• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Estate sale book find ! $18,000 ??

25 posts in this topic

Ok , thought I had finally found one of the semi-grails in the hard back book business. "Death of a Salesman"(Arther Miller). ... Any of you whom may have graduated from JR. High here may be familiar with this important novel . :/

Anyway , it met all the critical criteria ie , : 1st edition , 1949 , # sequences in order , dust jacket , binding , color , etc.

Anyway , going thru my notes , as I am yet just a novice in anything but funny books ( and that expertise could be argued , or totally refuted here. meh )

They cautioned to "beware" of the "book club editions" b/c they are virtually worthless .

Anyway , I'm sure you can guess the outcome !

:gossip:..thought all could use a good laugh .. :sorry:

You need quite a bit of knowledge to branch out into collecting literary 1st editions. e.g. the British 1st printing of Aldous Huxley's Brave New World is "worth" about $1k but you need to learn how to grade the dust jacket. Compared to the USA 1st edition hardcover valued at around $500. Book Club Edition print runs are huge so are not worth much at all though they make you look erudite sitting on your :blahblah: bookshelf.

Collecting books is a LOT tougher than collecting vintage comic books. So many variables: 1st state/2nd state, books without indicators of print run, weird codes to indicate edition, book club editions, etc.

"Death of a Salesman"(Arther Miller). ... Any of you whom may have graduated from JR. High here may be familiar with this important novel . \:\/

:gossip: It's a play, not a novel.

Whatever , .....and shut up Sean .......... :grin:

Speakin' of "estate sales".........

Went to the Post Office the other day and one of the employees tells me about some comics she saw at a local sale(These people know me too well lol ). She mentioned they seemed steep in price,I had no idea...

I arrive at the sale,which seems to be doing quite well,at least 25 cars blocking up everything lol . I quickly find my way to the comics and a nice gentlemen grabs up one of the books BY THE SPINE and commences to waving it around in my face,flip-flopping it around and showing me that each book has a price chart on the back and informing me that he had spent hours researching these books.This "price chart" turns out to be a CGC pricing guide from Comicspriceguide.com. Oh and did I mention that the comics were in BIG AZZ zip-locs? Anyway,the book he is flopping around turns out to be Fantastic Four #48 :censored: I could see the spine just cracking like hell.... He had a full run through at least #72,but they were over-graded by at least 2-4 full points.He then proceeded to show me that he had "bargain books" in 5 packs on another table that turned out to be Ducks and Archies that looked like they were very nice before this "professional grader" got ahold of them.Needless to say I walked out empty handed. :(

Anyway , going thru my notes , as I am yet just a novice in anything but funny books ( and that expertise could be argued , or totally refuted here. meh )

...........................................................................................

I would like to not only argue, but fully refute the assertion of funny book expertise. :makepoint:

:gossip: At least you didn't think the Miller play/novel included the line: "Some people call me the gangster of love, some people call me Maurice, wwwaaahhhh, wwwwooooww."

Went to the Post Office the other day and one of the employees tells me about some comics she saw at a local sale(These people know me too well lol ). She mentioned they seemed steep in price,I had no idea...

I arrive at the sale,which seems to be doing quite well,at least 25 cars blocking up everything lol . I quickly find my way to the comics and a nice gentlemen grabs up one of the books BY THE SPINE and commences to waving it around in my face,flip-flopping it around and showing me that each book has a price chart on the back and informing me that he had spent hours researching these books.This "price chart" turns out to be a CGC pricing guide from Comicspriceguide.com. Oh and did I mention that the comics were in BIG AZZ zip-locs? Anyway,the book he is flopping around turns out to be Fantastic Four #48 :censored: I could see the spine just cracking like hell.... He had a full run through at least #72,but they were over-graded by at least 2-4 full points.He then proceeded to show me that he had "bargain books" in 5 packs on another table that turned out to be Ducks and Archies that looked like they were very nice before this "professional grader" got ahold of them.Needless to say I walked out empty handed. :(

You should have called Hooks and had him go over since he seems to be in the habit of overpaying for books. hm

Collecting books is a LOT tougher than collecting vintage comic books. So many variables: 1st state/2nd state, books without indicators of print run, weird codes to indicate edition, book club editions, etc.

This is what makes it fun, but daunting. I've researched older books and even tried to hunt some down for my collection, but the variables always worried me. Did I have all the information? What if I'm wrong? Is this really the edition I'm looking for? It certainly adds to the thrill of the hunt, but so far, I've been unable to pull the trigger and make my first big kill.

"Death of a Salesman"(Arther Miller). ... Any of you whom may have graduated from JR. High here may be familiar with this important novel . \:\/

:gossip: It's a play, not a novel.

He does claim to be a novice remember!

You should have called Hooks and had him go over since he seems to be in the habit of overpaying for books. hm

Thanks Dice ... :makepoint:

:gossip:...if we need any jokes , we'll call "Dice Clay" , as in Andrew , got it !! BAAAABBAAAANGGG !!

...........................................................................................

I would like to not only argue, but fully refute the assertion of funny book expertise. :makepoint:

:gossip: At least you didn't think the Miller play/novel included the line: "Some people call me the gangster of love, some people call me Maurice, wwwaaahhhh, wwwwooooww."

May I call you Maurice ? :makepoint: