• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All in Color for a Dime

8 posts in this topic

I've been reading this book All in Color for a Dime, and when I came to the color section in the middle I saw this. Heres the caption:

"This is one of the half-dozen rarest comic books known, commanding $250 and more in dealers' catalogs. Its most interesting features are the origin stories of the Human Torch and the Sub-Mariner. "

Wonder who the dealers were back in 1970 who offered this book for $250? BTW.....its a pretty good read. I've especially enjoyed the Popeye essay.

MM1fromallincolor.jpg

I, too, liked Blackbeard's essay on Popeye. I also enjoyed "O.K., Axis, Here We Come".

I had this book back in the 70s, in Ace paperback. I read it until it fell apart. I recently bought the 1997 second edition and was pleased to see that they had included the Harlan Ellison piece, "Comic of the Absurd", that had apparently missed the deadline in 1970.

Good memories of comics before they became such big ticket items. Of course, when this book was first published, "Silver Age" comics were "Moderns" and the Marvel Age of Comics, itself, was just nine years old.

I've been reading this book All in Color for a Dime, and when I came to the color section in the middle I saw this. Heres the caption:

"This is one of the half-dozen rarest comic books known, commanding $250 and more in dealers' catalogs. Its most interesting features are the origin stories of the Human Torch and the Sub-Mariner. "

Wonder who the dealers were back in 1970 who offered this book for $250? BTW.....its a pretty good read. I've especially enjoyed the Popeye essay.

MM1fromallincolor.jpg

One of the greatest comics ever made!

I, too, liked Blackbeard's essay on Popeye. I also enjoyed "O.K., Axis, Here We Come".

I had this book back in the 70s, in Ace paperback. I read it until it fell apart. I recently bought the 1997 second edition and was pleased to see that they had included the Harlan Ellison piece, "Comic of the Absurd", that had apparently missed the deadline in 1970.

Good memories of comics before they became such big ticket items. Of course, when this book was first published, "Silver Age" comics were "Moderns" and the Marvel Age of Comics, itself, was just nine years old.

Hmmmm

I have a copy of the Ace paperback, bought back in the day, and it definitely has Ellison's piece in it.

Maybe it was only absent in the original hardcover?

BTW I thought then (and still do) that Harlan's piece was not the best of the contributions.

Did you (or anyone here :blush: ) every read "Bimbos from the Death Sun" by Sharyn McCrumb. Its a really fun read about a science fiction convention and one .....unpleasant guest pro.....who seems by all hints to be Mr. Ellison ...unamed of course.