• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Off-eBay transaction... is it safe?

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys, so I won a book on ebay from a seller. After talking to the seller, they informed me that they had a lot of other books. I inquired about one that was not listed on ebay. Now, I want the book but the seller says is asking me to pay through paypal for the book to avoid seller fees, etc.

So, I haven't paid for the book I won on ebay yet and now I want this other book which is not on ebay. Would you be worried about paying for the off-ebay book?

No, some of the best deals can be had with eBay sellers off eBay. Why pay listing and FVF fees to eBay when you don't have to?

Have you dealt with the seller before? If they're both raw books, then you might want to hold off until you get a chance to see his grading.

I've sold many books to repeat satisfied customers off eBay.

Yes, buy something from the person first. I went off-eBay for a 1st transaction and the books were grossly over-graded; my PayPal claim options were limited. However, I've done some really good deals with people with whom I had established relationships.

Hey guys, so I won a book on ebay from a seller. After talking to the seller, they informed me that they had a lot of other books. I inquired about one that was not listed on ebay. Now, I want the book but the seller says is asking me to pay through paypal for the book to avoid seller fees, etc.

So, I haven't paid for the book I won on ebay yet and now I want this other book which is not on ebay. Would you be worried about paying for the off-ebay book?

Pay with Paypal. Get ins/tracking.

And for God's sake, if the seller is named Robojo33, pass on the offer. :insane:

i've made a large number of deals off ebay. Always with a repeat seller and always with someone with good feedback. I've gotten some excellent one-of-a-kind books out of t and have yet to have a problem

I have bought tons of stuff from people I met through eBay, then dealt with off-eBay. Spent 15k with one guy on his original owner collection and 5k with another guy. I had no qualms about it, though I insisited on Paypal.

As everyone has been saying, you may have some good deals off of ebay as some of the sellers have books that they haven't listed yet. If I were you, I'd ask for large scans of the book, definitely check his feedback from his past transactions, and use paypal. I have dealt with many sellers off of ebay and have gotten some tremendous deals.

No, some of the best deals can be had with eBay sellers off eBay. Why pay listing and FVF fees to eBay when you don't have to?

Have you dealt with the seller before? If they're both raw books, then you might want to hold off until you get a chance to see his grading.

Same here - I've both sold & bought off-ebay. I always use paypal & I only do it with people who have good feedback. So far I haven't been burned - fingers crossed.

(thumbs u