• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3497 High grade bronze, Is this a deal??

18 posts in this topic

Just bought these books. Not sure if its a deal or not but I want loads of these for my personal collection anyway The rest I figure I can sell to finance my next purchase. I'm really into bronze right now!!

What does the board think. How is this dealer rated?

Just wondering. Its a done deal anyways...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=350180947034

Link brings up ebay.uk. You are having this lot shipped overseas? Neatstuff will blow your mind with shipping. I am curious what the freight total to your front door will end up being.

The deal itself looks good, assuming you were able to pick it up. Many $20 to $50 books in the photos.

I think you did OK as long as they are in VF or better condition.

The BA books happen to be my favorite. I am sure there will be a bunch of 50c and $1 bin books in there, but take your time and look for the cherries. If you find enough of them, your cherry pie will be awesome ;)

Honestly, I think you did pretty well with that. Sure, there's a huge stack of junk in there, but you paid 65 cents a book for the whole group, the junk probably moves fast at 50 cents a book because it's old. Am I reading the auction right that they'r eincluding 1800 drekky books too? Are you shipping this to the U.K.? Are you looking for someone to pick it up and ship the better stuff to you without the Neatstuff mark-up so that you're not paying 50 cents to ship a 50 cent comic? (I'm local to neatstuff) Won't you get mangled by customs on this?

Neatstuff usually has a bigger reserve vs. OPG. Seriously, that's what 15% of OPG, I think they could have done better just offering this to mile high chuck!

I don't know what your intention is, but you basically have a nice inventory there if you want to do shows or sell on ebay and still pick out your favorite couple of hundred books.

Looks above average for what they typically sell, the unlisted 1800 books will be from there warehouse stock of late Bronze high multiples of the same issue with most have some heavy damage. The shipping cost on what is pictured is a good deal, the other stuff they are throwing in for free may be too high to ship since you are overseas. Ask questions, especially ask if its multiple copies of the same book on the unlisted 1800 books. Ask how many of the same book, you don't want 100 copies of 18 different books.

Looks above average for what they typically sell,

thing is, i rarely see those auctions end with a "winner", they often have reserves that never get met, and certainly not at 15% of what they claim to be "guide"

admittedly, their notion of guide is probably way off, but it sure seemed like at well less than $1 a book there were a lot of $3-$20 books in there and a few three digit books (or close to). sure, that stack of micronauts is worthless as is a bunch of other stuff. and 1800 mid grade late bronze would be a nice toss in if the buyer was picking it up, even if its a lot of not that many issues.

shipping to the u.k. is going to be a big factor. this is a sweet deal for someone in driving distance.

Shipping was originally astronomical, almost as much as I paid for the comics themselves! We brought that price down though, way down. Its a little over $500 US dollars now. I thought that was resonable. Total with the shipping was somewhere in the region of $3200.00.

Shipping was originally astronomical, almost as much as I paid for the comics themselves! We brought that price down though, way down. Its a little over $500 US dollars now. I thought that was resonable. Total with the shipping was somewhere in the region of $3200.00.

How come they budged on the shipping?

Just bought these books. Not sure if its a deal or not but I want loads of these for my personal collection anyway The rest I figure I can sell to finance my next purchase. I'm really into bronze right now!!

What does the board think. How is this dealer rated?

Just wondering. Its a done deal anyways...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=350180947034

The photos obviously show many, many VG and Fine books. I'm sure the photographed all the keys, and many look to be low grade. The other books must be higher grade for it to average out as VF. Still at less than $1 per book, you will probably make out okay in the long run.

the x-men 94, spidey 122 and a bunch of other decent stuff seem to be better than VGs. VF is probably optimistic. but at less than a buck a book with shipping with enough quality material in there to offset the stack of micronauts, etc., i think you did alright. particularly if you're in the u.k. --- isn't the BA stuff a little less common and a little more expensive over there (and buying 1 or 2 comics via ebay kills you on shipping).

of course, if customs decided to hit you with a $5000 tab, then it's a problem!

Comics sell about the same here. Maybe a bit more demand for Cents copies from the 60's and seventies as they only sold pence copies here. I think enough have trickled through over the years that it is only a marginal increase. Less collectors though so it all evens out.

I didnt realize I could get charged customs here. Is this a fact?

I've bought stuff off comiclink and never got charged any...

the x-men 94, spidey 122 and a bunch of other decent stuff seem to be better than VGs. VF is probably optimistic. but at less than a buck a book with shipping with enough quality material in there to offset the stack of micronauts, etc., i think you did alright. particularly if you're in the u.k. --- isn't the BA stuff a little less common and a little more expensive over there (and buying 1 or 2 comics via ebay kills you on shipping).

of course, if customs decided to hit you with a $5000 tab, then it's a problem!

Comics sell about the same here. Maybe a bit more demand for Cents copies from the 60's and seventies as they only sold pence copies here. I think enough have trickled through over the years that it is only a marginal increase. Less collectors though so it all evens out.

I didnt realize I could get charged customs here. Is this a fact?

I've bought stuff off comiclink and never got charged any...

Couple of points, here...

Comics are classified as 'printed matter' within the UK and printed matter is zero rated for duty, either Import Tax or VAT. If you ever get charged either/both, dispute the payment and you will win. The best way to do this is to refuse to accept the parcel and get the carrier to send it to their Customs department for reassessment. As they are physically holding your goods, they will deal with it and you're not out of pocket. If you pay the duty, accept the parcel and then attempt to reclaim, you're in a world of hurt as they have the upper hand.

Regarding Bronze Age books in general in the UK, many of them were never imported, due to the UK reprints of the time. There were weekly comics packed with Spidey, FF, Avengers, etc., reprints and if the title was being reprinted at the time, the source material was not imported and became known as Not Distributed. Additionally, those that were imported and circulated during this time period were changed to pence copies and the Marvel banner was changed to 'Marvel All-Colour Comics', rather than 'Marvel Comics Group', to differentiate them from the black and white reprints.

Like flicking to the first page wouldn't help you to figure it out yourself. doh!

For a time, the non-distributed books commanded a decent premium in the UK, but these days there are no barriers to locating them and so price diferences are negligable. (thumbs u

For a time, the non-distributed books commanded a decent premium in the UK, but these days there are no barriers to locating them and so price diferences are negligable.

I just figured the cost of shipping them to the U.K. added to the cost over time and y'all probably have fewer massive warehouse hoards sitting around (even in proportion to the smaller % of collectors)

Actually, is it a smaller collecting base as a % of population? Granted, they may not all be interested in U.S. comics...even if half of them seem to be written by brits (and the other half drawn by canadians...)

It sure seems like more Canadians as a % of population are interested in comics...at least based on these boards active U.S. members don't seem to outnumber active canadian members 10:1.