• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To anyone who bought ASM 121 & 122 off the stands...

77 posts in this topic

How cool was it reading these two issues when they were released? Was it a big deal when you found out Gwen died? When you picked up 121 who did you think it was going to be after looking at the cover.

There aren’t many surprises with today’s comics. Pretty much everything’s been done, plus you can sometimes find out what’s going to happen online before they are even printed.

Were there any other issues that really shocked you when you were growing up?

How cool was it reading these two issues when they were released? Was it a big deal when you found out Gwen died? When you picked up 121 who did you think it was going to be after looking at the cover.

There aren’t many surprises with today’s comics. Pretty much everything’s been done, plus you can sometimes find out what’s going to happen online before they are even printed.

How about a SPOILER ALERT on this thread??

doh!doh!doh!

doh!doh!doh!

:signfunny:

Something I did not know. Jean Grey actually comitted suicide?

Yep. On the moon. Cyclops was hugging her and she was reverting to Dark Phoenix. She realized this and used her powers to cause a laser cannon to shoot her.

I missed 121 and 122 on the stands. The first ASM I bought off the stands was 124.

doh!doh!doh!

:D :D :D

Yep. On the moon. Cyclops was hugging her and she was reverting to Dark Phoenix. She realized this and used her powers to cause a laser cannon to shoot her.

I missed 121 and 122 on the stands. The first ASM I bought off the stands was 124.

Holy cr@p. Think i'll have to hunt a copy down.

How many times since then they brought her back?

The New Teen Titans #34 circa 1982/3?... when we learn that Terra/Tara Markov is a traitor, planted by the Terminator to learn their secrets.

I can remember reading to the end of the comic in absolute shock, as she was one of my favorite characters, and then waiting day after day for #35 to show up (which didn't resolve it anyway, as they teased the storyline out for another year or so).

DD 181 not only shocked me but it is also one of the best books written during the 1980's -- which was a pretty decent decade for comics stories.

Over the holidays I reread the Miller DD run in the Omnibus format. 181 is so good that, in some ways, it is the only good book of the run.

the-25-greatest-moments-in-x-men-history-20060526080913806-000.jpg

I was actually a little disappointed at that time as I loved reading the crossover battle issues with the Hulk.

Yeah it's strange how they went from the Hulk battles straight into Gwen buying it.

But man for about 6 months or so, from issue 119 to 129 ASM collectors must have been pretty happy.

Silvers, you have to read the Dark Phoenix saga. It's just incredible stuff.

the-25-greatest-moments-in-x-men-history-20060526080913806-000.jpg

Man, but has she returned at all?

I know when I was reading the monthly title of UXM, she was dead, and I think it was her daughter? As the new grey.

DD 181 not only shocked me but it is also one of the best books written during the 1980's -- which was a pretty decent decade for comics stories.

Over the holidays I reread the Miller DD run in the Omnibus format. 181 is so good that, in some ways, it is the only good book of the run.

I agree. I can read that run over and over and #181 is a masterpiece of story telling. Right up to #191, it's just deliciously good.

R.

Silvers, you have to read the Dark Phoenix saga. It's just incredible stuff.

Issues? hm