• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Possible Frazetta peice?

9 posts in this topic

Need some help on this one please. I know Frank Frazetta was one of the Artist helping draw Lil Abner from 1955 to 1962 This Sunday Piece was from 1955. I would like confirmation that this is indeed the work of Mr Frazetta. Upon my request the seller told me he Emailed Franks son who asked his Father if he could indeed take credit for this work. Frank said he could not 100% confirm it was his art, but indeed the style looked his and the characters hair was drawn as he would have drawn it. That was the best confirmation I could get. When I look at the art, in particular the Profile of the Character in the Strip Painting, as well as the features on Daisy May, this screams Frazetta! Does anyone know of a site I could search to find more information on specific dates of the LIL Abner Sunday Artists?

I went ahead and bought the Art, but I would love to know for sure wether Frank had a hand in this or not.

Thank you!

IMG00636.jpg

IMG00638.jpg

IMG00639.jpg

IMG00640.jpg

IMG00641.jpg

IMG00642.jpg

IMG00643.jpg

IMG00644.jpg

IMG00645.jpg

Looks like Frank to me (I have one of his Abner Sundays). One bit of confirmation might be to see if it is in one of the two Frazetta Abner books that somebody (Fantagraphics?) put out a few years back. You might also check with Tom Horowitz--he knows these pretty well.

Didn't artists usually sign their name or initials on the sunday comic strips? I see Al Capp on that piece, not sure if that's who drew it or wrote it though.

My Understanding is Al Capp signed every strip, wether he drew it or not.

Didn't artists usually sign their name or initials on the sunday comic strips? I see Al Capp on that piece, not sure if that's who drew it or wrote it though.

A regular Bob Kane eh.

That is true. He used many ghosts after the strip was established. I think he actually drew very little of it for the last 20 or so years it ran.

The inking and design of the hair and face of the witch looking woman very much look like Frazetta.

The inking and design of the hair and face of the witch looking woman very much look like Frazetta.

The new Frazetta coffee table book that reprints much of his comic book work has a good bio of the artist....as I recall, Frazetta was doing Sundays and enjoyed the fact that he could pull down more than enough for a week in a couple days work and had the rest of the week to play baseball.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I don't think Frazetta was allowed to sign them.