• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

will the early Image books ever be worth anything?

59 posts in this topic

No.

Unless some bizarre event were to happen, whereby the Image books of 1992-1994 are all thrown in a mass pile into the Pacific ocean, then no, they will never be "worth" anything.

Comic book printruns in the millions + mintfreak collectors who bought dozens of copies and kept them in perfect condition = 25 cent books for decades.

Now, these are regular release books, not premiums (golds, plats, holofoil, laser-beam-shooting-your-eye-out covers, etc.)

And there are, of course, exceptions to this rule....

This about sums it up.

(thumbs u

we're there just to many printed, or are they just not that good?

Switch it around...they weren't that good AND there are too many of them. I always felt early Image was some of the most over-rated comics I ever seen. I mean if Jim Lee, Rob Liefeld,Todd McFarlane, Mark Silvestri, Erik Larsen and some of the other stars of the day didn't have their name on them, they'd be about as hot as Charlton Romance Comics in Very Good Minus condition today. Thank goodness Image got better as years passed. The guy that posted the picture of the waste basket hit it right on the head.

we're there just to many printed, or are they just not that good?

Switch it around...they weren't that good AND there are too many of them. I always felt early Image was some of the most over-rated comics I ever seen. I mean if Jim Lee, Rob Liefeld,Todd McFarlane, Mark Silvestri, Erik Larsen and some of the other stars of the day didn't have their name on them, they'd be about as hot as Charlton Romance Comics in Very Good Minus condition today. Thank goodness Image got better as years passed. The guy that posted the picture of the waste basket hit it right on the head.

And remember all those cross-title issues that you had to cut the coupons out of to get that silly Image 0? I did that with one set, got the book, and wondered what the heck was I thinking. It was horrible!

And there were folks buying up multiple sets to get that book.

I think their future relative value has a great deal to do with just how many people will give up and use them for kindling.

-Rob-

Every week I see people trying to unload their late 80s/90s drek on craigslist etc and finding out it ain't worth nothin' and nobody wants it. Maybe, just maybe enough of these books will be eventually thrown out that the remaining might have some value in the distant future.

But, too many people will hold on hoping that does happen, and they'll be too many forgotten boxes of HG in people's basements etc.

So I don't think it'll ever happen or at least not any time soon.

I remember when Image first came out - I was living in the Seattle area and they were all the rage. I've told this tale a few times, and I'll likely tell it a few more:

When I lived in the Seattle area, I went to a store (I think it was in Kent, but can't be sure) where the owner had bought very large quantities of Image's first books. He told me he was sure he'd sell out and he pointed toward the back where there were more and more boxes of Image books.

"For my retirement," he boasted. I'm pretty sure that store is no longer in business and I always hope that guy did make it to retirement okay without counting on his massive speculation purchase.

As someone else previously said, the later Maxx issues are about the ones I ever see sell well. If one wanted, I'm sure they could find pallets of Image books for mega cheap. I just sold a few thousand Image books a while back for fifteen-cents each and felt like I got a good deal doing that.

i know they have some value. but will the day ever come when books like Savage Dragon 1, Spawn 1, Shadow Hawk 1, Youngblood 1, WildC.A.T.S. 1, etc. go for money like some of the BA key books go for today? you wold think that at some point people will look back and feel some nostalgia for those early days of Image.

or we're there just to many printed, or are they just not that good?

are there a ton of these books on the census graded at 9.8? or did they fall off the charts before CGC came around?

anyways, just something i've always wondered. :)

The answer is yes.... if demand exceeds supply. :grin:

The market dynamics and collector base aren't really trending that way, to say the least.

Where the heck is Stephen Platt these days?? Wizard had him pegged as the second coming of Christ in 1992, they brainwashed me into buying a bunch of Prophet books (which all sucked)

If one wanted, I'm sure they could find pallets of Image books for mega cheap.

I was looking through about 70+ longboxes of store backstock a couple months ago a guy who inherited them was selling for $30 per box. At least half dozen of those boxes were all the early Image books...all in unread condition The only issues I could see were missing were Spawn #1-5...but it's possible they were in another box. There's no lack of these issues out there and they will never be worth anything in my opinion.

There were also two boxes of all versions of X-Men #1 and about a 3/4 box of X-Force #1, and multiple boxes of Marvel 1993 annuals. The early-90s was a crazy time...

Jim

WildC.A.T.S,Spawn whaeever one become movies will a short term value. you would think Jim Lee would push WildC.A.T.S his baby onto Hollywood.

Because Spawn becoming a movie and TV show has really helped its value go up?

Where the heck is Stephen Platt these days?? Wizard had him pegged as the second coming of Christ in 1992, they brainwashed me into buying a bunch of Prophet books (which all sucked)

Heh. There's a current sales thread where a guy's trying to sell a Moon Knight sketch by Platt...

Late Spawn issues are worth decent coin now. There are a lot of issues between #80-120 that sell for decent money. The early issues were really over produced and will probably never be really valueable. Some of the coupon issues in 10.0 will probably carry some value.