold a book via Heritage. With all the premiums they tack on, it would be next to impossible to even break even on most books in my view...

Also,

4.) The wrong venue being used to sell certian books.

For instance, I'm not going to make a profit selling snow shoes in the Bahamas! I think as others have mentioned, certain books need to be sold via Heritage auctions, others via CL or CC, and the remaining ones should be given time to find the right buyer via long listings on Ebay or these boards.

I have never sold a book via Heritage. With all the premiums they tack on, it would be next to impossible to even break even on most books in my view...

Depending on the bulk of books you consign, I've heard they'd be willing to lower their rates. I'm not sure how much though! hm

Since its only a 0.5 grade difference you'd have to think a pedigree copy is more desirable? Keep the Nova Scotia copy and list the 9.0 on Heritage's buy-it-now site as the Comiclink sale won't show on GPA. :whistle:

Tim,

Hey Bob, if you and the other candidate I`m thinking of were the winners of the FC Ducks, then I`m really happy! :applause: Some of the prices yesterday were absolute steals.

As for #2, well, it depends on whether more copies come onto the market, no? If they do, and now you and/or the other guy is out of the picture, who knows what price it`ll settle at. After all, who knows what else lurks in the vaults of the Gepper?

If we split them, that means we still each need one, correct? and I am not afraid to pick up another copy of a book as long as it is at what I consider to be a reasonable price

Since its only a 0.5 grade difference you'd have to think a pedigree copy is more desirable? Keep the Nova Scotia copy and list the 9.0 on Heritage's buy-it-now site as the Comiclink sale won't show on GPA. :whistle:

true, but the nearly identical, one month old ebay sale will and has (thumbs u

Anyone bid on the MC #1 2.0?

At a hair under guide I thought that was reasonably priced for a complete copy.

true, but the nearly identical, one month old ebay sale will and has (thumbs u

Question... Why can't that MF58 9.0 find a permanent home??? Granted, I had it for a while and parted with it so I'm in no place to talk :blush: ...But that copy is a beautiful copy and I believe back when I called CGC to get the additional notes on it, they told me that at least one pre-grader gave it a 9.2 (and I can agree that assessment).