• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mylar - Flapped or Open-Ended ?

64 posts in this topic

Flaps with flaps tucked - no airtight seal.

I've seen more damage to the back of books because people tuck the flaps into the protective sleeve, and pressure over time leaves an imprint. Just be careful of that with your prized books.

I've seen more damage to the back of books because people tuck the flaps into the protective sleeve, and pressure over time leaves an imprint. Just be careful of that with your prized books.

0_edinburgh_transport_steam_roller_1960s.jpg:gossip:

Looks like Darth Vader's helmet on the front of that thing.

Looks like Darth Vader's helmet on the front of that thing.

I heard Vader pressed comics and didn't disclose it. :gossip:

(shrug) The book is in the bag, lying on a board. The flap is tucked in behind the board. The flap doesn't touch the book, just the back side of the board. How does that create pressure or leave an imprint?

(shrug) The book is in the bag, lying on a board. The flap is tucked in behind the board. The flap doesn't touch the book, just the back side of the board. How does that create pressure or leave an imprint?

You and I would put a board in with the comic as added protection. Many assume because it is "hard plastic" they can cheap out and skip the boards.

Next question?

Wouldn't one have to melt the "open" edges into a seam to make a Mylite/regular Mylar (or even a polybag) air-tight???

-slym

I was also wondering how someone could make a mylar airtight without a butt-load of tape or heat sealing

I use flapped and tuck the flap behind the board. It pains me to see long stored books without backing boards and then to see the flaps tucked in against the books, damn that'd hurt to see

I'm with you there. I had a seller on Comic Collector Live send me photos of a book that has a dark front and back cover. Though they were a little blurry, the book looked solid.

When I received it, the front cover was NM+, no questions asked. Then I turned it around and discovered someone had just tucked the flap into the casing without a board, and must have jammed books so tight, over time, it left a deep impression into the back cover. So a book that was at least a 9.6 now drops down to a 9.2 because the flap dug in enough it left an impression across the top that broke color. Real shame!

I've started using both. But I prefer open ended Archives.

I just don't go around dropping them all over the place.

But if people want to drop books then that's their business. I don't judge. :devil:

The closed end (flap) Mylars are WAAAAAAYYYYYYYY more dangerous to comic books on average, WAY more! The simple task of removing the comic from the Mylar becomes an endeavor once you decide to use closed end Mylars. The caution, and effort NEEDED to remove and re-insert the book into these Mylars is extreme compared to the open top Mylars. You often have to slightly bend, tweak, and shimmy, the book around in order to complete these tasks, just ridiculous.

Sure, you can buy Golden Age 'flap' Mylars, bag the book, and insert it into the larger Mylar, but personally, I think Silver age, or Bronze age books look horrible in that type of package. There is far too much room in the mylar for the product, the book visually seems out of place, and will still have the potential to move around and fall out.

I ABHOR the FLAP Mylars, have seen, and experienced disasters, with these Mylars, and in no way shape or form, would I EVER put my books in them again.

My books in their 4 mil Mylars sit in covered boxes, in a temperature controlled room, in utter pitch. This preservation design is more than capable of keeping my books boootiful for a LONG, LONG, time.

You and I would put a board in with the comic as added protection. Many assume because it is "hard plastic" they can cheap out and skip the boards.

Next question?

I don't doubt your experience, but it has been mine that I've never seen a book in a mylar without a board. If a dealer or seller knows the book is important enough for a mylar, they know its important enough for a board as well. I've seen plenty of books in polybags sans boards, but never a mylar.

The closed end (flap) Mylars are WAAAAAAYYYYYYYY more dangerous to comic books on average, WAY more! The simple task of removing the comic from the Mylar becomes an endeavor once you decide to use closed end Mylars. The caution, and effort NEEDED to remove and re-insert the book into these Mylars is extreme compared to the open top Mylars. You often have to slightly bend, tweak, and shimmy, the book around in order to complete these tasks, just ridiculous.

Sure, you can buy Golden Age 'flap' Mylars, bag the book, and insert it into the larger Mylar, but personally, I think Silver age, or Bronze age books look horrible in that type of package. There is far too much room in the mylar for the product, the book visually seems out of place, and will still have the potential to move around and fall out.

I ABHOR the FLAP Mylars, have seen, and experienced disasters, with these Mylars, and in no way shape or form, would I EVER put my books in them again.

My books in their 4 mil Mylars sit in covered boxes, in a temperature controlled room, in utter pitch. This preservation design is more than capable of keeping my books boootiful for a LONG, LONG, time.

Your right here, those flapped Mylars are like putting your comic into surgery, putting them in and out. I had to cut out every book I had in them for fear of damaging the book when removing them. I did however find a very nice subsitute for awhile. Jef Hinds comics in Wisconsin was selling his own brand of 4 mil mylars but they were different from the ones with the big flap. These were a little taller that the standard flapped ones and the great thing about them was the flap on these was only about 3\8" of an inch. When you inserted the book it was past the flap so there was no danger of damaging the book. I have alot of my books in these and they worked great. Now the problem, I dont see them listed on his site anymore. I havent called them in awhile, so I dont know if there still available. I also use the open top mylars with the book in a mylite put inside.

DRX

Just to follow up. I just sent Jef Hinds an e-mail to see if these Mylars with the short flap are still available. I just checked and I do have some of these left. If a few of you guys would like to try these, drop me a P.M. and Ill dump a few in the mail for you. The only problem with them is that they are taller than a regular 4 Mil Mylar to allow for the book to go in past the flap. They will not fit in a regular comic box. I use all magazing boxes with spacers on the sides so its not a problem for me. Just passing somemore info.

DRX