• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To anyone who bought ASM 121 & 122 off the stands...

77 posts in this topic

I was actually a little disappointed at that time as I loved reading the crossover battle issues with the Hulk.

Yeah it's strange how they went from the Hulk battles straight into Gwen buying it.

But man for about 6 months or so, from issue 119 to 129 ASM collectors must have been pretty happy.

Great point: 119-120 Hulk, 121-122 Nuff said, 123 Luke Cage 124 1st Man-Wolf :cloud9:

Something I did not know. Jean Grey actually comitted suicide?

Yep. On the moon. Cyclops was hugging her and she was reverting to Dark Phoenix. She realized this and used her powers to cause a laser cannon to shoot her.

I missed 121 and 122 on the stands. The first ASM I bought off the stands was 124.

Holy cr@p. Think i'll have to hunt a copy down.

How many times since then they brought her back?

Silvers, you have to read the Dark Phoenix saga. It's just incredible stuff.

Issues? hm

X-men in the #130's...roughly #130-138 where it ends with a funeral. Incredible stuff.

I was actually a little disappointed at that time as I loved reading the crossover battle issues with the Hulk.

Yeah it's strange how they went from the Hulk battles straight into Gwen buying it.

But man for about 6 months or so, from issue 119 to 129 ASM collectors must have been pretty happy.

Great point: 119-120 Hulk, 121-122 Nuff said, 123 Luke Cage 124 1st Man-Wolf :cloud9:

They were on a roll, from Morbius to the Goblin to all the new villians (Kangaroo anyone) to Punisher to the Jackel. It was an incredible 2-3 year period.

Something I did not know. Jean Grey actually comitted suicide?

Yep. On the moon. Cyclops was hugging her and she was reverting to Dark Phoenix. She realized this and used her powers to cause a laser cannon to shoot her.

I missed 121 and 122 on the stands. The first ASM I bought off the stands was 124.

Holy cr@p. Think i'll have to hunt a copy down.

the-25-greatest-moments-in-x-men-history-20060526080913806-000.jpg

With all those words, I'm surprised John Byrne had any space in which to put the pictures.

I remember being surprised, but not shocked, at how brutal the scene in Watchmen was where Rorschach breaks the guy's fingers in the bar. Now, it's mundane funny book stuff, but in 1986, it was not the type of thing you usually saw.

hm

Guess i'll have to give it a read.

Still not into comics.

Although I did pull out a bunch to go through.

Ended up reading some GA books (Uncle Scrooge, thanks Worldsbestcomics!)

That just made my head hurt.

hm

Still not into comics.

Which part?

Not making sense, or the fact I said I am "still not into comics"?

P.S. I usually have this type of effect on people. So it's perfectly normal..

hm

Still not into comics.

Which part?

I'm sure you've answered this question a million times before, but I'll ask anyway: Why are you posting on so specialized a comic book message board if you're not into comics?

hm

Still not into comics.

Which part?

I'm sure you've answered this question a million times before, but I'll ask anyway: Why are you posting on so specialized a comic book message board if you're not into comics?

It's actually the first, if not the second!

I use to be into comics.

Over the last 4-6 months I just stopped buying them. I stopped reading them (As I was Playing WOW hardcore..) then I just stopped buying them.

But trust me, I was hardcore into it for the first few years here. (thumbs u

hm

Still not into comics.

Which part?

I use to be into comics.

Over the last 4-6 months I just stopped buying them. I stopped reading them (As I was Playing WOW hardcore..) then I just stopped buying them.

But these books came out 30 years ago... (shrug)

How cool was it reading these two issues when they were released? Was it a big deal when you found out Gwen died? When you picked up 121 who did you think it was going to be after looking at the cover.

There aren’t many surprises with today’s comics. Pretty much everything’s been done, plus you can sometimes find out what’s going to happen online before they are even printed.

Were there any other issues that really shocked you when you were growing up?

I had no idea who would be killed in ish 121 - suspected the most minor of the characters depicted on the cover, Robbie Robertson's son. The story was truly shocking, but having been through the "imaginary story" shenanigans of the Distinguished Competition, it took ish 122 to bring it home.

Still hate Gerry Conway as a writer for doing it (along with penning his other drek, of course), and now mark it as the beginning of the end for charm and innocence in comics.

hm

Still not into comics.

Which part?

I use to be into comics.

But these books came out 30 years ago... (shrug)

I know..doesn't mean I read, or collected them.

I am mainly a Spider-Man fan. So I kinda kept with that, focusing on that instead.

Every once in a blue moon I bought anything other then spider-man. (besides for monthly comics.)

I do have a nice collection of x-men.

I didn't buy Spidey #121/122 off the stands but I was an avid X-Men reader during the John Byrne run and I remember being very moved by Jean Grey's suicide (much more so than how it was handled in X-Men 3) and outright shocked by Elektra's death in Daredevil... you had never seen anything like that before and the panel of Bullseye holding her up on the lance has to be one of the most unforgetable in superhero comic history. I also found the death of Superman against Doomsday very moving... DC did a great job building up to that moment.

I can't belive that they have not done these issues (ASM 120s) in an omnibus. I would buy it.

I didn't collect comics until late 80's early 90's. I have never read ASM 121 or 122....yep you read that right. Thats a pretty bad statement for a ASM fan and collector haha. I never could afford to buy them as they are so expensive, one of these days I will buy it in a TP or HC (when Marvel makes one). I hate the Essential B/W books and would rather wait until they are reprinted in color.

How cool was it reading these two issues when they were released? Was it a big deal when you found out Gwen died? When you picked up 121 who did you think it was going to be after looking at the cover.

There aren’t many surprises with today’s comics. Pretty much everything’s been done, plus you can sometimes find out what’s going to happen online before they are even printed.

I had no idea who would be killed in ish 121 - suspected the most minor of the characters depicted on the cover, Robbie Robertson's son. The story was truly shocking, but having been through the "imaginary story" shenanigans of the Distinguished Competition, it took ish 122 to bring it home.

Still hate Gerry Conway as a writer for doing it (along with penning his other drek, of course), and now mark it as the beginning of the end for charm and innocence in comics.

(worship)

I too bought it from the stands (late 1973, still remember where) and I too wished a pox on Conway for his "drama".

Almost made me give up funnybooks, I was that angry. Felt then (and still do) that Conway had written himself into a corner with the romance angle and this was the easy way out - kill the significant other that was causing the "difficulties".

Still, now he's a hotshot TV writer producer, so what do I know? (shrug)

ASM 121 & 122 were mind shockers to me back then as a kid. I always thought the good people always lived. I really hated the Green Goblin after 121 and felt great after reading 122. I just love reading these two issues of ASM.

I was in my second year of college and was collecting Marvels since 61/62. The Green Goblin was my current favorite villian. The Spider-man story lines were excellent during 100-122 with Lee and Romita. Now what was really interesting was how marvel shocked the comic world with it. If I'm correct the last Green Goblin story in the Amazing Spider-man was the 96-98 drug arc. Then he also showed up in the original magazine book Spectacular Spider-man. So Norman Osborne showing up and killing Gwen was totally unexpected. Issues 116-118 were reprints from the black and white version of the Spectacular Spider-man book. Nothing new here. The 119 and 120 was the great Spider-man vs Hulk arc.

Conway was writing the books by now, and Romita and Kane were sharing the art chores.

There was only this brief warning at the end of 120

2lm3nuq.jpg

So you can see when 121 hit the stands I bought it, the cover was cool but I really did not know what was going to happen. When I got the the last page I was shocked. Comic characters never really die. Just look at Aunt Many, Prof X, and many others. This one ripped your heart out.

Here are some of the letters pages after it hit the fan.

zbqza.jpg

1zdvnf9.jpg

15gw1nt.jpg

Needless to say these are my favorite issues, and even if my original books needed to be upgraded I finally did manage to get 9.4 versions.

asm121a.jpg

asm122a.jpg

Nothing ever was the same after #121 the Bronze age was born.

WEBHEAD