• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Passport Comics and Earl Bowman in NOrth Hollywood
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Anyone here on the boards know whatever happened to Earl Bowman, the owner of Passport Comics which closed early this decade? HIs shop was located on Victory Blvd in North Hollywood, CA. He and his wife Dee operated the store for over 20 years. I was a frequent visitor. Are they still alive? I hope so. Any information would be appreciated.

I recently bought a small run of Defenders signed by Steve Englehart and they had this store stamp in them..I tried to google and got nothing can anyone remember if earl's store did this?

Thanks in advance. in comics no one ever stays dead...and in comic forums the threads don't either

IMG_4652.JPG

I am pretty  sure that Earl  died a while back.

I met with a guy many years  ago who had several thousand comics in a storage locker in North Hollywood, not too far from the location of Passport.

He had boxes of worthless books , that had clearly been picked over.  He told me that this was the stock from a closed LCS  and several of the boxes had identification from Passport.

Earl helped me get back into comics  when I lived close to his store in the mid to late 80's

I always enjoyed his mimeograph Newsletters as well as talking comics with him

Jim

Yep, Earl was big for me too in terms of comics. Taught me how to grade, collect and take care of them the right way as a youngster. My current store, Passport Comics, is a riff/tribute on that store's name. Some of the books I still own were from there.

Edited by Passport Comics

And here's another stamp from a book I got from the same seller:

My Defenders (signed by Englehart) say Passport Book Store

This Captain America (signed by Kirby) says Passport Book Shop

I'm assuming it's the same - but would love confirmation!

IMG_7A9FBAD9D44D-1.jpeg