• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade given by eBay seller!

18 posts in this topic

OK - check this out. Assume that any part of the comic NOT shown in the scan is 100% PERFECT (which it's not, but for argument's sake assume it is) and post the grade you'd give the book in the attached image. Answer to be revealed after at least 5 responses.

341445-avengers202-94-96.jpg.33dfd33800cab058773960da49046200.jpg

I'd say the condition on those two books (and I base this purely on they're being modern-age books) is somewhere between GAOH and TH.

GAOH=Give Away On Halloween.

TH=Trash Heap

That's pretty much the condition of those two Avengers.

Seriously, about VG- or VG? and VG+?

The description by the ebay seller?

Probably something to the extent of:

"Mint+ 11.0 Never been touched by human hands. Never had an owner, including me. Flawless, beautiful, and absolutely remarkable, these rare masterpieces from the ancient days of comics!"

YOU ARE BIDDING ON A BEAUTIFUL LOT OF (20) AVENGERS FROM #201-220 WITH APPEARANCES BY GHOST RIDER AND SLVER SURFER IN 9.4-9.6 CONDITION. THESE COMICS ARE LIKE NEW. MOST HAVE BEEN READ ONCE AND BAGGED(SEE SCAN).

It would seem to me that anyone knowledgeable enough about comics to know that there even is such a thing as a 9.4 or 9.6 grade, should actually have SOME idea what constitutes such a grade! I can see a 'careless' seller listing 8.5's as 9.4's - worse happens ALL the time. Of course the scan didn't show anything bad as it was a small scan of a stack of books. I'd say if you throw out the VF and FN books I showed, the average of the rest of the lot was AT BEST 8.0.

At least he gave me a full refund, except for my cost to return the shipment.

So as not to be a total tool since the seller DID refund my money - I'll just say that the seller uses the grade range in MOST of his listing titles - i.e. Avengers 201-220 (9.4-9.6) - and the seller's name starts and ends with the last letter of the alphabet.

Here you go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2204109537

Again - he gave me a FULL refund, very quickly. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he 'grabbed the wrong lot' or 'copied the wrong description', but I don't plan on bidding on any of this auctions again regardless!

I'm VERY surprised with a feedback rating of over 1400 - 100% positive! Only 3 neutrals.

I guess there just aren't that many folks like us in eBay-land buying comics!

Here you go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2204109537

Again - he gave me a FULL refund, very quickly. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he 'grabbed the wrong lot' or 'copied the wrong description', but I don't plan on bidding on any of this auctions again regardless!

I'm VERY surprised with a feedback rating of over 1400 - 100% positive! Only 3 neutrals.

I guess there just aren't that many folks like us in eBay-land buying comics!

eBay's Feedback system DOES NOT WORK.

eBay's Feedback system DOES NOT WORK.

I often wonder just how it is suppose to work...

High feedback tells you:

The person is honest (will get item/will refund if unhappy).

That they can use the mail system properly.

Other than those two things what else can high feedback tell you?

aces; i agree that the feedback system doesn't work as one would expect. this example of a perfect 1500 or so is a good one. doubt this is the first time this seller did this, but most buyers would probably either be happy with the grades on the other 18 or ask for a refund. and since he complied, he probably gets a positive (certainly no worse than a neutral).

i'm as guilty as the next guy for being way too generous on the feedback. i've only blasted one canadian gal for totally screwin' me on a 3 grand auction which included major overgrading on old x-men keys and some significant and obvious restoration. she (mary macri - comix32) also charged me an extra $130 for purolator 2day courier service and then sent via regular canadian post). out of almost 300 purchases, these were the only two negs i left, and as i look back i've been way too kind.

hey, why do you think i'm BURNTBOY................ 893frustrated.gif