• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Sales tax on ComicLink order

51 posts in this topic

(thumbs u

I just reduced every one of my bids by 8.25% (NY sales tax) lol

Maybe I'll get lucky. :)

Plus, you'd be saving more than you think since you should only have reduced your bids by 7.621% :baiting:

Does everyone on here pay sales tax or is it just because I'm in nY?

It's just for NY state. Try to get a PO box out of state.

If in NYC area, get a PO box in NJ and ship all your orders there and save the tax

I recommend UPS Store at 924 Bergen Avenue in Jersey City (right beside the PATH station at Journal Square).

That is where I have my box. Tell them I sent ya.

note - I offered to pick up my order at the Comiclink office in Brooklyn once and they told me I would have to pay sales tax if I picked it up. So I mailed it to Jersey.

Everybody does realize you are supposed to pay sales tax on purchases in NY - it's the law. Comiclink is a business and they could get in big time trouble for not charging sales tax. If you are going to routinely make big purchases like this, get a reseller tax id. I have not bought on several occasions from C-Link because the extra 12 % they add to the cost - tax plus 3% credit surcharge. Other times I just bite the bullet and get the book I want.

# of Bids Placed: 19

Accepted - Reserved: 0

Declined - Removed: 1 :acclaim:

Welcome to Comiclink!

:P

lol

Update: It's a tie :insane:

Accepted - Reserved: 2

Declined - Removed: 2

15 to go :popcorn:

I was about to place a substantial order through comiclink for a few books and while going through the checkout process I see that I'm about to get charged $270 in sales tax :frustrated:

Needless to say this might just be the deal breaker for me and I'll probably end up spending 3k elsewhere.

Does everyone on here pay sales tax or is it just because I'm in nY?

I feel your pain every damned time that I buy a book from Heritage here in Texas. It has definitely reduced by a huge amount the books that I "have to have" from them. The tax, buyers premium, and shipping can raise a book to a stupid level sometimes.

Everybody does realize you are supposed to pay sales tax on purchases in NY - it's the law.

Tyco CEO Dennis Kozlowski didn't think he should be paying sales tax on his Sotheby's painting purchases.

ooooooooooops........... bad example

he's in jail for the next 20 years

Everybody does realize you are supposed to pay sales tax on purchases in NY - it's the law. Comiclink is a business and they could get in big time trouble for not charging sales tax. If you are going to routinely make big purchases like this, get a reseller tax id. I have not bought on several occasions from C-Link because the extra 12 % they add to the cost - tax plus 3% credit surcharge. Other times I just bite the bullet and get the book I want.

What is a reseller tax ID and how does that work?

just because I'm in nY?

(thumbs u

Well that blows :mad:

You should move...no one should have to live in New York. There is a whole beautiful country out there on the other side of the Mississippi.

(:

(shrug):grin:

Do sellers counter in clink? Or is it just yay or nay?

As a seller, I have offered a counter price.

Can a seller send a "private" counter to the bidder, or is it essentially just a public lowering of the offered price that any potential buyer could jump on?