• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do people De-Slab???

108 posts in this topic

A gift grade LOWER than the actual book's condition? That's a gift only worthy of re-gifting.

lol

-slym

No.. You just assume your books are HG :baiting:

Always! Didn't you the 9.6/9.8 GSXM I posted over in the "grade my book" thread? 5.5s and lower, HAH!

:roflmao:

-slym

Finally figured out I was bustin yer ballz :baiting:

The 7 year expiration date urban legend/myth has been around for a while and just won't die. :frustrated:

It won't die because Gemma and Harshen recommended that everyone do it:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=25&Number=36825&Searchpage=2&Main=2082&Words=re-encapsulated+about+every+7+years&topic=0&Search=true#Post36825

That statement is 7 years old and the stance has softened since.

It's a recommendation... not a warning of dire things to happen if you don't swap out every 7 years. As stated previously, after 7 years it's no worse off than a book that has been stored without MC paper.

So no spontaneous combustion?

Spontaneous combustion happens in year 8. Gemma and Harshen said so.

wasn't it posted that CGC only tested the MC paper up to 7 years and they don't really know how long it remains effective? I would think if the books are stored properly the mc paper could remain effective long past the 7 year boundary depending on the level of degradation at the time the books were encapsulated.

The 7 year expiration date urban legend/myth has been around for a while and just won't die. :frustrated:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=25&Number=36825&Searchpage=2&Main=2082&Words=re-encapsulated+about+every+7+years&topic=0&Search=true#Post36825

It's a recommendation... not a warning of dire things to happen if you don't swap out every 7 years. As stated previously, after 7 years it's no worse off than a book that has been stored without MC paper.

wasn't it posted that CGC only tested the MC paper up to 7 years and they don't really know how long it remains effective? I would think if the books are stored properly the mc paper could remain effective long past the 7 year boundary depending on the level of degradation at the time the books were encapsulated.

So next to the furnace is good or bad.

:hi:

So next to the furnace is good or bad.

bad. inside the furnace even worse.

wasn't it posted that CGC only tested the MC paper up to 7 years and they don't really know how long it remains effective?

Correct. I recall reading a paper conservator article that indicated MC may last much longer than 7 years.

I would think if the books are stored properly the mc paper could remain effective long past the 7 year boundary depending on the level of degradation at the time the books were encapsulated.

I suspect you are right. A book in a better state of preservation most likely has much less offgassing for the MCP to neutralize. Thus, the MCP would be remain effective longer.

Also, bear in mind, even "spent" MCP still provides a physical barrier between the cover and interior pages. So, it should still provide some level of protection against transfer stain. hm

Simple, it ensures the grade. Many many collectors do not slab but, buying slabbed books ensures that the book they are purchasing IS the grade that was advertized. The slab only assures the collector/buyer that their 9.0 or 9.2 is in fact what they are buying. Think about how many NM are advertized and how many in fact are. Wasn't this issue just discussed? Even with PGX, one is are more likely to find it closer to the condition that is said on the description of the comic. The only way I cannot see it ,make sence, is if the book is SS, that, now that...that is just plain crazy...

I deslab SS books to get more signatures. But then again I am a witness. Plus I am a little crazy. The only reason I would deslab a book is for SS or a regrade. Other than that there is no reason.

Repatra?

Oh, do you mean reparteé? (And that's stretching the usage of the word.) Why not just say vocabulary? It's a clearer meaning, and it's not French...

-slym (doesn't like the French)

Just trying to use a new big word .... , doesn't really make me a bad guy ...... :whistle:

Leave slabbed books in the holder for 15 years and get back to me. Every 7 years the book hs to be reholdered anyways.

Yep... I have many books that I don't plan on selling in the next 20 years... During that time, there's no way I'm going to send them to CGC to change the micro-chamber paper 3 times (risking damage in transit + shipping + the fee itself). It's cheaper for me to de-slab and change the paper myself.

(thumbs u

I like slabbed books. But if they will be a maintsay in your collection, better crack them bad boys. Or suffer the consequences.

What consequences? Edgar Church's books didn't have micro-chamber papers inserted. I'd argue that the slabs themselves plus a (albeit short term) micro-chamber paper already will serve the book better long term, especially if you have to change residences. The plastic is sturdier than mylar.

Like Zipper68 said, this 7 year reholder thing is not a factual thing. CGC just says you should, so that they can get us to resubmit and pay them more money (I already give them money in the first place. :P ) The micro-chamber paper will eventually become ineffective, but it's not going to harm the interiors by just being there either.

Repatra?

Oh, do you mean ? (And that's stretching the usage of the word.) Why not just say vocabulary? It's a clearer meaning, and it's not French...

-slym (doesn't like the French)

Repertoire (collection or body of works/skills/etc) not reparteé (witty remark or discourse). You had the right idea Hooks, just not the spelling. But it's all good! (thumbs u