• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet Top 100 Phantom Lady

57 posts in this topic

The Top 100 by value ... of course value generally reflects ... supply, demand, significance, perception, etc.Will Overstreet ... ever price one of these books there ... But I think all that is in place on PL 17 ...

I for one think the market can and would support a 30 to 50 k price on a high grade PL 17 ...

PL 17 is not the rarest of books ... but it is the King ... errrr .... Queen of it's entire genre Good Girl Art ... and always turns heads

There are several books on the list ... that don't hold a candle to it in my opinion ...

while I'm at it Blue Beetle 54 ... and some other GGA's ... come to mind ... but not one of these GGA books is on the value 100 list.

If you had PL Lady 17 or Blue Beetle 54 ... in say NM ... would you sell them for less than every other book on the Overstreet 100?

There no way I'd sell these books for less than say ... Green Giant Comics 1 or New York Worlds Fair 1940 or Famous Funnies 1 ... nothing wrong with thiese books ... I am not suggesting they are worth less ... I'm saying that some of the rarest and finest GGA books are worth just as much and are in much higher demand than several of the top 100 golden age value books...

This is an example of the guide being more of a MISS GUIDE ...

Overstreet 8 that featured the GGA cover ... and yet ... by value no GGA book presently makes the list.

Will one ever make it ... I guess if one does it will be PL 17 ... who is it SKYBOLT? I think with that big collection of GGA books ... I guess he'll love this post?

But wonder what some others think? These books sell so rarely it's tough to guess what they are really worth ... but I think Overstreet is a little soft on GGA

Based on recent sales, it appears the #17 is on par with World's Fair. Famous Funnies still seems to be a good deal ahead of it for mid-grades and I would assume way ahead in higher grades (NM 1934s don't come around too often).

Excellent point. I would also think some of the big crime books need to start getting some respect. CDNP #22 and 24 and Fight Against Crime #20 sell for well above what the guide states, but I also know some of the experts on these boards could list numerous books that need to be adjusted by multiples of guide, which could dramatically change the Top 100.

A PL17 will spank an equal grade Green Giant and World's Fair '40 every time, and most likely a World's Fair '39 also.

But I really can't see any other GGA book cracking the top 100. The bottom of the list now carries an $18K price tag to get in, and no other GGA book comes close to that kind of price.

Just don't expect your Overstreet to ever tell you that.

There are several books on the list ... that don't hold a candle to it in my opinion ...

while I'm at it Blue Beetle 54 ... and some other GGA's ... come to mind ... but not one of these GGA books is on the value 100 list.

Maybe BB 54 belongs in the Top 100 and maybe a generic 9.4 will sell for more that $18K now, but there are no sales to justify that.

Church copy

D copy

2008 sale

I think one thing that the Top 100 list has failed to take into consideration is how many more "cover collectors" are out there, especially since the arrival of CGC.

Certain GA covers sell for huge premiums, and are much more desired then most of the books in the bottom third of the Top 100 list.

Does anyone serious think a Superman # 14 in 9.2/9.4 wouldn't bring $30k+ at auction, perhaps closer to $50k? Yet, its nowhere close to breaking into the Top 100. Of course, even if there was such a sale, would next year's Overstreet Guide accurately reflect it? Probably not.

And before someone points out that such a hypothetical sale does not exist, and a price Guide can't be based on hypotheticals, I would say my logic is no different than the Formulaic incremental valuations we see in the Guide year after year (also not based on any real sales).

At least mine is a prognostication based on genuine market observations.

I agree that Phantom Lady #17 in high grade is a contender for the top 100 books, but unfortunatley I don't see a lot of collectors shelling out more than $10K for other GGA comics (myself included). As "adamstrange" pointed out, the HG Church copy of BB #54 only sold for $6K a few years ago! Although, I was surprised that the Church copy of Brenda Starr #14 went for well over $17K in another Heritage Auction.

IMO, I just don't think there are enough big time collectors out there to drive up prices for GGA covers once they reach the $8K to $10K mark. I'm sorry to put out some boardie names who have spent a lot on a single book in the past, but I just can't imagine seeing "Esquirecomics" battling "tth2" for a HG copy of Phantom Lady #17. First of all it's not their niche, and second of all I believe that GGA is still in its infancy and will take a decade or 2 to get some recognition among big time collectors.

I mean some classic war covers still command strong prices, but they still have proven characters like Batman, Superman, and Captain America gracing the covers to help them out. Unfortunately, Phantom Lady is only noticed as a great classic cover having a girl with big boobies featured on it. Unfortunatley, she's still not Batman!

Even though I'm a huge GGA collector, if someone gave me $15K to spend on 1 comic book, I'd still buy an AF #15 instead of a rare HG classic GGA issue. The main reason for that is because $15K is still $15K, and I don't want to be on top of the GGA mountain all by myself! Although that thought does sound compelling. hm

Maybe BB 54 belongs in the Top 100 and maybe a generic 9.4 will sell for more that $18K now, but there are no sales to justify that.

Church copy

D copy

2008 sale

Man would I love to have that Church copy of that book :luhv:

Church copy

D copy

2008 sale

Man would I love to have that Church copy of that book :luhv:

So did RHG. He was smart enough to bid when it was up for auction. (thumbs u

I agree that Phantom Lady #17 in high grade is a contender for the top 100 books, but unfortunatley I don't see a lot of collectors shelling out more than $10K for other GGA comics (myself included). As "adamstrange" pointed out, the HG Church copy of BB #54 only sold for $6K a few years ago! Although, I was surprised that the Church copy of Brenda Starr #14 went for well over $17K in another Heritage Auction.

IMO, I just don't think there are enough big time collectors out there to drive up prices for GGA covers once they reach the $8K to $10K mark. I'm sorry to put out some boardie names who have spent a lot on a single book in the past, but I just can't imagine seeing "Esquirecomics" battling "tth2" for a HG copy of Phantom Lady #17. First of all it's not their niche, and second of all I believe that GGA is still in its infancy and will take a decade or 2 to get some recognition among big time collectors.

I mean some classic war covers still command strong prices, but they still have proven characters like Batman, Superman, and Captain America gracing the covers to help them out. Unfortunately, Phantom Lady is only noticed as a great classic cover having a girl with big boobies featured on it. Unfortunatley, she's still not Batman!

Even though I'm a huge GGA collector, if someone gave me $15K to spend on 1 comic book, I'd still buy an AF #15 instead of a rare HG classic GGA issue. The main reason for that is because $15K is still $15K, and I don't want to be on top of the GGA mountain all by myself! Although that thought does sound compelling. hm

Very thoughtful. I had forgotten about the Brenda Starr which was a beautiful book but did seem surprisingly high relative to similar quality good girl covers.

First of all it's not their niche, and second of all I believe that GGA is still in its infancy and will take a decade or 2 to get some recognition among big time collectors.

I'd argue the opposite - that GGA peaked back in the late 70s & early 80s (when the genre was at the top of collecting and the term was coined) and has been a niche market since. If people want to spend big $$ on boobies from the 50s, there are better ways to do it.

First of all it's not their niche, and second of all I believe that GGA is still in its infancy and will take a decade or 2 to get some recognition among big time collectors.

I'd argue the opposite - that GGA peaked back in the late 70s & early 80s (when the genre was at the top of collecting and the term was coined) and has been a niche market since. If people want to spend big $$ on boobies from the 50s, there are better ways to do it.

Yeah, spend big money on modern boobies.