• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTF is going on with the FS forum

302 posts in this topic

What if a simple fee is placed on the market place as well in order to sell, not a whole lot , but a one year membership sort of thing where as half the funds go to CGC for any costs incurred by making the necessary changes to bring in self moderation/ coding and the other half goes to charity such as HERO. Simple membership fees should get rid of the drive by sellers.

Sorry, I don't buy into the notion that the selling forum somehow generates slabbing revenue or so much additional ad revenue.

You don't? If I had not found this forum and used it to buy and sell books, not only would I never have slabbed a single comic, I probably wouldn't be collecting right now. This site, and the selling forum in particular, is a fantastic advertising tool. There is literally nothing better for a company than fostering a sense of community around a product, which is exactly what CGC has done here.

Amen, well put.

Maybe they should do some kind of pre-screening of anybody who wants to sell on the boards first.

Who is going to pre-screen sellers? That could be a full time job in and of itself.

Not if we did it, it wouldn't. Real simple, the long-term boardies nominate a three PERSON panel with the respect of all...foolkiller, nik, greggy, flyingdonut, beyonder, etc, etc...and they take applications and approve each seller by consensus.

Only 'approved' sellers have the ability to start a new thread in the Marketplace and this is the only work the Mods would have on their plates...a code change to allow those members thread posting rights.

As an addendum, between the three PERSON board, they could have limited Mod rights in the Marketplace, certainly the ability to delete a thread...and ultimately recommend to the Mods the withdrawal of thread posting rights for constant abusers. (thumbs u

Fixed that for you...

Not that I necessarily endorse the idea, I'm still thinking...but ...I saw you missed spellcheck;) :foryou:

Sorry, I don't buy into the notion that the selling forum somehow generates slabbing revenue or so much additional ad revenue.

You don't? If I had not found this forum and used it to buy and sell books, not only would I never have slabbed a single comic, I probably wouldn't be collecting right now. This site, and the selling forum in particular, is a fantastic advertising tool. There is literally nothing better for a company than fostering a sense of community around a product, which is exactly what CGC has done here.

:applause:

As for myself, I pay membership dues to CGC and my collection of slabbed books has increased more than 100%;)

Im with you on this 110% Andy. I gained interest in slabs becuase of this place. (thumbs u

I was referring to the selling forum specifically, not the forum overall. Andy's quote snipped the qualifier to my statement:

Any benefit they get out of it can be far outweighed by the headaches

Now if you still want to think that mass numbers of people are just learning about slabs and using CGC's services solely due to the selling forum, you have every right to do so. And I happen to think you are mistaken.

Fee's on there, lol, that sounds like a bad idea to me! Surely we are trying to encourage people to sell there stuff on there not scare them away? Also nobody said anything when Steve was putting multiple sale threads on there constantly!

herc

Fees I am referring to wouldn't amount to much, and would not be a per sale fee. Simply put a once a year sellers fee. I am not talking a lot of money either $10-20 per year simply enough to cover time and money spent on moderation and the rest gets donated to charity.

Yes it would only be $20 to start, then a year later, hmmm $30, then $50 etc then lets have a 10% premium on all sales etc. It might be good for the people who do sell a lot on there, but I would rather have newbies come on there and sell their stuff as well as the gang, as long as they are not trying to rip anyone off!

;)

Im with you on this 110% Andy. I gained interest in slabs becuase of this place. (thumbs u

I was referring to the selling forum specifically, not the forum overall. Andy's quote snipped the qualifier to my statement:

Now if you still want to think that mass numbers of people are just learning about slabs and using CGC's services solely due to the selling forum, you have every right to do so. And I happen to think you are mistaken.

What headaches? A couple bucks a month in bandwidth? We basically moderate the selling forum ourselves. I just don't see the huge problems involved for CGC. In fact, I doubt if anyone at the company spends more than a couple of hours a week on it.

What headaches? A couple bucks a month in bandwidth? We basically moderate the selling forum outselves. I fail the see the huge problems involved for CGC. In fact, I doubt if anyone at the company spends more than a couple hours of week on it.

Constant carping, people seeking to reorganize forum, appointment of a screening tribunal... and there will certainly be a lawsuit or threat of a lawsuit eventually when someone gets stiffed on a high dollar book purchased in a CGC selling forum. The argument will be is that the buyer had a reasonable expectation that CGC was screening or de facto endorsing the sellers who sold in their forum.

Seems like headaches to me. (shrug)

What headaches? A couple bucks a month in bandwidth? We basically moderate the selling forum outselves. I fail the see the huge problems involved for CGC. In fact, I doubt if anyone at the company spends more than a couple hours of week on it.

(thumbs u

The headache of writing code to default all members to 'no thread starting rights in the Marketplace' is surely going to take a seven person team (just for you, Sha :foryou: ) a good four, maybe five, months?

meh

Get this set up, have Board-driven moderation, and the Mods work will be insignificant.

Constant carping, people seeking to reorganize forum, appointment of a screening tribunal... and there will certainly be a lawsuit or threat of a lawsuit eventually when someone gets stiffed on a high dollar book purchased in a CGC selling forum. The argument will be is that the buyer had a reasonable expectation that CGC was screening or de facto endorsing the sellers who sold in their forum.

All it would take would be a simple caveat emptor statement...seems to work exceedingly well for eBay. meh

So...no headache there, either. (thumbs u

So a mod who has to go through a couple of complaints and subsequently ignore them. That's an hour a week tops.

You speak way too lightly of lawsuits. Trust me, it's FAR from a "certainty".

If the cons outweighed the pros to the degree you claim, the marketplace would be shut down. It hasn't been. That should tell you something.

Yes it would only be $20 to start, then a year later, hmmm $30, then $50 etc then lets have a 10% premium on all sales etc. It might be good for the people who do sell a lot on there, but I would rather have newbies come on there and sell their stuff as well as the gang, as long as they are not trying to rip anyone off!

;)

And that's where we differ. Which part of 'this is a community' is difficult to understand?

If you want to take no part in that community, go sell your sh!te on eBay or Craig's List and pay the appropriate fees. (thumbs u

You people are just a bunch of whiny nerds.

Case closed!

I agree. I wouldn't have used the exact wording, but there is nothing wrong with the fs boards.

Dan

Yup. I'm continually amazed at the number of people who find the simple acts of scrolling and reading to be such a chore.

I'll start.

ASM 62 CGC 8.5 W

GPA 12 Month Avg $74

Board Special $169 (FREE SHIPPING :o )

Get it now before I list it on ebay for less

th_ASM062_85_W1.jpg

Do you have a back scan (shrug) and is Hulk in that issue?? Oh do I PM you or just give out the lowball offer now :applause: