• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pre-Screens

40 posts in this topic

My biggest fear is packing that many books at once for grading. Hell, after an incident last year, I sweat out shipping 30 at a whack for VT subs.

No kidding seems like a kind of raw deal for pre-screens on the pre 75's. Even knock it down to $25.00 a book and it adds up just as quick. But at least it would have saved you on shipping ad heart pills.

Don't let the mechanic fool you, Pat. I would be willing to bet that he made all the grading fees back with the sale of four or five books. :whistle: Nik knows what time it is.

I had a pre-screen at one NYCCC for 9.4, one book came back that didn't make the cut was a key. I was going to grade it anyway, so i sent it in by mail straight to CGC. The same book came back a 9.6, so you never know.

That the funniest thing I've read all month! lol

My biggest fear is packing that many books at once for grading. Hell, after an incident last year, I sweat out shipping 30 at a whack for VT subs.

Why? Because of the fees. Or them getting lost, damaged, etc.. Any suggestions for making sure they arrive the same condition as they leave ?

Fees don't bother me as much as them getting damaged.

I had a sub last year where 10 of the 15 books were crushed. That one still hurts to this day.

I had a pre-screen at one NYCCC for 9.4, one book came back that didn't make the cut was a key. I was going to grade it anyway, so i sent it in by mail straight to CGC. The same book came back a 9.6, so you never know.
What were the era of books? SA, MA?

Bronze Age

Did you insure them?

If you insure the books for the FMV arent they covered in an event like this ?

Never did prior to that happening but for sure after that happened.

What were the era of books? SA, MA?

Bronze Age

Nice!

Did you insure them?

I figured I would after what happened with Detctive27kid. He just didnt insure for enough.

Did you insure them?

(tsk)

You must have a better Post Office than I do. After seeing the folks handling packages at my local PO, I knew I had to insure every single thing ever leaving or coming through that facility.

Just a suggestion, but if you are going to be attending a convention this year at which CGC will be present (not necessarily grading) then hand deliver the prescreen. I've done this a couple times and all books arrived safely to Florida = CGC handled and shipped them with care.

Also CGC will charge something like 4.00 a book if more than a few don't make the grade. With that in mind I would consider prescreening at 9.6 . Let's just say

40 of the 50 make it at 9.8. You will be charged 4.00 a book and still pay for return shipping and insurance as if it were slabbed. Let's say 47 of the 50 make it at 9.6, you will have 7 9.6 books slabbed but no additional fees. Most books should at least get your slabbing fees back at 9.6. Isn't this better than to pay 4.00 for nothing ?

I do at least one 200 book 9.8 modern pre-screen every year, sometimes two. Think I've done it for 3 or 4 years now.

I'm happy when I get two graded out of three. My average is probably 3 out of 4. Maybe 9 or 9 out of 10 on 9.6 pre-screens. Yes, I look at the books before I send them. Usually. One time I didn't look, because I was afraid to handle to book since they looked so minty in the polybag, I got two 9.9s. :)

My numbers are a bit low because I screen books from the early to mid 90's. I assume I would do better if I was screening newer books.

Most of the ones that come back ungraded I can find something I just missed the first time, or saw and thought it would be acceptable but wasn't. I'd say 1 out of 20 or so rejects I'm just plain stumped on. A few I've put aside for resubmission and some have come back graded the next time, some not.

My understanding of the pre-screen process is that a single person makes the grade/no grade judgement. So his eye could be fooled by some cover art that looks like a crease or a bindery defect that looks like wear. Once it gets by the pre-screener, it still may not be graded if the three graders do not agree on a grade that meets the cut.

Good luck!

I attend every convention on the east coast, well almost. But the next is not until June, and really want to get the ball rolling. I dont want to do the 9.6 either because I would rather pay $5.00 for a non-slabbed book then sell it for $10.00 on ebay as a flunkie. Maybe a 2-3 dollar difference, but makes sense to me.

Also, I want to thank everyone for the input so far. Some very useful information.

And CKB sounds like you have it all worked out!