• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on this all select #1

86 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, Well guys I'm getting close to making a decision on my first golden age purchase (yeah i'm pumped, haha), but I need someone with some GA Timely knowledge to give an opinion. I am looking at a All Select #1 cgc 3.0 unrestored book from a local seller. The book has great eye appeal. the cover presents like a cgc 5.0 but it has the centerfold detached which is the reason it brings it down to a 3.0. He was asking $3,500 but will take $3,000. My question is this, are All Select #1 really bringing this high of a premium right now? a cgc 2.5 sold for $2,550. another cgc 3.0 (the one that looked fantastic from the front but had a long tear on back cover) sold for a whopping $5,676 (wow). I noticed a seller on these boards is asking $5,000 for his cgc 3.5. These prices make $3,000 seem pretty fair for the one i'm looking at but do you think the above prices are a fluke, or is the book "hot" right now?

The main reason I'm interested in this one is 1: All Select #1 is one of my favorite Timely books and 2: It has great eye appeal for the grade (the detached centerfold doesn't bother me as much as it might some). Keep in mind this is for a long term purchase, not a book i'm just trying to flip. That's why I don't mind paying a fair price as long as it's fair. What are your guys opinions on this. the seller will meet me in person for the sale. Alot of you know your stuff when it comes to Timely so I wanted to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion on whether it was a fair deal. Thanks everyone!

Ask yourself how much you would have to pay for a 5.0 or above if it was available, or how disappointed you would feel if this particular copy was purchased by someone else. If it's a book you really like, presents well for the assigned grade, and you feel the the price is fair, you are not likely to have buyer's remorse later. Good luck on your potential purchase.

I wish I could talk him down to $2,800. it was hard enough to get him down to 3k. not really sure what I would pay for a 5.0 though, unrestored all selects don't seem to come up at auction too often (from what i've seen). I'm leaning towards getting the book though. I liker the fact I can meet him in person for a purchase this expensive (well expensive for me, a 23 college student). I wanna get a couple nice Timely #1's over the next couple years and thought this one wouldn't be a bad start even though it's lower grade.

Well, I consider myself a top tier "All Select #1" fan as I've always said it's the BEST CAP cover ever (thumbs u Of course, Gator says All Select 2--which is so so close on my opinion :applause: It's my avitar of course and I have had a few copies of AS 1 in my time...is the copy you are looking at this one?

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dall%2Bselect%2Bcomics%26x%3D%26y%3D%26ItemType%3DCB&id=773344

All Select 1 was really really hot in the early-mid 1990s...I think it's cooled a bit since then, but I always considered it a 1.5x guide book. It's a great cover book (interior art not that great in my opinion) like Suspense 3 :) Not a super tough Timely #1 to get, but always in high demand...I had the privilege of looking at the Carson City copy of AS 1 a few days ago in hand and it was a true 9.6 smoker (thumbs u

Bob Storms sold a 5.0 copy at Wondercon for $5000 I think. I would say $3000 max on this copy...I would ask at least that much on my copy (which is a 4.0 raw WHITE pages).

Buy it (thumbs u

Well, I consider myself a top tier "All Select #1" fan as I've always said it's the BEST CAP cover ever (thumbs u Of course, Gator says All Select 2--which is so so close on my opinion :applause: It's my avitar of course and I have had a few copies of AS 1 in my time...is the copy you are looking at this one?

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dall%2Bselect%2Bcomics%26x%3D%26y%3D%26ItemType%3DCB&id=773344

All Select 1 was really really hot in the early-mid 1990s...I think it's cooled a bit since then, but I always considered it a 1.5x guide book. It's a great cover book (interior art not that great in my opinion) like Suspense 3 :) Not a super tough Timely #1 to get, but always in high demand...I had the privilege of looking at the Carson City copy of AS 1 a few days ago in hand and it was a true 9.6 smoker (thumbs u

Bob Storms sold a 5.0 copy at Wondercon for $5000 I think. I would say $3000 max on this copy...I would ask at least that much on my copy (which is a 4.0 raw WHITE pages).

Buy it (thumbs u

yeah that's it. how old is that listing? I will change my offer if he was willing to take $2,700.

I liker the fact I can meet him in person for a purchase this expensive (well expensive for me, a 23 college student). I wanna get a couple nice Timely #1's over the next couple years and thought this one wouldn't be a bad start even though it's lower grade.

I was 21 (and in college) when I bought my first copy of AS 1 in 1996 (thumbs u

Buy it (thumbs u

yeah that's it. how old is that listing? I will change my offer if he was willing to take $2,700.

It was posted in Dec 2008 on CLINK but it recently sold about 1-2 weeks ago...

Buy it (thumbs u

It was posted in Dec 2008 on CLINK but it recently sold about 1-2 weeks ago...

interesting...

Just curious but who has a 3.5 copy for sale? I'd like to see what it looks like. Defintely a favorite book of mine, killer cover. The detached centerfold copy is nice but personally I might wait for a complete copy instead unless I got it at a decent discount.

Just curious but who has a 3.5 copy for sale? I'd like to see what it looks like. Defintely a favorite book of mine, killer cover. The detached centerfold copy is nice but personally I might wait for a complete copy instead unless I got it at a decent discount.

You're the one that sold me that 1.5 copy :)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2805413&fpart=46

here's the link to the 3.5.

well I think $3,000 may be too much. I will counter offer and see what he says.

I think I will post a wanted ad on here for other Timely's (mainly sub mariner #1, human torch #2(1), and all select #1 and see what happens.

You're the one that sold me that 1.5 copy :)

(thumbs u

You can ask for a blue label. They just knock the grade down. Also, I don't believe CGC is noting "detached cover" on the label of books that grade out at under 6.0(that have a blue label).