• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could change one thing about CGC what would it be?

176 posts in this topic

Graders' notes on line for all to view.

YES! I think many people besides board members would truly like this option.

Also, I get a lot of books reholdered (esp. ones I know I will be keeping for many, many years) because I personally feel getting my books reholdered every 7ish years is a good thing for the corners sake and I figure fresh microchamber paper can't be bad thing............so maybe a bulk rate or some something of the sort for an above average order would be a nice perk.

Just a general reply:

As far as grader's notes online revelaing some kind of trade secret as to CGC's grading standards, the grader notes are available via a toll free call. Just cite the CGC number and you will get the notes. Unless that has changed? I have gotten grader notes on several books this way. So I don't see any Trade Secret being revealed since those notes are readily available.

As far as refusing to grade re-subs? I understand Mark Zaid's view on this but it is - how to put it in a legal context? A conflict of interest. Or at least an interest disregarding other contingincies. Without doubt there have been changes in CGC grading. Such is inevitable with shifting personnel and increased experience and exposure to books. How many Old Label books have been resubbed with a better grade? Is this devious or is it keeping up with the current standards? Does this leave matters open to being taken advantage of? Absolutely.

Books can be modified in an undetectable way after grading and resubbed for a potentially higher grade. In this it would be ideal for a photographic database to be maintained and for suspect books to be compared to the database. But in truth, the legal can of worms that would be opened if only certain books and not all books were subject to such scruitiny would be - well - interesting to say the least. As well as the demands from collectors to have their particular book compared. There is idealism and there is reality.

There is no doubt in my mind that I am a HUGE proponent of CGC, one could even say I love CGC....BUT

IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING ABOUT CGC WHAT WOULD IT BE??

I would change this entire CGC Community into a true-based membership only club. No more "alties", no more of not knowing who you are dealing with, etc.

I went round and round with Steve Borock with this, he did take the time to hear what I had to say, but felt that this "exclusive membership program" would drive away potential submitters. I say that the "haters/naysayers/never-gonna-submitters" are going to eventually wear down the present membership and accomplish their "agenda" whatever the hades it really is.

If everyone was an exclusive CGC member, there would not be nowhere near the garbage that has been on this Board.

CAL who toyed with the idea of starting his own service.

I wouldn't want it to be membership only. While I do submit, I don't think I'd be on these boards right now if I had to pay. I do plan to get a premium subscription in a year or so, but wouldn't base that decision on being able to participate on these boards, in fact I wouldn't be on these boards if I had to pay, and I wouldn't have meet the great people I have here and gained the knowledge I have since joining

I would change this entire CGC Community into a true-based membership only club. No more "alties", no more of not knowing who you are dealing with, etc.

What is an "altie"? I think you have to get over the notion of "community" here - this is a chatroom.

I went round and round with Steve Borock with this, he did take the time to hear what I had to say, but felt that this "exclusive membership program" would drive away potential submitters. I say that the "haters/naysayers/never-gonna-submitters" are going to eventually wear down the present membership and accomplish their "agenda" whatever the hades it really is.

Steve was of course 100% right here. Exclusivity is the last thing CGC needs. And your line about haters is subjective and nebulous - if you don't know what their agenda is, how can you construe that they're anti-CGC?

And the present membership will never be worn down by your so-called "haters". That's what the Moderators are for.

If everyone was an exclusive CGC member, there would not be nowhere near the garbage that has been on this Board.
I genuinely doubt that it would make any difference whatsoever. And to claim that these boards are infested with "garbage" is to do them a disservice.

Go for it, Cal!! I for one would heartily approve of such an enterprise. Nothing like healthy competition, after all..... hm

GOLDUST

Grader's notes on the (front or back) label.

Perhaps an actual date the book was submitted.

Published grading standards would be nice, but that will be a cold day in H E double toothpicks before that ever happens

Better incentives for membership (for example a choice of grading tier coupons for paid membership: 1 walkthrough with no $$ limit on the book FMV, the standard three book coupon with the $4k limit per book they have, or even a 5 book modern coupon. The choice might make paid membership more appealing

What is an "altie"? I think you have to get over the notion of "community" here - this is a chatroom.

An "altie" is a user I.D. that is an anonymous I.D.; usually done just to troll and otherwise be anegative trouble-making pest, with no true contributions to the Board the troll(s) decide to poison. The notion of a "community" CAN prevail if the majority of the members can somehow set it up in that manner.

Steve was of course 100% right here. Exclusivity is the last thing CGC needs. And your line about haters is subjective and nebulous - if you don't know what their agenda is, how can you construe that they're anti-CGC?

The "agenda" of the trolls being anti CGC would be easily seen by Ray Charles. Why else does Stu cathell keep getting "alties" that constantly get kicked off? Perhaps you need to either be more honest when responding to my posts, me in particular, or you do not understand what does transpire here on the Boards. Could be a little of both.

And the present membership will never be worn down by your so-called "haters". That's what the Moderators are for.

I disagree totally. There have been MANY members that have decided to quit, and not just quit the so-called public chatroom that ANYONE can decide to become a troll and aggravate. The Mods can only do so much, they are not paid to post these boards 24/7 but again, if the entry to this Forum was streamlined eficiently and treated as the exclusive club liek it would be if CAL was running the show, things would be much better for the active contributing membership body.

I genuinely doubt that it would make any difference whatsoever. And to claim that these boards are infested with "garbage" is to do them a disservice.

Go for it, Cal!! I for one would heartily approve of such an enterprise. Nothing like healthy competition, after all..... hm

If I had the time I could do it. I actually had a prototype of acrylic plastic made up. But I dropped the idea after much thought and the resto considerations. If I were better known in the industry that may have turned the tide, but we shall see.

GOLDUST

As far as grader's notes online revelaing some kind of trade secret as to CGC's grading standards, the grader notes are available via a toll free call. Just cite the CGC number and you will get the notes. Unless that has changed? I have gotten grader notes on several books this way. So I don't see any Trade Secret being revealed since those notes are readily available.

I am not talking the "trade secret" tangent, but what is so bad about putting the grader's notes on the slab's label? That way, we wouldn't have to take time to call them, and they wouldn't have to possibly waste time answering phones.

:D

I have also found that grader's notes don't always tell you something. The 7.5 Uncanny #135 that I ended up popping out of the slab (because it looks WAYYY better than a 7.5)? I called for grader's notes on that one and they didn't have anything to say. There was no hints to why this book graded the way it did - matter o' fact, there weren't any notes at all. I thought there would be something in there to tell me why this book got the grade it did, but there was nothing.

-slym (wishes he had kept the CGC label)

Just a general reply:

Pov one of the biggest problems with calling for grader notes is that you can only call from 9-5:30 Mon-Fri. MANY purchases are made on weekends...at auctions, at cons, on Ebay. Maybe even the majority. I'd do *almost* anything to be able to access notes on line 24/7

R.

I am not talking the "trade secret" tangent, but what is so bad about putting the grader's notes on the slab's label? That way, we wouldn't have to take time to call them, and they wouldn't have to possibly waste time answering phones.

I have also found that grader's notes don't always tell you something. The 7.5 Uncanny #135 that I ended up popping out of the slab (because it looks WAYYY better than a 7.5)? I called for grader's notes on that one and they didn't have anything to say. There was no hints to why this book graded the way it did - matter o' fact, there weren't any notes at all. I thought there would be something in there to tell me why this book got the grade it did, but there was nothing.

Slym I believe there are no notes on modern or value tier books any longer. Standard and Express tier books (the higher dollar value ones) will still have notes available.

R.

How about when returning slabs overseas they group the comics together when possible instead of sending as many different shipments as possible and passing the cost on to the customer ?

Sorry, just a bit pissed off. I've been submitting for a while now, and they have always sent my slabs together that I've submitted together, but just this week they've decided to send 3 different shipments and pass the extra shipping cost to me. They then tell me that if I want them shipped together, I need to request it on the forms. I would think it would be common sense, especially if it's an overseas location. Does anyone else agree ?

I also cannot figure out why they wouldn't do it. They have nothing to lose and much to gain.

R.

They have to pay an extra salary.... What do they have to gain? :shrug:

How much do you think they pay someone to answer the phone, field the call, look up the serial number, take 2-5 minutes of a grader's time for a book (I may call for more than one book sometimes), rinse repeat for every book.

That all costs money, breaks their work flow and slows down CGC's internal metabolism.

Pay some data entry guy a few bucks and hour, spend a few 10's of 1000's of $$, get it online and you have now offered a viable and important service to your client base.

Heck, charge me for it. I'll pay!

Really it's a no brainer to me. It just makes CGC that much more valuable.

Hell, CGC could hire me to do that job. I lose my day job in a couple of months anyway. Move me to Sarasota (I hate the winters in northern Illinois anyway) and I'll maintain graders' notes online, maintain the CGC census AND enter new comic titles in the CGC registry. I love statistics, data entry doesn't bother me and I can type over 100 words a minute.

Not bad for an old fat guy! lol

Slym I believe there are no notes on modern or value tier books any longer. Standard and Express tier books (the higher dollar value ones) will still have notes available.

R.

Oh, this was years ago... long before they even had the "new" label.

;)

-slym

How about when returning slabs overseas they group the comics together when possible instead of sending as many different shipments as possible and passing the cost on to the customer ?

Sorry, just a bit pissed off. I've been submitting for a while now, and they have always sent my slabs together that I've submitted together, but just this week they've decided to send 3 different shipments and pass the extra shipping cost to me. They then tell me that if I want them shipped together, I need to request it on the forms. I would think it would be common sense, especially if it's an overseas location. Does anyone else agree ?

I definitely understand the frustration here. They do the same thing with all shipments here in the states, so we are hit as well (although not nearly as much). I also understand that the primary reason they are doing this is because they are frankly making it more difficult for themselves by having to send books to the safe and coordinate the shipment. I'm not making excuses for them but that is the reason for this policy shift.

Speed up the turnaround times. NYCC was almost 2 months ago.. I want my books :cry:

^^

What good does them claiming to be "on-time" do when it takes them 3 weeks to encapsulate & ship your books after they've been graded?

I havent called about my books. I figure if I dont bother them they will be happier. I am feeling I am wrong though..

I called them because the status of my submission on the collector's society website seemed to be stuck on "scheduled for grading" - turned out they had graded the books a week earlier. That was a couple of weeks ago - still says "scheduled for grading" on the website, and last I heard, if I'm lucky my books might be sent out end of next week :P

Same problem here Mike. My latest Modern submission has been stuck at "Verified" for like 3 weeks now. If they are graded it would be nice to at least know what the grades are. (shrug)

Frankly, I consider it absurd that CGC believes its' grading standards are a "trade" secret and I question whether there is anything unique about them in the first place. How is CGC to be considered a leader in this hobby when it implements secret standards? Give me a break. meh

Why does Coke have a secret formula? Is there nothing unique about Coke? Can Coke be considered a leader with a secret formula?

Of course the soft drink business isn't a "hobby", but I think CGC's first priority is to make a profit. Personally, I can see more ways they have helped the hobby, then harmed it. What are some other "hobby leaders" ? Are there any "hobby leaders"?