• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ROM: Greatest of the Spaceknights!

49 posts in this topic

Sweet commercial -- I'd never seen that one before! (thumbs u Too bad the toy was likely just :P ... (his legs didn't even move)

Rom was the very 1st #1 issue that I got off the newsstands as a youngin'! :cloud9:

I never knew about the '94 appearance either, wierd. :/

Yeah, it was a pretty graphic comic. Brain sucking and all.

:sick:

I vividly remember that panel (pictured earlier) from issue #1 where Rom blasts those two Wraiths, that visual really stuck w/ me as an impressionable 5yr old. :eek:lol

Hey, that's a great new avatar there, Jeffro! :golfclap:

... good times!

Rom #47 is the only comic I remember reading or owning as a child. The killer Sienkewicz cover, and the BRUTAL story within made quite an impression on me.

I didn't even consciously know that comics were in existence; they just weren't in my sphere of experience.

Then, in the summer between my junior and senior year, I saw Batman, then discovered comics in a used bookstore in Ukiah, CA...and by the next spring, I was hooked for the rest of my adult life.

Rom was, of course, one of the first sets I collected. After finally getting the whole run, I sat down and read it. #1-46 were good, don't get me wrong. But the introduction of the female dire wraith braindriller/suckers....wow. Unbelievable. WAY better than the super lame male wraiths. Mantlo had finally hit his stride, and for the next 18 or so issues, the series was firing on all cylinders.

How I wish I could have read those books as they were coming out.

Anyhoo...if you've never tried the series, it really is top notch. One of the top 10 series Marvel was producing in the 1980's.

Rom-47.jpg

I mean, come on...how could you NOT love that cover...?