• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any guesses as to the CGC Census's % of what exists in GA?

58 posts in this topic

Sorry, tb, I just edited my question's topic away from RSI and to be about CGC. The reason I changed is basically in agreement with your thought here. So any thoughts about the new question?

There are far more GA collectors who do NOT want their books slabbed, so the census will certainly be incomplete and inaccurate for TOTAL population...but it's a nice sized piece of it.As far as Gerber...it's a fine tool but like any reference should not be followed blindly. I've found the greatest innaccuracies in the 4 to 7 ratings, probably due to Gerber's extensive network making books seem more common to him than they actually are.Alot of 5's and 6's are more difficult to find than their ranking would lead one to believe.It is still admirable enough an effort for me to use it as a buying or selling criteria.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

If my Golden Age collection were the norm, then I would guess the census to have about 5% of all golden age books graded, or slightly less. I doubt we are at 10% of all available books.

If my Golden Age collection were the norm, then I would guess the census to have about 5% of all golden age books graded, or slightly less. I doubt we are at 10% of all available books.

I have to agree. And as many of the survivors from the GA are in poor condition there would be no reason to slab (from an economic standpoint if no other reason). I would think that CGC census is actually a better representation for the issues that are scarce or rare as they have more value and are more likely to be slabbed in the first place. The vast bulk of the books printed in the GA will never be slabbed.

Another important question would be of all the GA books out there that are not in slabs (particularly the top 100) how many of them have any sort of restoration done on them which would prevent them from being slabbed with a Blue Universal holder? hm

Another important question would be of all the GA books out there that are not in slabs (particularly the top 100) how many of them have any sort of restoration done on them which would prevent them from being slabbed with a Blue Universal holder? hm

Do you mean of all existing copies of the top 100 books? I would not even know how to hazard a realistic guess to that. Based on no rational criteria at all I would say 25-30% would come back with some sort of restoration that would garner a purple label. I could be way off on that though. (shrug)

I would assume that the % of GA books in existence in CGC holders goes up directly with the "grade" of said books.

In other words ....

For lower grade books, maybe CGC has slabbed anywhere between 1-10% of those books

And for mid-grade books, maybe CGC has slabbed 10-30%.

And for mid to higher grade books, the percentages goes up to maybe 40-60%.

And for books in the upper end (9.0 and up range), I would assume that its pretty close to 75-90%

Sorry, tb, I just edited my question's topic away from RSI and to be about CGC. The reason I changed is basically in agreement with your thought here. So any thoughts about the new question?

most of my books are the only copies known to exist.

in my subdivision. or at least on my side of the street.

I would think that CGC census is actually a better representation for the issues that are scarce or rare as they have more value and are more likely to be slabbed in the first place.

I would assume that the % of GA books in existence in CGC holders goes up directly with the "grade" of said books.

In other words ....

For lower grade books, maybe CGC has slabbed anywhere between 1-10% of those books

And for books in the upper end (9.0 and up range), I would assume that its pretty close to 75-90%

GA and Mutie;

I would most definitely have to say that your percentages would be much more indicative of the SA population as opposed to the GA population of books.

Based upon the GA collectors and collections out there, many of the high grade GA books are held by long-term collectors who really doesn't give a darn about CGC at this point in time. The slabbing of books only comes into play when it comes time to buy or sell a book and virtually all old time collectors see no other real reason to get a book slabbed.

The SA market would appear to be completely different as it is dominated mostly by the newer CGC generation of collectors who's much more concerned about things such as the highest graded copy and the CGC registry points.

Bottom-line: The vast majority of HG GA books are still sitting out there in raw collections while the uber HG SA books are sitting in slabbed collections.

In other words ....

I would agree.

Bottom-line: The vast majority of HG GA books are still sitting out there in raw collections

What he said.

I would think that CGC census is actually a better representation for the issues that are scarce or rare as they have more value and are more likely to be slabbed in the first place.

In other words ....

GA and Mutie;

I would most definitely have to say that your percentages would be much more indicative of the SA population as opposed to the GA population of books.

Based upon the GA collectors and collections out there, many of the high grade GA books are held by long-term collectors who really doesn't give a darn about CGC at this point in time. The slabbing of books only comes into play when it comes time to buy or sell a book and virtually all old time collectors see no other real reason to get a book slabbed.

The SA market would appear to be completely different as it is dominated mostly by the newer CGC generation of collectors who's much more concerned about things such as the highest graded copy and the CGC registry points.

Bottom-line: The vast majority of HG GA books are still sitting out there in raw collections while the uber HG SA books are sitting in slabbed collections.

While I agree that the biggest reason to slab a book is to sell it, I am not sure I agree that GA sits in long term collections any more (or less) than SA or BA does unless of course you are talking about OO collections where GA obviously wins out as it was published first.

Hard core collectors are going to keep those books they want and there are certainly those GA collectors that are looking for the highest graded copies. I do not think this is just a trait of those that collect SA and later.

In other words ....

I think some of you guys are WAY overestimating the percent of slabbed golden age books. Go to a show. Look around. How many slabs do you see? Raw books (of any age) outnumber slabs by 1,000 to 1 at a very conservative minimum. The CGC census is just a tiny, tiny fraction of what is out there. I would say that CGC has slabbed no more than 1% of golden age books out there. Probably far less.

In other words ....

GA and Mutie;

Hey, that sounds like me ....the old guy with GA books, never having slabbed anything and owning over 400 "high grade" GA. I understand the reason for slabbing, but that reason is not what motivates me today. jb

In other words ....

I think some of you guys are WAY overestimating the percent of slabbed golden age books. Go to a show. Look around. How many slabs do you see? Raw books (of any age) outnumber slabs by 1,000 to 1 at a very conservative minimum. The CGC census is just a tiny, tiny fraction of what is out there. I would say that CGC has slabbed no more than 1% of golden age books out there. Probably far less.

No doubt. I believe that the posts above pre-suppose the discussion is about KEY (as it seems that's all we talk about in this forum) so that insert and in that context re-evaluate the posts.

With that in mind, the percentages listed above are still WAY off. Go to any tiny show across the country and you'll hear about local collectors with deep buried collections and many non-CGCed keys. Heck at my local $2 entry show held every other month, I know of 3 guys there that have a Bats 1 (admittedly a common key) and more! That's one city in one state and only the guys that advertize what they own ...

In other words ....

No doubt. I believe that the posts above pre-suppose the discussion is about KEY (as it seems that's all we talk about in this forum) so that insert and in that context re-evaluate the posts.

With that in mind, the percentages listed above are still WAY off. Go to any tiny show across the country and you'll hear about local collectors with deep buried collections and many non-CGCed keys. Heck at my local $2 entry show held every other month, I know of 3 guys there that have a Bats 1 (admittedly a common key) and more! That's one city in one state and only the guys that advertize what they own ...

Just to clarify my second post I pasted below... I mean that of all copies both CGC and raw of the top 100 books I would guess (again with no way of backing it up) that 25-30% have had some sort of restoration done to them over the years, either professional or just a kid back in the 40's that put glue on a spine when it split.

I absolutely believe that the vast majority of books of any age are not now and never will be professionally graded.

Do you mean of all existing copies of the top 100 books? I would not even know how to hazard a realistic guess to that. Based on no rational criteria at all I would say 25-30% would come back with some sort of restoration that would garner a purple label. I could be way off on that though.

In other words ....

Many of the slabbed copies on the census are not even slabbed anymore.Every GA book I've bought slabbed is now out, except one mid grade Mile High that is still encased for reasons of verification.Andy's right about the percentages....I myself own 10 copies of every GA book ever published, except keys...I own 20 copies each of those :sumo: ....all raw.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yup. There used to be literally dozens of Action #1's on con walls back in the day. Where are they now?

They are all out there somewhere.

There are WAY more books out there than we can imagine. You name it, Marvel #1, Superman #1, Batman #1...they are all out there in collections, attics etc.