• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iron Man #242 original cover art ... a question...

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! I have a question about this cover art. I do not own this peice, however my friend did. It's a long story about how he aquired it.

Basically he got lucky at an auction and won it on the cheap... He had no idea about comic art, but i had told him that covers are highly sought after, so he went for it and got very lucky. No competition for it, it was a poorly planned auction.

Anyways, He wanted to make a quick flip on it as the very next week he had some finacial issues, I told him to hold out, but he didn't listen and put it up on Craigslist and sold it for a little over $1,000.

It's long gone now, and Im sure someone on these forums may be the buyer, it doesnt matter, I am just curious!!

I was wondering what a piece like this would actually fetch.

The red writing on the right side is a note to the colorist from Bob Layton telling him the sand is turing to glass.

This is the only pic I have..

124128458_o.jpg

Sheesh!! Do I need to start surfing Craigslist for comic art??

What is even more crazy, is apparently, the guy from the auction house that had the cover, found it at a garage sale. The person who owned it, was the brother of a professional inker for marvel back in the 80's and 90's, and this was a present to him from Bob layton....he then gave it to his brother, who then sold it at the garage sale for nearly nothing... Along with a bunch of his brothers work!

Crazy world.

Sheesh!! Do I need to start surfing Craigslist for comic art??

You have no idea, Steve...(PM sent!)

Heheh...I'm sure there will be mass scanning of Craigslist tonight!:P

From time to time, there will be want ads posted on Craigslist for comic art. Mostly in the NYC area, but also other East Coast cities like Boston and Philly. All by the same poster. They are full of scans of art as examples, all taken from various sources, none owned by the poster (sound familiar? hm ). The next time I see one, I'll post it here.