• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To anyone who bought ASM 121 & 122 off the stands...

77 posts in this topic

How cool was it reading these two issues when they were released? Was it a big deal when you found out Gwen died? When you picked up 121 who did you think it was going to be after looking at the cover.

There aren’t many surprises with today’s comics. Pretty much everything’s been done, plus you can sometimes find out what’s going to happen online before they are even printed.

Were there any other issues that really shocked you when you were growing up?

I had no idea who would be killed in ish 121 - suspected the most minor of the characters depicted on the cover, Robbie Robertson's son. The story was truly shocking, but having been through the "imaginary story" shenanigans of the Distinguished Competition, it took ish 122 to bring it home.

Still hate Gerry Conway as a writer for doing it (along with penning his other drek, of course), and now mark it as the beginning of the end for charm and innocence in comics.

I was pretty pissed off when they killed Gwen (I wasn't much of a happy camper when they killed her father in #90). I stopped collecting comics at that point. :mad: I don't think I was alone in my response.

It was very cool reading those issues when they came out, in a shocking way. Many of us were in love with Gwen, well as much as you can be with a comic character. It was hard to believe. I thought it would be Harry or Robbie, not Gwen. When the Goblin died by his own hand in the next issue, it continued the high drama that made Spider-Man; AF #15, ASM #’s 18,33,50,52 and 90 come to mind. A lot of guys like rodan57 were pretty upset with it. Marvel should have never brought back Norman, or the Gwen clone, for that matter. Avengers #15 with the death of Zemo was shocking to me as Zemo was a major Avenger villain at the time.

Nice topic by the way.

Oh, the recent retconning of Gwen drove me away from Spider-Man after 40 years of faithful reading and buying.

I still remember being shocked when I read 122. Very emotional comic for me.

I thought it would be nobody but if they were serious, then I thought it would be Harry because of the drugs. But, Gwen? No way.

Those two books were grail books for me when I started collecting (instead of ust reading) comics. They still rank with Amazing Adventures 11 as my three favorite comics.

Were there any other issues that really shocked you when you were growing up?

The New Teen Titans #34 circa 1982/3?... when we learn that Terra/Tara Markov is a traitor, planted by the Terminator to learn their secrets.

I can remember reading to the end of the comic in absolute shock, as she was one of my favorite characters, and then waiting day after day for #35 to show up (which didn't resolve it anyway, as they teased the storyline out for another year or so).

I was absolutely floored as a teenager. Not her she was one of my favorites my younger brother was a bigger fan and he was crushed at the time. Ah the teenage years.

Something I did not know. Jean Grey actually comitted suicide?

Yep. On the moon. Cyclops was hugging her and she was reverting to Dark Phoenix. She realized this and used her powers to cause a laser cannon to shoot her.

I missed 121 and 122 on the stands. The first ASM I bought off the stands was 124.

Holy cr@p. Think i'll have to hunt a copy down.

the-25-greatest-moments-in-x-men-history-20060526080913806-000.jpg

Man, but has she returned at all?

I know when I was reading the monthly title of UXM, she was dead, and I think it was her daughter? As the new grey.

Anybody care to scan the letter I think in X-men 140 I think from the kid just being extremely upset about them killing Jean? I dont remember what issue had it, but I thinks its like 140 or 141.

Although it doesn't register today, one character death I still remember is when Byrne killed off James Hudson/Guardian in Alpha Flight, especially the fall-out and tease about him coming back.

He was one of my fave characters from X-Men 109, 121-122, and I was pretty ticked they aced him.

Although it doesn't register today, one character death I still remember is when Byrne killed off James Hudson/Guardian in Alpha Flight, especially the fall-out and tease about him coming back.

He was one of my fave characters from X-Men 109, 121-122, and I was pretty ticked they aced him.

I remember the 'return'..... thinking 'here we go again....another supposed death invalidated in the space of 12 issues!'.

When I read Ultimate Spider-man and they started "retelling" the Gwen death scenerio (but with MJ in her place) it was all very emotional because knowing what happened to Gwen in the original title and the way it was set-up in Ultimate really had me relieved when MJ ended up not dying.

Speaking of Gwen's death... Spider-man Blue had me teary-eyed too. :blush:

Man I remember that. He burned up on the last panel it was pretty shocking. Loved the Alpha Flight run by Byrne.

Speaking of touching panels.

A few years back FF 60 the 9 cent issue had a great panel at the end.

Reed was talking to his kid at the time and he explained that years ago he had made a horrible mistake. By trying to make the FF celebrities and explorers he had hoped to make up for the error. If I still have that panel scanned somewhere all post it. Best FF panel in years.

I was actually a little disappointed at that time as I loved reading the crossover battle issues with the Hulk.

Yeah it's strange how they went from the Hulk battles straight into Gwen buying it.

But man for about 6 months or so, from issue 119 to 129 ASM collectors must have been pretty happy.

It had the exact opposite affect on me.I was absolutely BUMMED. In fact ,ASM 129 was the last issue that I bought off the rack for many years.The Bronze age Marvel approach was too dark and melodramatic for me....I liked the lighter heated tongue in cheek SA stuff.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u