• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I miss.......

26 posts in this topic

Going to the local corner market in my case Stop n Go or Step saver, and seeing what new comics came in, picking out what I wanted, and going to the counter and popping a few quarters down, riding the bike home to read the stories.

Anyone "Old" enough to remember the in my case late 70's and 80's buying comics from the corner stores?

Oh yes. Every monday I would ride my bike to the local Liquor store and throw down a few bucks for comics. I still remember flipping through Daredevil 158 and putting it back because I thought the art sucked......ahh the good old days.

"Hey kid this aint no library! buy something or get outta here!"

Our local 'paper shop used to sell comics years ago. I bought my Secret Wars, Punisher Limited Series and Killing Joke from there among others.

I miss that a lot, having an LCS like FP doesn't help matters either.

I usd to buy them at the drugstore or the grocery along with Mad Magazine, eventually I shunned thsoe outlets for a used bookstore that had a huge back issue section with all these cubby-holes filled with comics and then eventually a real comic shop.

Now when I see a comic in newstand or anywhere but a comic shop, I'm really glad because it means some kid might actually pick one up and get into the way we did back in the day.

Saw Batman comics at Hollywood Video's magazine spinner the other day

I usd to buy them at the drugstore or the grocery along with Mad Magazine, eventually I shunned thsoe outlets for a used bookstore that had a huge back issue section with all these cubby-holes filled with comics and then eventually a real comic shop.

Now when I see a comic in newstand or anywhere but a comic shop, I'm really glad because it means some kid might actually pick one up and get into the way we did back in the day.

Saw Batman comics at Hollywood Video's magazine spinner the other day

This is how I got into the hobby, off the rack while my mom pumped gas, I would go in and pay for her, then stop and buy a coke or something, but one day I saw this comic and picked it up instead, and the rest is history.

But yeah I later graduated to the LCS in the lat 80's 90's got out of hobby, jumped back in, and started to reminisce about the good ol days.

I had a paper route, and every now and then there was a good deal on 100 25c bin books (mind you, this was the bronze/silver stuff) at the kind of local CS. I recall stuffing both sides of the paper route bags on my bicycle handlebars and riding home about five miles through the worst storm in recent history. Telephone polls were down, lights were out.

Boy was it worth it.

And P.S. 7-11 was the days.

I remember going to the mom and pop store in fairbanks and purchasing books at numerous different times.....

jungle action 14, a 20 cent purple cover ghost issue with a monkey and skeleton, and warlock 9 by starlin. I also remember purchasing 1975 mini bb cards and other comics circa 1975 like spiderman 142 with the scorpion cover and 100 mvs galactus. Rexall was great.

Then I moved to anchorage and dutifully showed up at the hallmark store at the top of the hill, hand pickin books until 1985.

Off to college and mile high comics in Boulder Colorado on pearl street.

I wish I could still plunk down a quarter for a book like warlock 9.

I remember kajolling my dad int buying Secret Wars II for me at the corner Seven Eleven..we both read comics,and he got the whole series for us to share!

It was hard to ask him as I got older to "please dont wrap the covers around ,and if you want to read this book be VERY careful with it!" :cloud9:

Going to the local corner market in my case Stop n Go or Step saver, and seeing what new comics came in, picking out what I wanted, and going to the counter and popping a few quarters down, riding the bike home to read the stories.

Anyone "Old" enough to remember the in my case late 70's and 80's buying comics from the corner stores?

I was very lucky.There actually was a comic book store in my town.Seeing Conan 1,GL 76,and all the bronze keys at cover price.

They also had a great selection of back issues.Those indeed were the days.

I'm older then that so I remember doing it in the 60s and 70s. Going to the drug store buying books there. Then a corner grocery store where I would pizz them off when the new books came in. They would take their time doing other things and I needed my comics, so I would pull thenm through the metal wire ties to get at them.

Then later a store opened across from the grocery store that just sold magazines and yes comics! They would get ticked off if kids came in to read the comics, but they didn't mind if I looked through them because I was probably their biggest buyer.

Late 60's a store opened up in my downtown area and sold remanded comics and mags with the tops torn off. Comics were only 4 cents. To this day I still remember the stacks of Iron Man #1 (which I still have my copy) with the top torn off. No one really liked the book.