• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need some selling advice - slab got cracked during transit!!

27 posts in this topic

Hey guys, this is the first time I have this happen to me. I got this response from a buyer on ebay today about a slab I sold.

"Hello, thank you for the prompt shipment of my order! However, the cgc case has arrived cracked, what are my options? I know that this is not your fault, you packed this to survive a nuclear war. Thanks for your time."

I don't even know what options I should give him. I just got this slab back from cgc and it was perfect when I sent it. I packed it well in a box as I always do. In my response, I asked to see a picture of the crack and also explained the CGC reholder process and fees. Any advice from sellers that have had similar experiences? :o:o:o

So far I'm thinking of offering to pay for the reholder fee if he wishes to go that route.

I hate these situations as you know it goes from friendly to "you should have packed better" even though they should have asked for insurance.

How expensive was the book and do you have enough room to write off the $11 without it cutting into your costs?

I hate these situations as you know it goes from friendly to "you should have packed better" even though they should have asked for insurance.

How expensive was the book and do you have enough room to write off the $11 without it cutting into your costs?

:gossip: $41 with return shipping

:whistle:

Oh, I know with the cost of shipping involved, but I thought he was saying he was just going to cover the reholder fee.

It was $110 - X-men 94 in 4.0

With grading fees I pretty much broke even on this sale so, not really. But I would pay the $11 if it keeps the buyer happy.

Oh, I know with the cost of shipping involved, but I thought he was saying he was just going to cover the reholder fee.

That's a trick question :baiting:

Like I said, I hate these situations as the buyer should have requested insurance, and didn't, so now it starts to become your problem when it shouldn't.

I'd politely push for the photo to cover your butt it truly was cracked, and worst-case give him the $11 but NOT the shipping fees. He has to have some skin in the game for not choosing insurance, right?

Like I said, I hate these situations as the buyer should have requested insurance, and didn't, so now it starts to become your problem when it shouldn't.

I'd politely push for the photo to cover your butt it truly was cracked, and worst-case give him the $11 but NOT the shipping fees. He has to have some skin in the game for not choosing insurance, right?

I agree,I just hope the buyer will be ok with that resolution. I really do not feel like I should have to accept a return. I do accept returns on all of my items but they have to be returned in the same condition sent. Does anyone think I am responsible for accepting a return/refund in this situation. I feel bad for the buyer - I hardly ever ask for insurance on the slabs I buy - maybe I should from now on hm

Here was my response:

Hi (name of buyer),

I am really sorry to hear this. Was the box damaged? How bad is the crack? I just got this back from CGC so I am positive that the case was perfect when I sent it. can you send me a picture of the crack and the box? CGC will do a reholder service when a case is cracked. They only charge 11 dollars for this service. That is one option. The other option would be to crack it out of the case and keep it in a mylar. Personally, this is what I would do and keep the label. Unfortunately, I can't prevent any damage in transit to an item beyond packing it well. The good news is, a crack in a cgc case does not make the grade invalid but if you were ever to resell it I would recommend getting it reholdered by cgc. please let me know how bad the crack is and a picture would be even better.

--Jason

patiently awaiting his response

:wishluck:

Wishing the best in this situation. I also hate how eBay has unempowered sellers to protect themselves in these situations.

thanks - that's what worries me - the new feedback system has taken all responsibility from the buyer. well the initial response from the buyer seemed intelligent and calm - so at least that's a good sign.

Here was my response:

Hi (name of buyer),

I am really sorry to hear this. Was the box damaged? How bad is the crack? I just got this back from CGC so I am positive that the case was perfect when I sent it. can you send me a picture of the crack and the box? CGC will do a reholder service when a case is cracked. They only charge 11 dollars for this service. That is one option. The other option would be to crack it out of the case and keep it in a mylar. Personally, this is what I would do and keep the label. Unfortunately, I can't prevent any damage in transit to an item beyond packing it well. The good news is, a crack in a cgc case does not make the grade invalid but if you were ever to resell it I would recommend getting it reholdered by cgc. please let me know how bad the crack is and a picture would be even better.

--Jason

That is a well worded e-mail.

Get the buyer to send pictures of any box damage and the slab crack. Also, was insurance an option offered in the auction listing?

My biggest question is: when did we become collectors of plastic cases and not comic books? I find the anal retentiveness of slab condition obsessing very strange with high grade books. It's even stranger when the book is a 4.0. :screwy:

Here was my response:

Hi (name of buyer),

--Jason

That is a well worded e-mail.

Get the buyer to send pictures of any box damage and the slab crack. Also, was insurance an option offered in the auction listing?

My biggest question is: when did we become collectors of plastic cases and not comic books? I find the anal retentiveness of slab condition obsessing very strange with high grade books. It's even stranger when the book is a 4.0. :screwy:

I did not have insurance listed as an automated option in the auction. I really need to change this ASAP on my auctions. I have had a lot of buyers request insurance and I absolutely have no problem purchasing it - but for whatever reason I keep forgetting to put it in my auction listings as a option on every listing. doh!

I hear ya on the slab condition. That is soo true - I find myself worrying about the plastic enclosure sometimes and I always remind myself that its the book that matters. :makepoint: I'm curious to see how bad the crack is and what resolution the buyer asks of me...

You have 2 options.

1. Allow the seller to return the item, refund all but shipping

2. Offer to refund some of the money.

Here is reality.

If he paid for item by PayPal, it is an Item not as described claim, you will then have to allow paypal to resolve for you. The fact that insurance was not purchased is not a factor, Paypal will tell you it is YOUR responsibility to insure the packages. And if they find for the buyer you will be forced to accept a refund.

The one chance you have is the fact the buyer said you packed it well, but even then the item did have a crack in it. Paypal may assume you sent it cracked. I hate Paypal as a seller, but as a Buyer I know and feel overprotected.

My advice, keep it from paypal, and resolve it on your own. Best solution accept the return, refund the money except shipping, then either reholder it or resell it with crack disclosed, who knows maybe you will make more the 2nd time around. Also with the buyer he may feel that the hassle of return and losing shipping both ways is not worth the hassle.

As for the feedback, if you sell enough, provide good service, do not worry about the hit you may or may not take.

This has happened to me before also (as a seller) and what I do is offer to pay half of the reholder fee. At least that way you're sharing in the cost of the new slab with the buyer. And as far as return shipping goes, the buyer can always wait until he submits other comics to CGC and have it shipped back with them (assuming the buyer DOES have other stuff to send in). He would just need to submit the separate reholder form with the rest of the books.

The buyer already admitted it wasn't your fault. By offering to pay at least half of the reholder fee you're at least showing to the buyer that you want him to be at ease with the purchase.

I bought an SS slab from the States for around $120, and when it arrived it was cracked. Now the slab was very well packed but the slivers that were broke off were floating in the box and not inside the inner packaging which led me to believe the slab was cracked before it was packed.

I contacted the seller who told me to claim through insurance. The problem with that was 1) Neither USPS nor Royal Mail would pick up the tab as they both blamed each other. 2) I could only claim the reholder fee, not the $90 shipping fees to get it to Sarasota and back. 3) You can only claim after the book has been reholdered and you can provide an invoice/receipt.The sellers take on this? Not my problem, it was insured. So buyers don't always hold the power.

My advice? Just offer the $11 reholder fee. I'd be more than happy with that. As it stands I still own a cracked $120 SS slab.