• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anybody know how much you spend on comics?

53 posts in this topic

My wife know how much I spend roughly every month. I have cut back a lot in the last year or so. But I think my buying will increase a bit since she is getting more and more into comics, but think that increase will be in trades more at first.

Since completing my run on ASM, I'm down to about $20/month, so it's no big deal to anyone.

I guess I've felt guilty about throwing a lot into the hobby. I would say the converse is more true. My wife know about how much I made off the few things I've sold.

My wife knows.

I don't make a purchase over 100$ without discussing it with her.

Also I show her most of what I buy. Don't have many comic friends around here so she's the victim of my 'look what I just got!' moments. But she's brave about it and does a convincing job of acting impressed.

In-laws have a general idea as they've bought me comics in the past so they know the prices that SA JLA and GL can fetch.

The wife has a pretty good idea of what gets spent for comics since she's the financial wizard of the couple. The bigger question is, do I want to know how much she's spent on shoes recently?

The wife has a pretty good idea of what gets spent for comics since she's the financial wizard of the couple. The bigger question is, do I want to know how much she's spent on shoes recently?

At least 1.5x what you spend on comics.

I haven't spent much on comics over the past year, but my I have put a lot into my record collection (primarily 1960s Japanese records). I could end up being single for a very long time since I don't know how much I want to modify this habit :)

I'm spending a reliable $100-200 a month now, but it's mostly discounted moderns, so my wife's biggest issue is the quantity. I'm filling up a short box every 2-3 months, and they're starting to take up some space.

When people think I spend too much on comics, I just point out common habits that are even more expensive, like an extra car or motorcycle for the sole purpose of 'joy-riding'. How about being an avid sports fan? Between tickets, food, drinks, parking, etc, I can easily spend more taking my wife to a ball game in the course of 4 hours than 1 month of buying comics.

I don't even tell my Avengers buddies how much I spend. I just set up an amount for the year and buy till its gone. When its gone, I just put some more in... The collection is still worth more than I paid which is way the hell better than my investments. Don't know how anyone could complain.

I spend about $500 to $1000 a month and every few weeks my wife will ask about the Pay Pal and visa bill.

She gets more upset if I spend more time on the computer than with her and our son.

She has even threatened to make the computer disappear. :o

My girlfriend and most of my relatives know that I actively buy and sell, but only a couple of them know the extent of the money that changes hands. Most people would think I was nuts if they knew what I spent per month on comics. Last month's tally was about 5k. :(