• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Pont Report - Boston Comic Con

83 posts in this topic

Not sure how far I can get into this before dad duty arises. I've been the family Man most of today.

Circumstances prevented me from attending any other shows since last fall, so I’d been looking forward to this one for some time and it did not disappoint.

I got up around 6:00 on Saturday and after coffee and a quick breakfast, left for the show several hours later. I parked about 50 feet from the door. A healthy line had already formed, so I went down the street for more coffee.

Line.jpg

When I got back, Bedrock Comics (Not Mr. Bedrock) was out front.

He was kind enough to give me the red carpet VIP treatment, and got me in just ahead of the line.

Bedrock.jpg

I stopped by GACollectibles both first as usual, said hello and dropped my coat. One of these days I’ll get a decent photo of him. Sorry, Andrew, but this is better than the other I took, believe me.

GACNotsobad.jpg

I like to make the rounds of the room before I dropping any dough, and found a fellow from NH who had set up and was selling off his SA Marvel collection. He pretty much had runs of everything. While mostly mid grade, the early books were quite sweet and some deals were to be had. Bechara Maalouf, Ted Van Liew and Saul Zimmerman descended like locusts shortly thereafter, and bodyslammed all competition to the mat.

Here’s some gratuitous shots of board members in attendance:

CKB, smiling as usual. He always seems to do well at this show.

CKB.jpg

Not far away was SilverandBronze, sporting a variety of comics for sale as well as his usual table of Toon Tumblers.

silverbronze.jpg

Ted Van Liew

ted.jpg

The Superword Crew. I think that’s Gary Dolgoff in the rear on the left.

superworld.jpg

Lo and behold, its King of Rulers

KOR.jpg

Here’s another while he’s helping out Silver and Bronze.

KOR2.jpg

HotFlips was there, great guys. They don’t usually scowl this much though.

hotflips.jpg

It’s DNAgent, solo, without his lovely wife.

DNAgent.jpg

Speaking of lovely, why is this man smiling?

DickAyers.jpg

You’d smile too if your name was Dick Ayers, and you could attract honeys like this one.

DickAyersHubbaHubba.jpg

Not bad for a comic nerd.

More women

girls.jpg

I didn’t get as many costume shots as I could have. I was losing steam as the day wore on. I hadn’t planned to stay all day and expected to go home and comeback for dinner, but between chatting with all my board pals and looking at books, the next thing I knew it was late and almost time for dinner.

I did manage to snap one of Paul Gulacy

Gulacy.jpg

Lo and behold, it’s Mutant Keys, and an unnamed Greek not fond of the camera.

NikDanny.jpg

Here’s Patrick of Comically Speaking. He’s not a board member, but he’s a good guy. He had large runs of FFs and Avengers he’d recently acquired for sale.

patrick.jpg

This is LarrysComics. He runs a great local show in Westford, formerly in Chelmsford. I got a sweet Cap 100 from Nik via Larry.

larry.jpg

After the show, Nik, Mutant Keys, King of Rulers, HotFlips, CKB, Silver and Bronze, the Superworld Crew and Dave Hartwell went out for dinner and drinks. Dave Hartwell isn’t on the boards, but he’s another good guy with some nice books and other miscellaneous items. I didn’t get any dinner shots, but some of the other folks did.

Surprisingly, Nik was the Greggy of the lot, dumping his beer on the table about halfway through the meal.

The dinner, even if small, is always at least as good as the show itself. There's nothing like actually talking to people; there's a world of difference between doing it in person and being here on the interwebs. Mutant Keys and King of Rulers - it was great to finally meet you guys! Hopefully one of these days I'll make it to one of the big shows.

I especially enjoyed going out because I haven’t been out for drinks and dinner in months, probably some time last year! The only downside about the dinner was our seating. It was difficult to integrate everybody.

By the time I got home, I felt like this guy

Miguelasleep.jpg

The Boston show isn’t yet as big as someplace like Chicago, but it’s always a great time to meet up with people, and there’s always more books than I can afford. I’ll try and post some of my stash next.

From GACollectibles, I picked up a handle of high grade Copper like this one:

FF244.jpg

Nik balked when he saw my ASM with the photo cover (of course, it does suck) but since the comment came from someone with some turdular moderns in his bag, it rolled right off my shoulder.

Andrew was also blowing out Bronze in his $2 box, like this one

HeroHire.jpg

I picked up this nice Kid Colt from local guy Ron Johnson. Ron was been selling comics ever since I started going to shows 22 years ago. In fact, I still have books I bought from him back then! Before the internet, he was about my only source for pre-hero Marvels. (I never did mail order, never liked the idea of buying sight unseen.) He's not a high grade dealer, but he loves comics and always has something good.

KidColt112.jpg

I had Dick Ayers sign a few books, like this one. Before I knew Mutant Keys was there. :pullhair:

TwuGunKid83.jpg

I'd spent most of my dough by the time I made it over to see him. I like to support artists of his generation, so I picked up a cool Ghost Rider bookmark to at least buy something.

GhostRiderBookmark.jpg

Picked this TOS up from CKB

TOS99.jpg

I'm fading out.

Not long ago I picked up a nice Tales of Asgard on the boards that came from Bob Storms. When I sat down to read it, I realized I'd probably mess up the spine, so I picked up this nice reader from Superworld

TOA1.jpg

I gotta wrap things up and hit the sack. I got other books but this was my prize catch, a beautiful Captain America 100. Sorry about leaving it in the bag, but time is of the essence.

Cap100.jpg

It’s DNAgent, solo, without his lovely wife.

DNAgent.jpg

Speaking of lovely, why is this man smiling?

DickAyers.jpg

You’d smile too if your name was Dick Ayers, and you could attract honeys like this one.

DickAyersHubbaHubba.jpg

Not bad for a comic nerd.

More women

girls.jpg

D Ick Ayers was there???????!!!!!!!???? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I have been waiting for months to get some books signed...noooooooooo!!!!!!